PDA

View Full Version : Spells that give reusable abilities

ATHATH
2016-02-29, 11:36 PM
I recently came across the Death Dragon spell, and it inspired me to make a pseudo-Warlock Archivist/Turn Undead-Granting Class/Binder/Anima Mage. The idea is that I use DMM and Exploit Vestige (and Ocular Spell, if necessary) to persist a bunch of buffs that give me reusable abilities while they're active, thus becoming a Warlock with better powers. I don't know many spells like that, though, which is why I'm asking the playground for help.

Although I would prefer Divine spells that give me more than one use of an ability, I would still appreciate non-Divine submissions and spells like the Heart of X line. Here are the qualifying spells that I have found so far:

Death Dragon: Gives at-will usage of Inflict Critical Wounds (can the Mastery of Day and Night feat Maximize these Inflicts?) and Cause Fear and increases the save DC's of those spells to those of 7th level spells
Heart of X: Gives a passive bonus and a one-time use spell
Contingency and its variants: Gives a one-time use of a spell when a certain trigger is activated
Crown of the Grave: Gives the ability to use Command once every five rounds on an Undead creature, bypassing their normal immunities to Mind-Affecting effects
Produce Flames: You can fling fireballs as a standard action
Call Lightning: You can call up to your CL or 10 (whichever is smaller) lightning bolts
Undermaster: Gain a bunch of Earth-based SLA's
Divine Insight: Gain a bonus to a skill check at some point during the spell's duration
Fiendform: Turns you into a fiend that can be summoned with SM lV
Kiss of the Vampire: Gives you some cool vampiric abilities
Innate Spell (feat): Gain the ability to cast a spell as an at-will SLA (with XP costs) by sacrificing a spell slot that's 8 levels higher (can a Mind Mage make a 9th level spell count as a 1st level spell to get Shades as an at-will SLA?)
Weapons of Legacy: Some of the abilities of a Weapon of Legacy can be used at-will
Minor Schemas, Eternal Wands, etc.: Invoke to cast a spell X (depends on the item) times per day
Mental Pinnacle: Gives some PP and some PLA's

Copied From Cruiser1 (Thanks!):

Bolts of Bedevilment (SC), Brd 5: Gain ray attack that dazes for 3 rounds.
Celestial Aspect (BoED), Sanctified 3: 2d6 fire nuke that never misses.
Dragon Breath (SC), Sor/Wiz Clr 4: Choose breath weapon up to 10d8 energy damage.
Fiery Vision (SS), Clr 6: Two 4d6 fire nukes.
Fire Breath (CA), Wu Jen 5: Up to 10d8 fire damage.
Freezing Glance (Fb), Sor/Wiz 6: Gaze attack to paralyze.
Glorious Master of the Elements (DM), Sor/Wiz 7: 10d6 nuke of acid, cold, electricity, or fire.
Holy Star (SC), Clr 7: 10d6 fire nuke.
Lord of the Sky (DM), Sor/Wiz 5: Up to 20 electricity damage.
Righteous Glare (BoED), Sor/Wiz Clr 7: Gaze attack on evil, save or die else fear.
Skull Eyes (PGtF), IoC 5: Gaze attack charm or confuse monster.
Stormrage (CD), Clr Dru 8: 10d6 electricity nuke.

Doctor Despair
2016-03-01, 12:11 AM
Wasn't there a spell like Undermaster to grant use of a bunch of earth stuff?

Edit: It grants earth lock, earthquake, excavate, flesh to stone, meld into stone, move earth, reverse gravity, soften earth and stone, statue, stone shape, stone tell, stone to flesh, transmute mud to rock, transmute rock to mud, tunnel swallow, wall of stone, and xorn movement. 9th level spell though.

HunterOfJello
2016-03-01, 12:58 AM
I've forgotten the names of some spells that do this but I looked into it a little bit at one point.

There were one or two spells that give you gaze attacks. There are the ones that have you grow natural weapons. Divine Insight is one of my favorites and lasts a while. I think there was also a teleportation spell.

When i was looking into them I was considering using Minor Schemas since they can hold up to 6th level spells and cast them once per day.

Cerefel
2016-03-01, 02:50 AM
Not quite spells but there are some shadow magic mysteries that give multiple use abilities, like Flicker for example.

ATHATH
2016-03-01, 12:11 PM
All of the above have been added!

ATHATH
2016-03-01, 12:49 PM
I've just added Fiendform, KotV, and Binding.

I think I'll stop listing all of the different magic systems, though, because otherwise I'd be editing the list for a really long time. Psionics, Arcane Magic, and Divine Magic are all still fine, however.

ATHATH
2016-03-01, 01:02 PM
I've removed Binding and Shadow Magic from the list, and have added Mental Pinnacle.

Cruiser1
2016-03-01, 02:40 PM
The idea is that I use DMM and Exploit Vestige (and Ocular Spell, if necessary) to persist a bunch of buffs that give me reusable abilities while they're active, thus becoming a Warlock with better powers. I don't know many spells like that, though, which is why I'm asking the playground for help.
Here's a dozen more buff spells which give at-will nukes or other attacks for as long the spell lasts, so they're great for persisting in order to be like a Warlock:

Dragon Breath (SC), Sor/Wiz Clr 4: Choose breath weapon up to 10d8 energy damage.
Glorious Master of the Elements (DM), Sor/Wiz 7: 10d6 nuke of acid, cold, electricity, or fire.
Righteous Glare (BoED), Sor/Wiz Clr 7: Gaze attack on evil, save or die else fear.

ATHATH
2016-03-01, 04:07 PM
Here's a dozen more buff spells which give at-will nukes or other attacks for as long the spell lasts, so they're great for persisting in order to be like a Warlock:

Wow, that's quite a lot. I've added them to the list, and have included a reference to you there. Thank you!

How did you find these, by the way?

Cruiser1
2016-03-01, 06:53 PM
Wow, that's quite a lot. Thank you! How did you find these, by the way?
You're welcome. :smallsmile: I got the list of spells from the Priya the Prismatic Priestess (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15110369&postcount=6) ultimate persistomancer build, by looking down her long list of persisted buffs, and seeing which count as "spells that grant you new special attacks".

Necroticplague
2016-03-01, 07:03 PM
Cloud of Knives gives you the ability to throw knives around as a free action 1/turn.

Also, side note: You might want to consider the eberonn Symbiots. The subtype gives them all Share Spell (like a familiar), so you can essentially double the value of all these buffs for relatively cheap. Since you're a Binder, you can use Neberius to deal with the stat damage.

Randomguy
2016-03-01, 09:32 PM
Lightning Ring. From SC, lets you shoot 2 5d6 lightning bolts per round.

nedz
2016-03-01, 10:06 PM
Magic Stone - 3 uses

Telekinesis - certain modes

Chill Touch

Produce Flame