PDA

View Full Version : Werewolf + Wererat = ?

Dark Knight Renee
2007-06-18, 03:49 PM
Inspired by this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47839), it occured to me to wonder what would happen (ruleswise or just hypothetically) if two differant types of werecreature were to mate. After all, they should pass on their condition to their offspring...

Kurald Galain
2007-06-18, 03:54 PM
Well, you probably get a rat that turns into a wolf when the moon is full. Or a wolf that turns into a rat when there's cheese nearby.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-18, 03:54 PM
Weredog....

Captain van der Decken
2007-06-18, 03:56 PM
Well.. I'd guess either a dominance relationship(either the werewolf or the wererat genes are suppressed and the other is dominant) or you'd stat up a wolf/rat hybrid, then make a lycanthrope out of that.

Or a were-chihuahua.

Ali
2007-06-18, 04:39 PM
A werewolf and a wererat.... well, presuming they co-operated long enough to perform 'the Nasty', I think perhaps the result would be a super-shifting lycanthrope that changes into a wererat when sad and a werewolf when exited.

Shift in Tone
2007-06-18, 04:42 PM
You get a litter. Like the old school cartoons where three of them look like the wererat and one looks like the werewolf.

martyboy74
2007-06-18, 04:54 PM
You get a litter. Like the old school cartoons where three of them look like the wererat and one looks like the werewolf.

Would the werewolf's name be Aleu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balto_II:_Wolf_Quest), by any chance? :smallbiggrin:

Amphimir Míriel
2007-06-18, 05:04 PM

You win :smallwink:

herrhauptmann
2007-06-18, 05:53 PM
I'm reminded of an old Ravenloft Novel. One character was both were-minx (by birth) and a werewolf by infection.
She could change into either at will, including at the full moon.

It was a very bad book. I highly recommend not reading it.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-06-18, 07:02 PM
Werewolf because it is the stronger animal and kills the rat or unusual lycanthrope with wold as the animal form and rat for the hybrid.

Ditto
2007-06-18, 07:34 PM
WereRat + WereWolf = WereRowlf
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z54/DittoTOL/WereRowlf.jpg

I'm fairly certain the wererat would resent that remark. Don't you know that all wererats are powerful mages and eat werewolves for breakfast?

The Glyphstone
2007-06-18, 08:41 PM
On a semi-related note...is there any rule against giving a single humanoid, say, the Werewolf template AND the Wererat template? And if it's legal, what happens if you do?

Quietus
2007-06-18, 08:44 PM
On a semi-related note...is there any rule against giving a single humanoid, say, the Werewolf template AND the Wererat template? And if it's legal, what happens if you do?

Not sure... but wouldn't it be entirely possible to just give them the Lycanthrope bloodline?

SalientGreen
2007-06-18, 08:54 PM
Inspired by this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47839), it occured to me to wonder what would happen (ruleswise or just hypothetically) if two differant types of werecreature were to mate. After all, they should pass on their condition to their offspring...

Were-Mutt.

Or a Toyota Prius.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-18, 08:55 PM
Something that's nearly impossible to find.

*rim shot*

Ditto
2007-06-18, 08:56 PM
I haven't read the section on templates for a while, but I believe that (mechanics-wise) you can add any number of acquired templates. Just apply them one at a time, and treat the character as rat-blooded AND wolf-blooded AND half-gold-fey-undead-blooded when the issue comes up, whichever will be most detrimental. :smallsmile:

Pyro
2007-06-18, 09:20 PM
I feel so happy that I'm an inspiration. I should be a role model!

As for the question I'm going for half wolf, half rat, and half human baby. Yes I know that impossible. But this is D&D right. Wizards regularly violate the laws of thermodynamics. I bet they can do the same with the basic principles of math.

*Goes off researching a spell that makes 3/2 = 1*

my_evil_twin
2007-06-18, 09:21 PM
I think the litter theory makes the most sense and the least mess.

If you want to stack different lycanthropies on one creature, I would perhaps say there's no level adjustment except for the first. Since the creature can't use more than one form at a time, it's basically advancing with animal HD by taking more templates.

Don't keep applying that +2 to wisdom. That would just be silly.

I would rule that, based on alignment, the lycanthrope could only control one form at a time. (Since you automatically, permanently change your alignment to match any animal form you take on purpose, letting a player take any form voluntarily would be playing musical chairs with their alignment. Pure munchkinry.) The other forms would be afflictions.

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-18, 11:03 PM
Heh. All these threads remind me of Shrek 2. Granted, those were Half-Dragon Donkeys(Magical Beast Donkey, of course), but you have to wonder about the sudden increase in strange cross-breeds. :smallwink:

Kurald Galain
2007-06-19, 04:03 AM

Does anyone read Elf Only Inn?

"I'm a vampire - half"

Matthew
2007-06-19, 09:25 PM
Yep, I do. It's pretty good.