PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Proactive RP with a quiet character?

Gurifu
2016-03-01, 05:12 AM
TLDR: I'm looking for advice on how to sell "quiet and haunted" and still proactively create in-character interactions and relationship development.

Background:

I'm currently playing in an Out of the Abyss campaign with a group that likes to roleplay but almost never takes the initiative to do it. If I was playing a proactive talker, I could generate roleplay just by being there and talking to other characters the way my character would. My in-character speaking causes the DM to respond in character, that makes other players start talking in character, and everything moves along swimmingly. I don't even have to dominate conversations: as soon as the DM and another player are both in character, I can step out and let it ride.

But for this game, my character is supposed to be quiet, haunted, and in some ways shy, so I've only been engaging proactively in character when I have something really important to say. To wit: the way my character would talk to others is generally not to talk to them. It fit the character that I generated, the background that I came up with, and the horror genre of the campaign. When I'm not taking the initiative in engaging conversations, all in-character interaction except for pre-written statements read from the book disappears. Every time that there has been meaningful back-and-forth roleplay, I initiated it. We communicate with out of character statements of what a character or NPC wants to convey, and make decisions about what to do next as players, not characters. Inter-PC thought-sharing is simply gone, not even replaced with out-of-character statements, just gone.

PS: While I'm here... I have strong personal motivations to stay in, or return to, the Underdark (scores to settle, comrades to save or avenge, questions that need answers) that don't line up with the party's current motivations (screw everything else, let's get out of here ASAP). People who have experience with this OotA, is this likely to work itself out on its own?

Giant2005
2016-03-01, 05:26 AM
Go ahead and talk whenever you feel the need, just make all of your statements as concise and non-committal as possible. If you have watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer, try to emulate Oz.

Know(Nothing)
2016-03-01, 05:52 AM
You might initiate by doing things, actions, instead of talking directly to people. You can give other players hooks that will make them curious about what is on your mind. Fiddle with an object that seems unimportant to the mission, but distracts you for some unknown reason. Whistle a disjointed tune while staring into the darkness while everyone makes camp. While the game goes on, in-character mutter to yourself whenever someone attempts an action or plan. If these things still don't get them involved, do more overt things like taking a prisoner when there is no need to, or killing a prisoner that your party captures. Steal things only to return them immediately. If your party has characters that you know will be offended at a certain action, do something along that line, if only to get a response. Careful not to be too over-the-top, though.

If I get the kind of character you're going for(mysterious, troubled, etc.), think along the lines of a less comedic River from Firefly/Serenity. Also, ask your fellow players out-of-character before the game what kind of things their characters are interested in, averse to, fascinated by, or fearful of. Work this information into your behavior.

Comet
2016-03-01, 07:29 AM
Feel free to encourage everyone to talk out-of-character. Share feelings, motivations and aesthetics. Talk about what you think is cool. That way you can play a mute who never actually does anything and everyone will still get what your character is like as a person.

You only have so many hours to spend at the table. Trying to shoehorn actual action and dialogue about every character's finicky details, motivations and mannerisms is going to pile up quickly on the clock. This is even more important when you have a game where you're also supposed to be going through dungeons and monsters and magic, you simply don't have time to carefully set up scenes where each character gets their say in a natural way.

So just let characters be themselves and explain to everyone why they are the way they are. You don't have to go for a hundred percent on the immersion-o-meter all the time. The other characters don't need to know everything about your character, but the other players should.

Oramac
2016-03-01, 09:21 AM
I'd agree with everything said so far.

Also, why not just ask the other players if they'd be able to speak in-character more? Clearly they're willing to do it, since they do it when you initiate the conversation. Maybe just ask them to consider initiating in-character rather than out-of-character.

Cespenar
2016-03-01, 09:32 AM
TLDR: I'm looking for advice on how to sell "quiet and haunted" and still proactively create in-character interactions and relationship development.

As others have said, initiate by actions, instead of words. At the right moment, tell that you're glaring at a certain character intensely. At another moment, say your character turns away in a disgusted manner. Describe your character's expressions frequently.

PS: While I'm here... I have strong personal motivations to stay in, or return to, the Underdark (scores to settle, comrades to save or avenge, questions that need answers) that don't line up with the party's current motivations (screw everything else, let's get out of here ASAP). People who have experience with this OotA, is this likely to work itself out on its own?

While characters by default would want to get out of there ASAP, there are also obviously many hooks that would make a character stay or get involved with the business of the Underdark. This is likely to be intended, in my opinion. The disparity between the party's motivations would make for good roleplaying moments. So it'll be fine in my opinion.

goto124
2016-03-01, 10:44 AM
I even have a shadow character who is unable to make sounds, and had to change her shape to communciate (http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/comics/00000004.jpg). As a result, she can 'say' only a few words at a time.

I condense what I have to say into short phrases.

mgshamster
2016-03-01, 11:25 AM
Your character may not talk much, but that doesn't mean you don't have to. Describe your characters emotions more often, especially how they would look from the perspective of others. And describe your character's actions.

Convey their emotions and thoughts through actions and facial expressions - using your own words to describe what is going on.

This way, you can be interactive while your character is quiet.