PDA

View Full Version : Best spells to go underwater

Dyslexic
2016-02-29, 12:55 PM
We must go into an aquatic dungeon.

We have a cleric 11 and a mage 11. Wich spell we can prepare to survive?

Thank you

Beheld
2016-02-29, 03:03 PM
1) You need a plan for dispels. If you get dispelled, you dead. So have teleports and stuff, if it comes to that.

2) FOr the actual act of going into the dungeon, the single spell you need is Cloak of the Sea. It's a level 5 Druid/ 6 for Wizard spell with a duration of 1 hour per level. You can extend that if you need to. You'd be a better judge of the liklihood of that. But a Druid with a Prayer bead can slap that on for 15 hours from a 5th level slot, so pass around one to everyone. It grants:

While underwater, the subject functions as if affected by blur (PH 206), freedom of movement (PH 233), and water breathing (PH 300),and doesn't take nonlethal damage for the duration of the spell.

So basically, immunity to nonlethal, FoM, and waterbreathing, all of which you sort of need for a deep dive, but then also free always on blur.

Dyslexic
2016-02-29, 03:14 PM
WOW! So strong. Thank you!

Fizban
2016-02-29, 11:02 PM
For magic items, my favorite is the Beruto of the Carp Dragon (Dragon Magic), which gives both swim speed and underwater breathing for dirt cheap. You can outfit the whole party for the price of one Necklace of Adaptation, and dispels will only suppress it for 1d4 rounds. Even if you're using Cloak of the Sea it'd make a nice safety.

eggynack
2016-02-29, 11:10 PM
For the wizard, I like complete mage's heart of water. Hours of a swim speed and underwater breathing, and you get access to a fancy freedom of movement effect that'd be worth the spell on its own.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-02-29, 11:41 PM
You could get scrolls of PAO and change into aquatic/amphibious creatures for a few days/until you dispell the new form.

Dyslexic
2016-03-03, 05:41 AM
Thanks!

I'm sorry but we can't use no magic objects because the DM is a...****