PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder - help me make a mace using inquisitor interesting!

Gallowglass
2016-02-29, 12:35 PM
Help!

So I have been playing in a new game with a reach inquisitor (inquisitor with heirloom weapon Fauchard trait, defensive strategist trait, combat reflexes and combat expertise feat at 1st level, intending to get improved trip at 3rd.) using the same modus operandi as a reach cleric (cast spells, take AoO when the enemy comes in range.)

We are playing a homemade spin on a greek world and the DM has made it clear that magic items and magic weapons are going to be few and far in-between with next to no ability to buy magic weapons of our own choice.

I have found a magic mace. Mace +1 with a custom special ability: When you wield it a shield of glowing sunlight appears on your shield arm that will do 1d6+1 fire damage to anyone who hits you. (so like an always on fire shield). The problem is, my build is completely wrong for a mace weilder. ESPECIALLY when sword and board is out due to the fire shield special (and the extreme shortage of feats)

However, thanks to a boon from my goddess shenanigans, I've been given the chance to "rebuild" around the mace. Basically redo my two traits and two feats as I level up to 3rd level.

So here is my problem. I have NO IDEA how to make wielding this mace interesting or effective. I'm looking for any suggestions. I have two traits, three regular feats, and one teamwork feat (which I will get to use whether anyone else has it or not thanks to inquisitor) to work with.

Sword and Board is out. The DM has made it clear that a regular shield will interact badly with the sun shield. Reach and AoO is out. Crit-fishing is out (mace is 20x2). I think I can finagle using the mace two handed (not like the shield is giving me a shield bonus, just doing damage when I'm hit) or I could POSSIBLY (but not confidently) finagle two weapon (no reason not to wield another weapon in the off hand I suppose) If I could figure out how to without a wealth of bonus feats to look forward to.

I'm not broken hearted about this, I don't feel railroaded. Its obvious now that this DM favors encounters that my original build wasn't working for anyway, so this is going to ultimately be a good thing if I can figure out a way to make swinging my mace INTERESTING to me.

also: I have very little experience with PoW, but if there is a good warder or stalker build that could synergize with the mace, I'd be happy to dip. Its a low op game where I don't think losing a couple levels of inquisitor (a low op class to start with IMO) is going to kill me.

also also: I could potentially completely rebuild as an Oracle or Paladin rather than an Inquisitor if there is a good oracle or paladin build to synergize. The goddess boon is centered around her wanting me to be more of an oracle than an inquisitor anyway so I don't see why not. If I can make it interesting an in character, the DM seems lenient.

Geddy2112
2016-02-29, 01:00 PM
It is a mace...you hit people with it. The harder you hit, the more damage you do....

You want power attack for sure, even without full BAB it is your best way to get damage. Can you use the fire shield to shield bash? If so, take two weapon fighting, shield bash, and shield slam. Double awesome if it can use the fire damage when it bashes. If not, just 2 hand the thing and maul people, or keep the shield as needed.

What is your domain/inquisition? None of these really are synergistic for or against a mace...I mean, it is a mace.

If you wanna go oracle, battle or metal are good mysteries. Both grant heavy armor proficiency and more beatstick frontline fighting.

Paladin is basically the same as inquisitor-power attack, shield bash if you can, 2 hand if you cant. Judgement is more versatile than smite, but less powerful. Inquisitors get more spells, pallys get better saves and are cha based+lay on hands...really just preference.

Florian
2016-02-29, 01:05 PM
There literally is no way no make a Heavy Mace an interesting weapon. Ever.

You put that weapon in the hands of enemy Inquisitor/Magus so that they donīt destroy a character by simple accident of a high crit and leave it at that.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-02-29, 01:07 PM
Your first bet should be to try and two-hand it-- that's generally your best bet for any melee. All you really need then is Power Attack, then you can concentrate more on casting support. Cornugan Smash is fun and thematic, but that's a ways off (6th-7th level). Or you could try asking if the sun-shield could be used as a regular shield when manifested, maybe adding the fire damage when you bash with it. In which case take TWF and Improved Shield Bash at first.

EDIT: Pretty much swordsage'd

Geddy2112
2016-02-29, 01:10 PM
There literally is no way no make a Heavy Mace an interesting weapon. Ever.

You put that weapon in the hands of enemy Inquisitor/Magus so that they donīt destroy a character by simple accident of a high crit and leave it at that.

It competes with morningstar for best 1 handed simple weapon, great for any class that can't use better weapons. Even for a "just in case" on a caster.
And no, it is not flashy or interesting, but this is not some inquisition of fancy weapons or flashy displays. Just beat the sin out of somebody with a heavy thing. In a world of magic and exotic weapons, there is something incredibly metal about beating somebody's brains out with a heavy piece of metal on the end of a stick.

Elder_Basilisk
2016-02-29, 01:35 PM
If your DM is open to incorporating 3.5 material, ask if you can get Three Mountains Style. It's a 3.5 tactical feat that added a number of interesting options for heavy mace users.

Otherwise, it's a perfectly serviceable weapon. If you want interesting in the build, you can take the step up line of feats to become something of a lock-down character. Get next to a spellcaster and if they 5' step to cast a spell, follow them and AoO anyway. Eventually get step up and strike so you hit them if they even try and then get to hit them again if they cast the spell.

Another option would be to go full on switch hitter. Get a composite longbow. Carry it in your shield hand and use it to start combats or when convenient. If enemies close with you or melee is what's called for, quickdraw your mace and bash them over the head. If you want to switch back to the bow, drop your mace and full attack with your bow.

Florian
2016-02-29, 02:04 PM
It competes with morningstar for best 1 handed simple weapon, great for any class that can't use better weapons. Even for a "just in case" on a caster.
And no, it is not flashy or interesting, but this is not some inquisition of fancy weapons or flashy displays. Just beat the sin out of somebody with a heavy thing. In a world of magic and exotic weapons, there is something incredibly metal about beating somebody's brains out with a heavy piece of metal on the end of a stick.

He asked about a build that can really incorporate it, not the case when thereīs simply nothing better around.

Iīm not averse to simply beating the living snot out of your target with a baneīd weapon, thatīs not the basis of a good build.