PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Holy Ice spell (wall version) : would the steamy fog from melting it cause holy dmg ?

duboisjf
2016-02-29, 12:33 PM
Holy Ice can work just as Wall of ice.

Suddenly melting a Wall of Ice creat a steamy fog for 10 minutes.

Is it ridiculous to argue that this fog could cause damage similar to holy water ?

Holy damage is still applied when the wall is broken so maybe it's not too much of a stretch ...

Would you allow it ?

I know am in "ask you DM" zone.

I'm looking for advice to make a proposition for my DM.

I plan to use this against demon that will have to breathe each round in this fog. So I'm trying to guess a reasonable area/type of fog/damage.

Zaq
2016-02-29, 12:57 PM
By "holy damage" you mean the damage dealt by holy water (so it damages undead and similar creatures and leaves other things alone)?

You're basically in "ask your GM" territory. On the one hand, spells and other abilities do what they say they do, nothing more, nothing less. It would make the cloud of steamy fog (it is "as Wall of Ice," and it doesn't have anything overriding that part of Wall of Ice), but there's nothing saying that the cloud of steamy fog it makes is actually holy water. On the other hand, you do make a reasonable point about the lingering damage after it is broken (not melted, but broken) being partially holy water damage.

By RAW, nothing explicitly says that the steamy fog is holy water, so it isn't holy water. It wouldn't be an unreasonable houserule for the GM to say that the steamy fog works like holy water (perhaps dilute holy water, but still), but you would need a favorable GM ruling for it to work, because I don't think the RAW bears it out.

Florian
2016-02-29, 01:00 PM
Holy Ice can work just as Wall of ice.

Suddenly melting a Wall of Ice creat a steamy fog for 10 minutes.

Is it ridiculous to argue that this fog could cause holy damage ?

Holy damage is still applied when the wall is broken so maybe it's not too much of a stretch ...

Would you allow it ?

Counting as "Holy" against DR and being the "Holy" weapon enhancement are two different pairs of shoes.

So no, the ability to circumvent DR does not translate into the enhancement, so the "steamy fog" would not be particularly deadly.

duboisjf
2016-02-29, 01:12 PM
By "holy damage" you mean the damage dealt by holy water (so it damages undead and similar creatures and leaves other things alone)?

Excatly that.

I know am in "ask you DM" zone.

I'm looking for advice to make a proposition for my DM. Sorry, I should have been more specific about that.

I plan to use this against demon that will have to breathe each round in this fog. So I'm trying to guess a reasonable area/type of fog/damage.

I'll edit my OP.