PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Random Build Challenge

PeteNutButter
2016-02-29, 07:05 PM
Ever been at the table with another party member that has 6 odd stats? Maybe a fighter that dumped con? A rogue with all mental stats? Inexperienced or bad players exist and we have started somewhere, but in an effort to replicate the efforts we go to help our teammates salvage their characters (if they even let us help), I am proposing a simple build challenge.

The challenge is thus: Roll 2d6, a 1d12, and percentile dice. Each d6 corresponds with a primary stat: str is 1, dex 2, etc. Using a 27 point buy, for the two stats you rolled one must be a 15 and the other at least a 14. (if you rolled doubles, yay!) Now that d12? Bet you guessed it. Go to page 45 in your phb, you rolled your starting class. Those percentile dice are your race, going off of the Reincarnate spell on page 271.

The challenge is to make a character with these random rolls viable, and even seem like on purpose. If you roll a monk with a 15 INT, then how can you make it look like it was on purpose that you took first lvl in monk? The worse your start, the better the salvage. Bonus points if you can even come up with a practical RP reason for your class(es), but not required. Also feel free to offer "improvements" on other people's rolled builds.

I rolled a 5 and a 4 on my d6s, so that's Int and wis, and a 7 on my d12 so that's paladin, 51% makes rock gnome! woot! Starting stats 13 str, 8 dex, 9 con, 17 int, 14 wis, 13 cha.
Gnobby is a paladin that will leave his poor paladin class at lvl 3, take a lvl of war cleric for occasional extra attack, then progress as a full wizard (abjurer), smiting away as he goes. First ASI goes to str and int, then take resilient con.
Gnobby always wanted to be a champion, but soon realized he wasn't cut out for it, so he took to devout prayer, but that didn't work very well for him either. He found he was best at studying magic with his natural smarts.

CantigThimble
2016-02-29, 07:08 PM
Wait, how do you determine the other 4 stats? Standard array? Point buy?

PeteNutButter
2016-02-29, 07:08 PM
Wait, how do you determine the other 4 stats? Standard array? Point buy?

Point buy sorry, ill edit it.

Belac93
2016-02-29, 07:36 PM
I'll roll in real life, because the roller is being screwy
2d6=1, 1
1d12=5
1d100=32
Primary is strength, class is fighter, and race is high elf. Great, eldritch knight.

CantigThimble
2016-02-29, 07:41 PM
So, primary stats are Str and Cha, race is rock gnome and class is… wizard. Not too bad.

Str: 15
Dex: 8
Con: 10
Int: 14
Wis: 14
Cha: 14

Multiclass into tempest cleric immediately for 2 levels to gain heavy armor proficiency and channel divinity. Then go diviner up to level 5. You now have booming blade, 16 str and the ability to use a 54 damage lightning bolt that someone already failed their save against. After that go straight tempest cleric to get more channel divinity, more at will damage and booming blade with knockback on it. Your int and wis aren’t great so spell selection should reflect that. Pick up lucky and use that and portent to demolish bosses with either maximized lightning bolts or maximized witch bolts depending on your portent rolls. You miss out on higher level spells known but that hardly matters since your best slot should almost always go to one of those two.

PeteNutButter
2016-02-29, 08:13 PM
So, primary stats are Str and Cha, race is rock gnome and class is… wizard. Not too bad.

Str: 15
Dex: 8
Con: 10
Int: 14
Wis: 14
Cha: 14

Multiclass into tempest cleric immediately for 2 levels to gain heavy armor proficiency and channel divinity. Then go diviner up to level 5. You now have booming blade, 16 str and the ability to use a 54 damage lightning bolt that someone already failed their save against. After that go straight tempest cleric to get more channel divinity, more at will damage and booming blade with knockback on it. Your int and wis aren’t great so spell selection should reflect that. Pick up lucky and use that and portent to demolish bosses with either maximized lightning bolts or maximized witch bolts depending on your portent rolls. You miss out on higher level spells known but that hardly matters since your best slot should almost always go to one of those two.

If I didn't make it clear, the 15 and 14 use up your points leaving you with only 11 points to spend left over. It's a key limiting factor of the challenge.

CantigThimble
2016-02-29, 08:16 PM
If I didn't make it clear, the 15 and 14 use up your points leaving you with only 11 points to spend left over. It's a key limiting factor of the challenge.

I miscounted by 1. Knock a point off con until you get you get your first ASI and then boost it and str.

PeteNutButter
2016-02-29, 11:36 PM
Just rolling this a bunch of times, its remarkable how many of these are actually playable. Even the ones that are downright bad, still benefit from having a level or two in whatever class they are forced to start as.

CaptAl
2016-03-01, 12:13 AM
That's one of my favorite parts about 5e. It's really hard to make an unplayable character. No in depth study of 15 different splat books is needed. Just get your idea together and go.

bid
2016-03-01, 12:21 AM
Str / Wis cleric human...
Dex / Cha cleric lightfoot...
Dex / Cha fighter lightfoot...
Dex / Wis monk rock...

I'm sorry, the dice keep on cooperating. :smallamused:

PeteNutButter
2016-03-01, 07:56 AM
Str / Wis cleric human...
Dex / Cha cleric lightfoot...
Dex / Cha fighter lightfoot...
Dex / Wis monk rock...

I'm sorry, the dice keep on cooperating. :smallamused:

The worst ones seem to involve Druid. How do you salvage a str/int Druid? Lvl one Druid is so bad and you'll never have decent AC without dex since they can't wear metal. You could just go moon Druid but then the str is wasted. Mc into wizard and you either have no dex or con. Race is dragonborn btw.