PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Low level Challenge: alone in the dark

8wGremlin
2016-03-01, 05:00 PM
You're 1st level.
You're alone,
lost,
in the dark,
with only the food and water you're carrying.
it may be days before you get back to civilisation, and many encounters...

What race and class do you play?
(4 standard encounters meant for a normal party)

My group will play them and see how they do.
- PHB, DMG, EE, SCAG
- also you can if you wish use UA content, but no homebrew.

treecko
2016-03-01, 05:21 PM
Anyone with darkvision.

More seriously, there are a few essentials. Outlander background gives food for the whole party, so two of those would be enough to provide for the party even if one is gone. For classes, anyone with sleep is pretty strong. Bard or clerics can heal the party back onto their feet, as a level one character can go down in one good roll. Barbarians get a special mention for being really strong at level one because they get rage, effectively giving them over twice the health of anyone else as well as being able to one shot most CR 1/4 enemies. For races, the only things that really stand out are orcs, for their useful ability to stay alive.

So here's my party suggestion:

Orc barbarian, with outlander
Hill Dwarf War Cleric (domain chosen fairly arbitrarily, although war is pretty good at level one)
Winged Tiefling Fiend Warlock, also outlander. Flying and ranged is a really good combo at level 1, when most enemies won't hit up there. The second outlander
Half Elf Bard. Can cast sleep and heal.

RulesJD
2016-03-01, 05:44 PM
Presuming this is a Solo adventure?

Any race with +to Wisdom and Darkvision Moon Druid, Criminal or Urchin background for Theives' Tools.

1. Goodberry & Create or Destroy Water solves like 95% of any problems you'll face.

2. Level 1 will suck. Every level after that? You're the best Solo class in the game with Guidance for all your skill checks/mini-Alert feat, single stat dependent with Shillelagh, and the most HP by far with Wild Shape. Maintain 13 Str to level dip into Barbarian to get stupidly good tanking.

3. Use Animal forms/Guidance to overcome any out of combat obstacle. Use Animal forms + concentration spells (flaming sphere/Moonbeam) to wreck face in combat.

8wGremlin
2016-03-01, 06:37 PM
Presuming this is a Solo adventure?
yes they will be solo

Foxhound438
2016-03-01, 07:20 PM
probably some kind of goliath, maybe rogue. sneak by when you can, and you have the 1/short rest damage buffer in any other case. Also having double carrying means you can carry in twice the food and water.

RaynorReynolds
2016-03-01, 08:56 PM
You're 1st level.
You're alone,
lost,
in the dark,

- PHB, DMG, EE, SCAG

Drow Shadow Monk with the Outlander background.

treecko
2016-03-01, 08:59 PM
probably some kind of goliath, maybe rogue. sneak by when you can, and you have the 1/short rest damage buffer in any other case. Also having double carrying means you can carry in twice the food and water.

A goliath would be blind, which would be a serious detriment. Half orc seems better. For food, outlander background or goodberry should take care of you, and create water works for water, as already mentioned. For encounters, spells like sleep are useful, as well as anything that lets you trick or run from enemies. Minor illution, expeditious retreat, fog cloud, entangle. Druid or wizard seems best. Worth also noting about outlander background is the mapping feature. So here is my build:

Winged Feral Tiefling, outlander
Scores(point buy):
Str 8
Dex 14(+2)
Con 14
Wis 14
Int 10 (+1)
Chr 12

AC 15, HP 10
Cantrips: There's a few options. Guidance is a given for all your skill checks. Druidcraft can make and end campfires, which is nice for cooking if you can find food, although potentially attracting enemies. Odors might be useful as well, if there's something interesting you can some up with. Create bonfire is a useful spell that does damage and cooks. Mold earth is notable for creating a shelter.

Spells: Charm person, entangle, fog cloud, cure wounds, maybe longstrider. Add in goodberry and create/destroy water when you need them. Food or water shouldn't be that imperative that you can't wait a long rest. Purify food/drink and detect poison can be prepare as necessary as well. My personal loadout would be entangle, fog cloud, and cure wounds

The strategy is to abuse flight to run from enemies. Entangle would prevent pursuit, and fog cloud allows for a getaway. If humanoids are a threat, charm person allows for a quick retreat. Outlander combined with spells in emergencies is good for food, water, and shelter, and with the outlanders map feature, you'll eventually find your way back. Happy running!

