PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get into JPM?

Zephyros
2007-06-18, 02:42 PM
We r starting a campaign in two weeks, and am gonna play the elven gishy dude...

So I reeeeeally need your advice.

I am thinking of some alternative ways..

1. 1 Warblade/ 5 Wizard (the classic)
2. Crusader / Battle (or stalwart) Sorcerer?
3. Full caster with martial study feats??

Plz give me a solid build... I need it :smallcool:

Another question I have is if Arcane wrath and Arcane Strike stack.

Thanks in advance.

edit: stats 18 18 14 14 14 16 (damn f*ckin' lucky :smallbiggrin: ).
almost all books allowed

ZeroNumerous
2007-06-18, 02:47 PM
I, personally, favor Crusader for JPM gishing.

But if you still want those caster-levels then I suggest stalwart sorcerer for that BAB bump.

Begle1
2007-06-18, 02:50 PM
What's JPM?

Jack Mann
2007-06-18, 02:52 PM
Jade Phoenix Mage, a gish prestige class from Tome of Battle.

The capstone ability allows you to explode one a week.

Tokiko Mima
2007-06-18, 02:53 PM
Jade Phoenix Mage, a PrC from the Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords, I suspect.

Edit: Simu'ed! Great minds think alike, though.

brian c
2007-06-18, 03:32 PM
It depends what you want your character to do after you have levels in JPM- do you want to be a spellcaster with melee effectiveness if needed, or are you going to be fighting more often?

I'm DMing a Tome of Battle campaign right now, and I'm going to have an NPC Jade Phoenix Mage, going in as a straight Battle Sorcerer (picking up maneuvers with Martial Study). You get more caster levels at the expense of some metamagic feats, but caster level is generally more important.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-06-18, 03:41 PM
Usually, when I'm making JPM's, if I want them to bring the pain to their enemies, I use warblade/wizards. If I want a decent tank I use crusader/sorcerers or wizards. An epic character I made recently was a Wizard/Crusader/Abjurant Champion/Jade Phoenix Mage who seems an effective tank, actually.

In a campaign I have been DMing there is a Swordsage/Warmage/Ebon Phoenix mage(evil variant for the Jade's good). He's rather good at dishing out damage when he needs to.

Fax Celestis
2007-06-18, 04:07 PM
I hear good things about Duskblade 5/Warblade 1/JPM X.

Zephyros
2007-06-18, 04:21 PM
Duskblade huh?

That would be like a heavy spell-slot consuming monster (use spell with wrath and channel another in your blade? rofl... and then discharge it with a strike??? DM with headache :smallbiggrin: )