PDA

View Full Version : Martial Adept Iaijutsu Focus Build Help

Draconium
2016-03-01, 01:35 PM
I was talking with me friend the other day, and he mentioned that he might like to DM for me in a solo campaign. I was thinking about what I would like to play, and what I've decided on is a ToB Martial Adept as the base, with a dip into Factotum (or something) to gain access to Iaijutsu Focus. The idea is basically a warrior focused on doing as much damage as he can with a single strike at the beginning of combat, with enough staying power to hold out should that not be enough.

However, I've never used Iaijutsu Focus before, so I thought I might request some help from the playground about what a good build for it might be. I would be starting at level 5, and my DM has requested I have at least two of those levels be in a martial class of some sort. I would like to know whether Warblade or Swordsage would be better to use in this build (I don't particularly like playing Crusaders), and what might be some good maneuvers, stances, feats, and weapons to invest in.

I may be able to talk the DM into gestalt, since it's supposed to be a solo campaign, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it. I know he's fine with me using OA stuff and ToB, and I doubt he'd find any reason not to like Factotum, so that's all good there. I would just like to know some basic tips and pointers to help me optimize this character. Thanks in advance!

Xerlith
2016-03-01, 02:25 PM
Human Factotum3/Hit-And-Run Exoticist Fighter 1/Warblade2/Unarmed Swordsage2/Warblade+12.

Able Learner @ 1st, Assassin's Stance @Swordsage 2, Craven at 9th, Shadow Blade at 12th (by leapfrogging Warblade/Swordsage levels you may be able to take it at 6th if you can afford an Aptitude weapon by then).

Exoticist for EWP:Gnome Quickrazor, Hit-And-Run for Dex to damage and an Initiative boost, Factotum 3 for Int to all physical skill checks.

Grab a Focus Katana and keep it sheathed.

Put Aptitude on the Quickrazor. Pick skill tricks and maneuvers from here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8741.0). That's mostly it.

EDIT: Found this (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IxtrvavaXhNxPyE55rAKJMEEyvJbDXGiqjOMEO1FvKo/edit?usp=sharing) lying around my hdd.

LTwerewolf
2016-03-01, 02:47 PM
Swordsage would go well to help you go first, since iaijutsu focus has more strict requirements on how you can activate it. you also might want decent ranks in bluff as well as improved feint, to feint as a move action and iaijutsu on a strike as a standard.

Alternatively, if you can go into iaijutsu master, warblade has some nice synergy with it.

Cerefel
2016-03-01, 04:36 PM
If it's an option, you could just do something like OA Samurai 1/Initiator Classes 19 with Able Learner. It gives some nice samurai flavor without making your build suck.