EDIT: Yeah, and if you level up, wildshape will give you so much potential to avoid all combat. "hey where did that demon person just go?" *rat scuttles by*

Corran
2016-03-01, 09:32 PM
Meh, any good ideas I might have are already taken. So I offer this:

Human mobile fighter, S&B if against 1 or more than 2 enemies, TWF if against exactly 2 enemies, attacking and moving, or dodging and moving, according to set up, making his way back home at a rate of 40 feet per round, while praying to the dice gods.

The odds are firmly against us, but everyone would cheer for this poor honest fighter who tries to make it back to the safehouse, one step at a time.

JackPhoenix
2016-03-01, 09:34 PM
Wood Elf Rogue with Outlander background and expertise in Stealth

Or Warforged Wizard with Light and Find Familiar. Now I'm neither alone nor in the dark. Also, I can trade food and water to anyone I meet and don't need to sleep

Inevitability
2016-03-02, 03:55 AM
Aarakocra druid. Flight lets you avoid most encounters, goodberry and create water take care of your food-related needs, and if you really have to outfly something Longstrider will help.

Deadandamnation
2016-03-02, 04:06 AM
What starting equipment we get?

Moosoculars
2016-03-02, 06:00 AM

Yes exactly. If you only have food and water you were carrying does this mean no armour and weapons? No holy symbols, wizard spell books and arcane foci?

If all you have is food and water you can probably not take outlander as half rations of food and water should allow adventuring for multiple days without exhaustion.

Flying options would seem limited from the op as it implies that you are underground by it being dark so may not have the range or ranged weapons. I suppose you could drop rocks.

Drows extra darkvision is looking good. Monks unarmoured defence, and martial arts means you always have a weapon (and might be able to use some found on the way back). Stealth and perception for a solo would be key skills and survival wouldn't hurt.

However my pick would be a drow warlock. He might be able to abuse short rests by taking one each encounter, hex and Eldridge blast need no foci or components and drow dark vision gives range. Add stealth and perception and you have a good sniper at low level. Dark ones blessing gives you temp hp to stay alive and arms of Hagar blows up swarms around you in a 10ft rad (no friendlies to worry about). Dancing lights as a free cantrip could be useful in the dark to avoid disadvantage on wis perception and int investigation to find the way out.

Std array
Str 8
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 13
Cha 16

HP 10
AC 12 - unarmoured
Dark ones blessing - 3 temp hp if downs an enemy
Dark vision 120ft

Attacks +5 eldrich blast 1d10 plus hex 1d6
Punch +1 1pt plus 1d6 hex

Trance - semi conscious when resting
Fey ancestry - sleep charm bonus

Skills
Perception - elf
Investigation - warlock
Intimidation - warlock
Deception - criminal
Stealth - criminal

Cantrips
Dancing light
Eldrich blast
Minor illusion

Spells
Hex
Arms of hadar

JellyPooga
2016-03-02, 07:30 AM
Dancing light
Minor illusion
Hex

These three spells have Material Components. I think the gear limitation on this challenge really restricts the options. Although you could be a spellcaster (non-Wizard...who would require his Spellbook, of course), I think your list of spells is going to be too restricted.

Likewise, the gear-reliant Fighter and Ranger are going to struggle to accomplish much in combat and don't have the skills necessary to avoid encounters otherwise.

Barbarian can probably HULK-SMASH his way through a couple of encounters if he can get his hands on even an improvised weapon. If he's lucky and runs fast, he might get through 4 encounters before he runs out of Rage.

Rogue is a nicely front-loaded Class; that Expertise will go a long way; put in Persuasion and Stealth, he might even get out without having to draw blood.

A lot of Classes don't get anything worth shouting about until level 2. Take out the spellcasters that get nice things at 1 and you're pretty much left with Rogue and Barbarian. That's where I'd go for this one. I'd probably go with a Forest Gnome on the former and Half-Orc on the latter. Dwarf could happily do either.

Moosoculars
2016-03-02, 08:14 AM
Jellypooga you are correct about the material components on those spells. They could be traded for prestidigitation and perhaps hellish rebuke or expeditious retreat but loosing hex is a blow.

I still think that the short rest of a warlock could be very useful in a solo adventure. If you got 4-5 short rests then you get 4-5 spells a day which is more than any other caster.

Say if you got sleep from the great old one and dropped it on the encounter from range you might be able to avoid a lot of combat, short rest and repeat. The material component of sleep is fine sand so I reckon you could find this underground in a pinch.

Disguise self and charm person are both component free perhaps there is the possibility of a bard with the correct skills and languages talking there way out after charming a few friends. I suppose it depends on the creatures encountered.

JellyPooga
2016-03-02, 08:55 AM
I suppose it depends on the creatures encountered.

