PDA

View Full Version : Paladin/Abjurant Champion

Lvl45DM!
2016-02-29, 04:50 AM
If a Paladin takes Sword of the Arcane Order, and fills his paladin slot with a wizard spell, abjuration obviously, does he fulfill the criteria for Abjurant Champion?
Relevant text
Abjurant Champion Must be able to cast 1st level arcane spells, including at least one abjuration spell.
Sword of the Arcane Order: You can use your paladin and ranger spell slots prepare wizard spells.

If not, if I take Sword of the Arcane Order and then Dynamic Priest, then would my SotAO spells also use my CHA?

Just having some fun building the ULTIMATE PALADIN SPELLCASTER, using only the paladin spell list.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-02-29, 05:19 AM
Neither SotAO nor dynamic priest actually makes you able to cast arcane spells. Southern magician will do the trick though. Any paladin spell of the abjuration school will take care of that portion of the requirement.

Be aware that this will likely be seen as dubious and it's ultimately a fairly small gain even if it does work the way you want.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-02-29, 07:17 AM
It's true that SotAO doesn't make your casting arcane, even if you cast like a wizard in all other aspects.
And Dynamic Priest only affects your paladin casting, but it doesn't have any effect on SotAO spells since the feat specifies that you use int like a wizard, no matter what your normal spellcasting attribute is.

Qualification aside, Abjurant Champion specifies that it advances casting from an arcane spellcasting class, which a paladin is not no matter what shenanigans you pull.

All class abilities except Martial Arcanist work with divine casting, but a paladin can hardly afford to lose 4-5 levels of casting progression.

Mr Adventurer
2016-02-29, 08:34 AM
I'm not sure what Abjurant Champion would add to the spellcasting of a Paladin even if you could pull it off?

There might be some overlap with the Battle Blessing feat and the... Companion Spirit? Alternate Class Feature, both from Complete Champion IIRC.

LoyalPaladin
2016-02-29, 11:06 AM
It sounds like you want to build a Sorcadin, but without the Sorc... I'm not sure how to add anything helpful to this build. I guess... if you're casting paladin spells, get Battle Blessing?

Waazraath
2016-02-29, 11:20 AM
Page 52, complete mage, 'adaption', "this class can be made into a prestige class for divine magic by altering the casting requirement", or something like that. You can use it already, if you want to, without any shenanigans.

But is it really worth it? You loose smite, LoH, and mount progression, for benefits that aren't that great, are they? Ok, +5 AC on greater lumninous armor is nice, but you won't have enough spells to sack for bonusses, and can quicken all spells (not just abjuration) with the already mentioned battle blessing.