PDA

View Full Version : Climbing Stealth Mount?

TheCreatorT
2016-03-01, 11:38 AM
So I had an idea for a char that would use a mount to climb on walls and cielings silently in order to steal, assassinate, etc.

My question is... Well how? How would the mechanics work since there really isn't a Move Silently trick (There is a silence trick but I thought it meant like no growling etc), what mount would I use, how to make sure the mount sticks with me, etc.

Feel free to suggest builds, alternate ideas, etc .

Flickerdart
2016-03-01, 11:50 AM
The obvious approach is to use an intelligent mount, which can use skills as you direct it.

You could also use a creature that is naturally suited to stealth. If a creature has a Move Silently score noted in its entry, it makes sense that such a creature would know how to use Move Silently, and would naturally sneak when told to go kill something.

Hiro Quester
2016-03-01, 12:49 PM
this post on the Wizards' site on the Drow Judicator (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003c) has spider mounts for drow.

Perhaps something like that can be adapted? A drow ranger might have a giant spider Animal Companion. Or a drow anti paladin, with Spider special mount, etc?

Deadline
2016-03-01, 12:50 PM
The obvious approach is to use an intelligent mount, which can use skills as you direct it.

You could also use a creature that is naturally suited to stealth. If a creature has a Move Silently score noted in its entry, it makes sense that such a creature would know how to use Move Silently, and would naturally sneak when told to go kill something.

My guess would be via the paladin special mount to grab a celestial monstrous spider, or getting one as an "animal" companion via vermin companion.

Otherwise, maybe get a celestial or fiendish monstrous spider as an ally or hireling?

Hiro Quester
2016-03-01, 12:55 PM
From SRD on Monstrous Spider:

Web-spinning spiders have a +8 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks when using their webs.

Darrin
2016-03-01, 01:15 PM
Check out the footpad lizards in Drow of the Underdark. The drow can train them as mounts, so presumably you can do so as well.

TheCreatorT
2016-03-01, 02:49 PM
From SRD on Monstrous Spider:

Yes but it has no Intelligence; no tricks or skills can be taught. Any way to compensate for that?

Deadline
2016-03-01, 03:47 PM
Yes but it has no Intelligence; no tricks or skills can be taught. Any way to compensate for that?

Slapping the Celestial or Fiendish template on it will give it Int 3. At that point it's smarter than animal intelligence.

Jay R
2016-03-01, 04:07 PM
This seems like a lot of trouble to build something inferior to a simple flying mount.

Hiro Quester
2016-03-01, 04:11 PM
Yeah. Fiendish. The Drow Judicator i linked to above suggests these as mounts:

Large fiendish monstrous spider, a fiendish sword spider, a myrlochar, or a phase spider. (See the Monster Manual or Monsters of Faerūn for these creatures' statistics.)

Deadline
2016-03-01, 04:12 PM
Yeah. Fiendish. The Drow Judicator i linked to above suggests these as mounts:

Ooh, if the Phase Spider takes you with it when it phases, that's kinda cool.

Vizzerdrix
2016-03-01, 04:52 PM
Something i have been pondering. What you want is the watch spider fron Waterdeep, City of Splendors. It is a medium sized spider/magical beast that a is on the druids -3 list. Since animal companions get stats and feats, you can give it the spit venom line of feats and safely bump up its int score.

My plan was to go strongheart hafling druid with the hafling druid sub levels. But that is as far as i got on crafting it all.