PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Alternative for mid-boss in module

Arael666
2016-02-29, 04:01 PM
Hi there playground.

I've been modifying the sunless citadel for more optimized parties, and I wanted your opinion on what to do about one of the bosses. Spoilers ahead.

The dragonpriest specifically.

His CR ramained 5 even after reducing ability scores and preventing him from rending, that and he starts the encounter with a big disadvantage, so I wanted to change the form he turns himself into and maybe the way the party find/release him.

First and foremost, I really don't like the fact that he turned himself into a troll. The guy is dragonpriest and his big idea is to turn himself into a troll? I don't buy it. Then again, the fact that he is a troll explains how he survived milenia trapped inside a coffin.

Another point is the CR stated for the fight, wich is 5. Even if it really isn't 5 in reality, I don't think making it harder would be good, in my experience PC tend to open the chamber mid level 2, and a CR 5 encounter would be devastating even for prepared parties.

A thought about changing him to a forest troll at first (mm 3) based only on CR, I also though about just making him a necropolitan ceric 5.

Do you guys have any sugestion of a new form that would be tematic to the dragonpriest and at the same time explain how he survived being buried alive?

I'm also using the phalanx goblin idea from a post I saw here once, if you also had fun while tweaking this module I would very much like to hear your ideas and experiences.

Flickerdart
2016-02-29, 05:26 PM
Make him a 5th level Dragon Shaman or Dragonfire Adept. He gets to be pretty dragony, but not very threatening.

Coidzor
2016-02-29, 06:09 PM
The Draconic template is a +1 LA,+1 CR template that adds claws and some strength and charisma. Dragonborn of Bahamut erases a base race and gives wings or a breath weapon or a third thing that I always forget, resistances I think; that could be adapted to your purposes as a forbidden ritual.

You could also look at the humanoid-shaped Spawn of Tiamat. IIRC they're in MM5 for the most part. Beyond that, there are Dragonkin which are another form of dragon man, I forget their source, though, maybe draconomicon or races of the dragon.

Or you could refluff an advanced Kobold that you advanced to Large Size and used the online racial variant that gives a claw-claw-bite.

I think being in suspended animation from the sarcophagus is why he survived the years, though.

Arael666
2016-02-29, 06:24 PM
Make him a 5th level Dragon Shaman or Dragonfire Adept. He gets to be pretty dragony, but not very threatening.

I was not very familiar with those classes, so I had to read them. My impression is that while they fit the team perfectly, they wont be more than a nuisance for my PC's. The dragon shaman has the HP and cna take quite a bit of damage, but lacks DPS to really be a threat a midboss should be, and the Dragonfire adept, while having nice damage output and being able to slow the party, will not be able to follow up on damage if he cant use his breath weapon more often.

Thanks for the idea, it was a good read. If you think I'm misjudging something please say so, I tend to overlook a few things when I'm in a rush.

The Draconic template is a +1 LA,+1 CR template that adds claws and some strength and charisma. Dragonborn of Bahamut erases a base race and gives wings or a breath weapon or a third thing that I always forget, resistances I think; that could be adapted to your purposes as a forbidden ritual.

You could also look at the humanoid-shaped Spawn of Tiamat. IIRC they're in MM5 for the most part. Beyond that, there are Dragonkin which are another form of dragon man, I forget their source, though, maybe draconomicon or races of the dragon.

Or you could refluff an advanced Kobold that you advanced to Large Size and used the online racial variant that gives a claw-claw-bite.

I think being in suspended animation from the sarcophagus is why he survived the years, though.

The blackspawn seems a perfect fit for what I want to do (it was in MM4 btw :smallwink:), thnaks a lot. I'll study if I'll aplly a template to it or not to make him more sustainable.

ksbsnowowl
2016-02-29, 11:39 PM
I discuss the Dragonpriest and his stats in this post (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=14113.msg251489#msg251489) of my Sunless Citadel campaign journal. I can give you the reconfigured stat block, if you like what I describe.