PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder how to fulfill my quests without being noticed by my own group

Serarya
2016-03-01, 06:43 AM
Hey there,

we are plaing an evil campagin and our group is placed in between the war between Drow and Duergar. I am playing a female-Drow wizzard, former slave of house Baenre (I am not a member of a high house, i am just a simple low born). One of my group members is playing a Duergar.

Since we have been slaves of house Baenre we didn't want to go back to Menzoberranzan, due we didn't want to be enslaved again. So we went the other direction - straight into the Duergar City. There we are doing some Quests for one of the high Clans while the war around us is escalating. Between all those quests I've found an amulet of Bregan D'aerthe, with which I can contact this group and gain some individual quests - no one knows about it.

My character is in a little dilemma: she want to help his own folks, due the Drow are strong and born to rule, but she can't go back due she is a former slave - and she hates Baenre for being enslaved. Also she hates the Duergar (and they have no respect for my character in this capagin). So the amulet is a proper way out of this dilemma. With this, I can help my people to win this war without being directly connected to one of the high houses of Menzoberranzan - it's her way back into the Drow-society.

Yesterday I've talked to my DM - once in a while I will get some Quests from Bregan D'aerthe, which maybe can be against the group targets, for example we need to protect a Duergar from Drow warriors, it could be my quest to kill him (it’s an extreme case). In this case I need to fulfill my Quest without being noticed by my group members.

And that’s why I am here. Do you have any clues, how to fulfill my quest without being noticed? Not always a kill is needed, but sometimes I have to do things against the group target, and I want this to stay a secret, so my character can live her intriguer nature, even when staying in this group.

PS: I'm a specialized Wizard in Conjuration, sub school Teleport, forbidden Schools are Enchantment and Necromancy.

Incorrect
2016-03-01, 07:04 AM
You could discretely summon/call/bind something to fulfill the quests for you.

A Still+Silent summon monster at the correct time could easily turn the tide of a bodyguard mission, and not be directly tied to you.

I once ordered my planar ally to try to assassinate me in a dramatic battle, in order to shift suspicion away from me.
Unfortunately, it did not go as I planned... :smallannoyed:

Serarya
2016-03-01, 07:22 AM
Hey,

yeah this is something I was thinking of! As a wizard specialized in Conjuration it could be simple to make them fulfill my Quests. So what I need is a still+silent spell. I thnik i can build that :).

Anyone got some other suggestions?

Incorrect
2016-03-01, 08:46 AM
Threaten, bribe, or otherwise persuade another character to help you.

Try to gain an npc ally, he should act as a hidden puppet master, sending disposable minions to aid your quests.

Using subterfuge and maybe illusions, convince another character that he is being given his own personal quests from an organisation or person that he admires. Maybe he thinks that he must remain an undercover agent for the head of a powerful clan, and must not involve others in his missions.
These "fake" quests could be delivered from you via unknowing messenger or Sending spell.

Serarya
2016-03-01, 10:41 AM
Yes, the Illusion-Way seems like an realy interesting way, since I can't enchant very well. I think I need to consult my Illusion-Spell-List in order to get the most out of it, I hope my DM will pleay with me in this case :D. There can be very interesting situations evolving out of this :D.

Also Bribe could be interesting, but I can't imagine to bribe soneone who is actualy near our party - maybe in the future? My contact in Bregan D'aerthe could maybe get some contacts in this direction.

And I was forgetting about fakeing a simple message, this might be the easiest way.

Thanks a lot for this, all i could think about was enchantment and poison - maybe to bury someone alive when it is my watch and my target is in a magic sleep.

icefractal
2016-03-01, 03:11 PM
Also, seeing as you're a Conjurer, start making a point of using "cloud" type spells in combat, if you aren't already. Use them in a totally normal way for a while, not doing anything covert, so the party gets used to this being a normal non-suspicious thing. Also, make sure to sometimes enter your own clouds for defensive purposes, so they get used to that also. If you can acquire one of the "see through fog/smoke" items - well, those are awesome, they'd be a good buy even if you weren't up to anything questionable.

Now, you have a way to get out of sight even in the middle of a battle. Put a cloud over yourself and someone you want to kill, cast Silent Summon Monster, have it kill them; maybe you can even assist (with ranged spells so they can't see who's doing it). As far as anyone else knows, the monster just showed up. The less the party sees of the monster though, the better - pick one that can escape easily, else someone with the right knowledge might realize it's something that would be used by a Conjurer ... of exactly your skill ... yeah, that'd be awkward. You can do other things in a cloud too; it makes stealing things pretty easy, for example.

Oh, and it goes without saying, but any of this will only work if:
A) The GM is on board and cooperates in maintaining secrecy.
B) Your signalling method is not too obvious.
Or if the other players already know what's going on OOC. But it didn't sound like that from the OP.

