PDA

View Full Version : Army of badgers?

Shadowbane13
2016-03-01, 09:21 AM
Is there a limit on how many summoned monsters you can have or is it just maxed out by the amount of spells per day you have? I read the spell and it doesn't state anywhere that you are only permitted one at a time. So I figure you can summon like 4 if you wanna take the turns and time to do so.

Inevitability
2016-03-01, 09:23 AM
You can summon several badgers at once if you want. In fact, using higher-level summoning spells to create lower-level creatures does exactly this.

johnbragg
2016-03-01, 09:31 AM
Is there a limit on how many summoned monsters you can have or is it just maxed out by the amount of spells per day you have? I read the spell and it doesn't state anywhere that you are only permitted one at a time. So I figure you can summon like 4 if you wanna take the turns and time to do so.

It's maxed out, in a practical sense, by your caster level. Duration is 1 round/level. Extend Spell makes that 1.5 rounds per level. I suppose if you want to use PErsistent Spell (+6 spell levels), you could have badgers all day, though.

Segev
2016-03-01, 09:35 AM
For 10,800 gp, you could buy an item which conjures 1d3 badgers every time you say the command word, and they'll last for 3 rounds. So if you do nothing else, you can average 2 badgers per round, which last for 3 rounds, so you can have 6 badgers out at once from that item alone while you keep re-activating it.

Darrin
2016-03-01, 09:41 AM
There is a limit, but it varies by DM. Start summoning your army of badgers, and when the DM starts throwing books at your head, then you've exceeded the limit.

TheYell
2016-03-01, 10:15 AM
What do you mean? An African or a European badger?

sleepyphoenixx
2016-03-01, 10:55 AM
The only limit is the spell duration and the fact that combat in D&D doesn't last that long - after a few rounds most fights are pretty much over, so there isn't really any point summoning more minions because they won't last long enough to reach the next encounter.

Gabrosin
2016-03-01, 11:27 AM
Maybe max out handle animal and train up an army of real non-summoned badgers?

gorfnab
2016-03-01, 12:14 PM
Dragon Magazine #309 has an interesting template that can be applied to spells, War. If used on a summoning spell the spell summons 25 creatures per CL. So a War Summon Monster I (which is only a 2nd level spell) could summon 75 celestial badgers if cast by a 3rd level wizard. Here is a thread discussing the use and creation of War spells: War Spells! Discussion and Application (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?306567-War-Spells!-Discussion-and-Application)

TheYell
2016-03-01, 12:35 PM
Dragon Magazine #309 has an interesting template that can be applied to spells, War. If used on a summoning spell the spell summons 25 creatures per CL. So a War Summon Monster I (which is only a 2nd level spell) could summon 75 celestial badgers if cast by a 3rd level wizard. Here is a thread discussing the use and creation of War spells: War Spells! Discussion and Application (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?306567-War-Spells!-Discussion-and-Application)

Well there you go. I'd track them with gummi bears, toothpicks and little tabs.

yellowrocket
2016-03-01, 12:41 PM
On wisconsin!!!

Oh different badgers. Still think an army of jj watts is scarier.

I'd go with non summoned because at the level they're useful you can't summon many or keep them around long.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-01, 01:53 PM
What do you mean? An African or a European badger?

Nope, an Asian Badger, actually. Though one also appreciates the American Badger. The African Badger is actually more akin to a Weasel. We will not discuss the Australian Badger.

(Calisse de Tabarnac, why are there so many freaking Badgers?)

Albions_Angel
2016-03-01, 02:29 PM
For 10,800 gp, you could buy an item which conjures 1d3 badgers every time you say the command word, and they'll last for 3 rounds. So if you do nothing else, you can average 2 badgers per round, which last for 3 rounds, so you can have 6 badgers out at once from that item alone while you keep re-activating it.

If the command word isnt "Badger", the player is missing a trick. Preferably, they should also have a healing potion refilling item with the command word "Mushroom" and occasionally throw snakes...

Shadowbane13
2016-03-01, 03:52 PM
So all in all if I wanted to I can cast the summon monster spell every turn and just keep popping out creatures and slowly build an army till they like disappear? Sounds good.

The Glyphstone
2016-03-01, 03:53 PM
Does this have any purpose except to set up an extremely elaborate Badger Song joke?

johnbragg
2016-03-01, 04:07 PM
Does this have any purpose except to set up an extremely elaborate Badger Song joke?

Could also be a setup to the Big Bad dispelling the army of badgers, and just when all seems lost, the Bard cries out "BAdgers? WE don' need no steeenkink Badgers!"

Telonius
2016-03-02, 04:10 PM
Depending on the resources at your disposal, you wouldn't even need to Summon them. Find a plane with fast-moving time, and hire a bunch of animal trainers. Each trainer can train three animals at a time, using the "Rear a wild animal" function of the Handle Animal skill. (Badgers reach maturity at 1-2 years, which is why the fast-moving time plane is important). A trained hireling costs 3 sp per day, or roughly 110 gp per year. So figure 220gp for labor in training up three badgers. Add in the cost of obtaining, feeding and housing the badgers, and so on; I'd eyeball that at 270gp altogether. So, the War Badger Breeding Program would probably cost about 90gp per badger.