PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Magic Item customization/creation

Degwerks
2016-02-29, 11:49 PM
My DM said that I found an ancient magical scholar who would make me a custom Ocular themed magic item or give me 20k gold for some rare components I've got. I can fluff/describe/design the item as far as looks go AND I'm pretty sure he's implying (its a homebrew item of course) that I can throw out some ideas on what I would like it to do. I'd like it to be a old school Monocle in appearance.

So I'm asking you folks on what would you want in a magic monocle for a 9th level spellcaster? Keep in mind its apparent worth is around 20k. I already have Darkvision.

What I'm hoping for is Clairvoyance, Arcane Eye, and See Invisibility spell use x/day for x/durations. On the other hand Scrying or Eyebite x/(any measurement of time-uses) or whatever would be cool too.

Sander
2016-03-01, 01:28 AM
Old School Monocle, huh? Wouldn't be my first choice... I'd probably get something like an actual eye I could have implanted. Can't very well take that from me, now can they? But I disgress. Back to the actual question: Would True Seeing be entirely out of the question? I mean, assuming you've got it on your spell list, you're gonna have access to that spell in 2 levels anyhow, and it's pretty darn handy to have... 20K is very much a "Very Rare" item, so something along the lines of

"While wearing this monocle, the wearer sees the world as it truly is. You can use the monocle to gain True Sight, as per the spell, for up to 4 hours/day, all at once or in shorter intervals of minimum 1 hour each. The monocle regains 1d4 hours of True Sight each dawn."

I'd probably allow that. Also consider that true seeing isn't always a great thing. Seeing the world as it truly is can be a downright horrifying thing, like, literally the kind of stuff that might permanently scar even a seasoned adventurer. To that end, I'd possibly even allow constant true seeing (might be a stretch with your DM, however... YMMV) hoping I'd end with a player playing a broken type of character - Broken in the sense that his will/soul is broken from all the horrible things he's now constantly seeing without being able to turn it off. There's some interesting stuff there, but oh well, that wasn't the question, now was it? :smallbiggrin: Anyhow, true sight x/day probably isn't so far off the beaten path, so why not? Certainly handy not to have to spend your 6th level slot to see all the invisible baddies or something like that.

Degwerks
2016-03-01, 08:08 AM
True Seeing I had thought of but decided i would get that as a spell later anyway.

Maybe something like giving someone an Evil Eye gaze. Acting like a no concentration Hex and a 1/day Finger of Death with no zombie.

I'd actually rather have some useful utility things really.

Foxhound438
2016-03-01, 01:13 PM
beholder's antimagic cone for 1 minute per day, have n charges you can expend to do beholder eye beams.

Joe dirt
2016-03-01, 01:33 PM
xray vision is a classic, or monicals that detect thoughts for a few mins a day, or perhaps blindsight, or ones that allow u to see ghost