Serarya
2016-03-01, 04:50 PM
If you can acquire one of the "see through fog/smoke" items - well, those are awesome, they'd be a good buy even if you weren't up to anything questionable.

Do you have any suggestions for a "see through" item for fog / snowstorm, due I realy can't find something official. But it sound quiet awesome - every party member got darkvision and the fog is the only option left to fast mass-block their sight.
Yes, the fog-Spells are awesome, I will use them quiet often, especialy because last time one of my fog spells turned the whole fight around. Everyone will be happy with me casting those spells.

icefractal
2016-03-01, 06:41 PM
Do you have any suggestions for a "see through" item for fog / snowstorm, due I realy can't find something official. But it sound quiet awesome - every party member got darkvision and the fog is the only option left to fast mass-block their sight.
Yes, the fog-Spells are awesome, I will use them quiet often, especialy because last time one of my fog spells turned the whole fight around. Everyone will be happy with me casting those spells.The best is probably the Goz Mask (http://www.pathfindercommunity.net/magic-items/wondrous-items/goz-mask), only 8K to see through fog and smoke, plus a bit of water breathing.
There's also the Fogcutting Lenses (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/lenses-fogcutting), but those are the same price and not as good, so only desirable if you hate Gozreh or something.

There are also some non-item ways (Flame or Water Oracle, Master of Storms, etc) but I don't know of any that you could stick on an existing character easily.

Dayaz
2016-03-01, 09:51 PM
skill checks being what they are, I always love Sleight of Hand-ing multiple poisons into someone's drink. (Bard Assassins are hilarious,since you can conjure food and drink, then spend some rounds subtly poisoning the -invective- out of it all)

Also, using the idea of the fog spells, you could do what the other poster said, but have a poison that lowers some type of save on them before the combat happens, then use a wand you... 'acquired' secretly, to kill them.

EX: You have them with some type of poison that lowers reflex somehow. Summon the fog, Silent Summon your minion (fire resistance/immunity is a bonus), and use a wand of Scorching Ray or Fireball to kill the target you're supposed to be protecting. Since their reflex is lowered, summon a fiendish dog. It will trip them, basically making them forfeit the reflex vs the wands, meaning that their low save dc isn't working against you.

Serarya
2016-03-02, 08:42 AM
The fog-goggles are nice, thanks for those items. I already did think about poison, and thats the first way I will go :).

Okay, thanks a lot for all your posts. I've send an e-mail to my DM where I did write every way I can act I am thinking about now is described.

Arc_knight25
2016-03-02, 09:41 AM
Nothing mechanical, for in game. But Email chains with the GM for times you are alone in game is a great way for there to be no Meta gaming happening at the table.

This way you can plan with the GM on how you want to approach a certain quest that has been given, while not taking away from game time at the table.

It has worked for my gaming groups quite well.

Serarya
2016-03-02, 09:56 AM
Thanks for this advice, I will talk to my DM on this case.

Andezzar
2016-03-02, 10:37 AM
Nothing mechanical, for in game. But Email chains with the GM for times you are alone in game is a great way for there to be no Meta gaming happening at the table.

This way you can plan with the GM on how you want to approach a certain quest that has been given, while not taking away from game time at the table.

It has worked for my gaming groups quite well.Going to another room also works, and allows easier back and forth.

Arc_knight25
2016-03-02, 11:01 AM
Going to another room also works, and allows easier back and forth.

I have done this as well. Along with passing notes at the table. I find it just can break the flow of the game. Because its not always a quick aside in another room. So while you and the DM are in the other room, other people are just kind of waiting around to continue with the session.

I will agree that you can get a lot more of the feel for your character when discussing in person, along with more information being shared quicker. But you can send the email's over the course of when your next session is so you have a bit more time to think on your plans, along with allowing the GM to implement your plans into the game more easily rather then on the fly if it was something they wouldn't expect your character to do.

Serarya
2016-03-02, 11:48 AM
Yes, I think it is better talking with my DM before the event actually starts, so we can stay in and don't break the game. And I think it’s pretty suspicious when my DM and I will leave the room.

Andezzar
2016-03-02, 12:07 PM
Yes, I think it is better talking with my DM before the event actually starts, so we can stay in and don't break the game. And I think it’s pretty suspicious when my DM and I will leave the room.It's not suspicious, if you are upfront about what you are going to do. If the DM initiates it it is even less suspicious. I guess it is just a matter of tradition. We have been doing it for years, since VtM and Shadowrun have a lot more intrigue and secrets between the characters than the typical D&D game. And it actually quite relaxing if you do not have to sort out what is player knowledge and what is character knowledge.

@Arc_knight25: I don't mean do only one of those things but use whatever works best in a given situation:
If it is a question that can be answered in a sentence or two, pass a note.
If the situation works better with in character interaction, go out.
If it is something that happens between adventures, have a conversation between games. It does not really matter what medium you use then. Email, phone, skype, smoke signals.