PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] "Acorn Trick"

Thurbane
2016-02-29, 09:51 PM
I often see references to the "Acorn Trick" in optimization discussions.

What exactly is this? I vaguely recall an online article about Dryads having some kind of magical acorn that lets them travel away from their trees - is this what it refers to?

Also, how exactly can the infamous acorn be exploited?

Cheers - T

Werephilosopher
2016-02-29, 09:54 PM
Acorn of Far Travel. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a) So long as you hold the acorn, you count as stand under the canopy of the tree you took it from. This lets dryads move away from their tree; it also lets you, for instance, count as standing on a plane with different magic or time traits while you're on the material plane. There's doubtless other ways to abuse it.

Malimar
2016-02-29, 09:55 PM
I often see references to the "Acorn Trick" in optimization discussions.

What exactly is this? I vaguely recall an online article about Dryads having some kind of magical acorn that lets them travel away from their trees - is this what it refers to?

Also, how exactly can the infamous acorn be exploited?

Cheers - T

Yes, the spell acorn of far travel, which allows anyone who carries the acorn to be considered to be under the tree it came from.

The exploits involve using an spell on a tree on a plane with favorable traits. A plane with a time trait that gives you several turns of action per round, for example. Or a plane with one of those traits that lets you apply metamagic for free.

Jack_Simth
2016-02-29, 09:57 PM
Well, the spell in question (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a) is on WotC's archives, publically accessible to all. The useful passage:

Acorn of far travel must be cast upon an acorn that is still attached to a living oak tree. As you cast the spell, the spirit of the oak tree wells into the acorn, which detaches into your hand once the casting is complete. As long as you carry the acorn (and as long as the acorn is not stored in an extradimensional space like a bag of holding), you are considered to be standing under that oak tree's canopy (and thus within an area of forested terrain). Whenever you cast a spell that has additional effects when cast in forested terrain (such as deadfall, creaking cacophony, fey ring, or splinterbolt), you can choose to use the acorn as an additional material component for that spell. Doing so consumes the acorn immediately, but the spell's effects manifest as if you stood in forested terrain no matter what your actual location. Likewise, you can use the acorn as an oak tree for spells like tree stride or transport via plants; this also consumes the acorn. (emphasis added)

Extra Anchovies
2016-02-29, 10:04 PM
It's also incredibly useful with the Hathran prestige class - as long as they're within the boundaries of Rashemen (a condition which makes the PrC Faerūn-only), a prepared caster with levels of Hathran can cast spontaneously from their entire list of spells known, e.g. their spellbooks or their entire class list.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-29, 10:05 PM
Not only can you (ab)use planar traits this way, but if you can add magical properties to the ground under the tree (such as via hallow), you can give yourself long-term buffs that way.

And if your tree's plane is timeless in regards to magical effects, not only will the acorn last forever so long as you hold it, but any buffs you give to yourself will also be permanent.

Irk
2016-02-29, 10:36 PM
You use the acorn of far travel in combination with sanctum spell for metamagic reduction, is how I've heard it at least.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-29, 10:52 PM
You use the acorn of far travel in combination with sanctum spell for metamagic reduction, is how I've heard it at least.You can do that, yes, though I find that casting spells outside of your sanctum is much more powerful and abusive, overall.

Cerefel
2016-02-29, 11:01 PM
One that I've heard was using Wizard of the Sun and Moon ACF to be considered both aboveground in daylight hours and underground at the same time to give yourself more options with prepared slots.

Irk
2016-03-01, 12:14 AM
You can do that, yes, though I find that casting spells outside of your sanctum is much more powerful and abusive, overall.

I did misread Sanctum Spell. Depending on the metamagic feat you're using in conjunction with it, it might not matter.

TiaC
2016-03-01, 03:02 AM
The cheesiest use I've seen is making a plane with wildly varying traits and having a construct minion walk around carrying a bonsai oak tree.

"Oh, we're fighting a wizard? Go to the Dead Magic zone then."

"I need to fly? Subjective gravity to the rescue."

"Time for buffs? Go to the enhanced magic zone that persists all of them."

Eldan
2016-03-01, 05:13 AM
That's just genius. Plane-shifting golem with a bonsai tree.

YOu know, that's a great idea for a Planescape encounter.