PDA

View Full Version : Possible Lycanthrope Change

torrasque666
2016-02-29, 12:14 PM
I'm trying to get a feel for how this change might affect balance.

How much would it screw with balance if Lycanthropy was changed to a static level adjustment (+2/+3) and no Animal RHD, with a time limit on the duration of the change (like 2*HD rounds for afflicted, 3*HD for natural. scaling like a barbarian's rage for times/day). Does this make it too good? Not good enough?

ComaVision
2016-02-29, 12:16 PM
The main problem with that is that you get way more out of some types of lycanthropy than others. For example, werebear is wayyy better than werewolf.

torrasque666
2016-02-29, 12:20 PM
The main problem with that is that you get way more out of some types of lycanthropy than others. For example, werebear is wayyy better than werewolf.

True. Would likely needsome sort of scaling DC (control shape to voluntarily change, will save for an involuntary change to not become "frenzied", IE attacking everything in sight) based on the animal's HD.

ComaVision
2016-02-29, 12:30 PM
What I've ruled for my games is that there's no LA and you just take the RHD. You don't have to take all the RHD though, and I split up the stat bonuses and NA a la Savage Progressions. First RHD gets you DR 5/Silver, second gets you DR 10/Silver. I think that makes it a more viable option.

MisterKaws
2016-02-29, 12:33 PM
Basically a Bite of the Were-X plus Enlarge/Shrink and some DR. Too strong on low levels for the lower investment depending on the animal, too weak on higher levels because it's just an extra cast of something you could do with a custom item.

Troacctid
2016-02-29, 04:21 PM
I'd take +2 LA to turn into a Legendary Bear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/legendaryAnimal.htm) whenever my HP drops below 75%. Seems like good value.

torrasque666
2016-02-29, 05:33 PM
I'd take +2 LA to turn into a Legendary Bear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/legendaryAnimal.htm) whenever my HP drops below 75%. Seems like good value.
And that's one of the reasons for the scaling DC. Now I need to figure out what kind of scale to use. Possibly.... 2*HD for a voluntary change and 1.5 HD to prevent a frenzy on an involuntary. I want to balance Risk vs Reward.

Crake
2016-02-29, 08:54 PM
I just use my optional gestalt/LA system which basically gestalts the LA and racial HD of templates/monster races with class levels using a savage progression. I've tested it with both of the two main "over LAed" templates in the MM1, vampire and lycanthrope, and it seemed to work pretty beautifully on both of them. If you want to peek at the rules, there's a link in my sig.

In both cases I used the online savage progressions for both of them.