PDA

View Full Version : Sacred Weapon + Divine Favor + Radiant Soul + Shillelagh

Nadlor
2016-03-01, 11:38 AM
Hi, everyone.

I have a build idea but I don't know if it's legit or not. The concept needs 5 levels of Paladin with the Oath of Devotion (for second attack, spellcasting and Sacred Weapon) and three levels of Undying Light Tome Warlock (for Radiant Soul and Shillelagh with CHA). Undying Light is a Warlock Patron appearing in Unearthed Arcana.

Shillelagh via Pact of the Tome allows me to use CHA to attack and damage with a quarterstaff. Sacred Weapon lets me add CHA modifier to attack rolls made with a weapon I'm holding. Radiant Soul states that when I cast a spell that deals radiant damage, I can add CHA modifier to that damage. Divine Favor is a paladin spell that adds 1d4 radiant damage to weapon attacks.

Taking this into account, if I attack with shillelagh with both Sacred Weapon and Divine Favor active (Radiant Soul is always on), a hit would do 1d8+CHA+CHA+1d4+CHA damage. Twice, if I hit with both attacks. If I throw in a third attack with a bonus action via Polearm Master, I could add 1d4+CHA+CHA+1d4+CHA hit points more. All of this while using a shield.

Is this actually allowed? I'm adding CHA to damage multiple times, but it's not the same kind of damage addition, so I don't know if such stacking is forbidden or not.

Thanks in advance for your help, and please excuse me if this has been asked before!

Segev
2016-03-01, 11:49 AM
I don't think you can use a shield while using a quarterstaff. It's a two-handed weapon.

Flashy
2016-03-01, 11:50 AM
I don't think you can use a shield while using a quarterstaff. It's a two-handed weapon.

Nope! One handed with the versatile property. Not that it matters, since using a club changes nothing about the damage math.

Xetheral
2016-03-01, 11:51 AM
Sacred Weapon applies to hit rolls, not damage, so you'd only be adding your charisma modifier to damage twice rather than three times.

Also, to activate the combo you're spending two rounds buffing. In most fights, the loss of damage from those two rounds won't be made up for by the extra damage you deal in the third and later rounds as a result of the buffs.

Submortimer
2016-03-01, 12:56 PM
The stacking works. My favorite level 20 theory craft is the Black Knight, a 12 warlock/8 oath breaker, who uses darkness, devil's sight, pole arm master and great weapon master. Hits 3 times a round, usually with advantage, adding str+cha+cha+10 to every attack.

Nadlor
2016-03-01, 04:58 PM
Sacred Weapon applies to hit rolls, not damage, so you'd only be adding your charisma modifier to damage twice rather than three times.

Ah, it's true, I missed that one. It's very good with great weapon master, then, but quarterstaff is not a heavy weapon.

to activate the combo you're spending two rounds buffing. In most fights, the loss of damage from those two rounds won't be made up for by the extra damage you deal in the third and later rounds as a result of the buffs.

So it works but who cares? Oh, well...

Nadlor
2016-03-01, 05:41 PM
My favorite level 20 theory craft is the Black Knight, a 12 warlock/8 oath breaker, who uses darkness, devil's sight, pole arm master and great weapon master. Hits 3 times a round, usually with advantage, adding str+cha+cha+10 to every attack.

This is not with sacred weapon, but with the oathbreaker aura, right?

to activate the combo you're spending two rounds buffing

Wait, now that I think on it, Divine Favor is a bonus action spell, so if Shillelagh is active one round is enough to activate Sacred Weapon and cast Divine Favor. If Shillelagh is not active, I could still attack twice in my second turn. Could be better, but it's not that bad.