I think this is the crux of it, really. If the encounters are going to be 1)a brute fight, 2)a mob fight, 3)a spellcaster fight and 4)a big ol' fight, without any option to sneak past or talk your way out of it, then Rogue is clearly not an option, for example. If, on the other hand, alternative tactics are going to be viable in any way, then consideration to things like a Bard with Disguise Self and Charm Person are worthwhile.

Serket
2016-03-02, 09:37 AM
No weapons, no caster focus. So I think Monk. I'd pick Wood Elf. You've got perception, stealth, and one other skill plus what your background gives. You probably aren't talking your way through many encounters, but stealth and punching are both okay. AC16 base.

It's not bad, but if the encounters are appropriate for a four-person party I don't think it will be good enough.

JellyPooga
2016-03-02, 10:36 AM
It's not bad, but if the encounters are appropriate for a four-person party I don't think it will be good enough.

That's why I think you're going to have to look for alternative ways of "defeating" encounters than just punching your way through. Monk might give you a fighting chance of the aggressive approach, much as the Barbarian does, but I doubt it'll be enough.

It's kind of an argument for playing a Tiefling, Half-Orc or Drow...they can play the "I'm a monster! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UqFPujRZWo)" card to give you a chance to at least get your foot in the door before being attacked on sight.

If it were me taking this challenge, I'd probably end up going with a Feral, Devil-Tongued Tiefling Rogue;
Str:10, Dex:14+2, Con:10, Int:13+1, Wis:12, Cha:14
Skills: Acrobatics, Insight, Persuasion, Stealth
Background: Charlatan (Deception, Sleight of Hand, Disguise Kit, Language: Undercommon )
Expertise: Persuasion, Stealth

- Steal a knife at the earliest opportunity.
- Lie, cheat and generally fast-talk his way through anything he can't ghost past.
- A little disguise goes a long way.
- [I]Vicious Mockery is just entertaining.

8wGremlin
2016-03-02, 01:35 PM

EQUIPMENT: Standard 1st level build...
so yes to all normal starting equipment.

You may start in the dark, but it's a cave system, easy exit out to the surface, easy exit down into the underdark...

As a note rankings so far are:

A winged tiefling arcana cleric, urban bounty hunter, got to 400xp before being overrun and raised as a zombie.
A dwarf tempest, outlander, got to 150xp before being shot by arrows
A human paladin,outlander, has survived first session but is currently being pursued by 2 encounters worth of enemies... (update later) - 0xp atm

Deadandamnation
2016-03-02, 01:48 PM

A winged tiefling arcana cleric, urban bounty hunter, got to 400xp before being overrun and raised as a zombie.
A human paladin,outlander, has survived first session but is currently being pursued by 2 encounters worth of enemies... (update later) - 0xp atm

So if I'm interpreting that right:

1) You are in the Dark (probably underground) so you need something like darkvision or light cantrip.

2) You get the standard equipment given by char creation.

3) You have to face 4 encounters made for 4 players, alone each day.

4) You can't skip encounters, you have to kill em all or else you get no xp.

Am I right?

Segev
2016-03-02, 01:53 PM
Drow druid with the urchin background. Subsist on goodberries, use them for emergency healing, as well. Extra-long-range darkvision means he's able to see most things before they can see him. Stealth proficiency from Urchin should let him avoid most encounters he deems too dangerous. Animal friendship can get him some helpers for various tasks, such as distracting nastier encounters by running off the other way, or hunting food (if for some reason the goodberries aren't enough).

8wGremlin
2016-03-02, 01:55 PM
So if I'm interpreting that right:

1) You are in the Dark (probably underground) so you need something like darkvision or light cantrip.

2) You get the standard equipment given by char creation.

3) You have to face 4 encounters made for 4 players, alone each day.

4) You can't skip encounters, you have to kill em all or else you get no xp.

Am I right?

Yes, except 4

You can "defeat" the encounter normally, if that means skipping past it, fine.

and 3 is just a normal set of encounters for a normal party upto you if you encounter 1,2, 3 or 4.

the Tiefling Arcana cleric managed 3 encounters and died on the 4th.

Quintessence
2016-03-02, 02:15 PM
so yes to all normal starting equipment.

You may start in the dark, but it's a cave system, easy exit out to the surface, easy exit down into the underdark...

Overrun...? Is this like horde mode or something?

Is it all combat or can you talk to things? Maybe persuasion is the best option..

RulesJD
2016-03-02, 02:23 PM
Yes, except 4

You can "defeat" the encounter normally, if that means skipping past it, fine.

and 3 is just a normal set of encounters for a normal party upto you if you encounter 1,2, 3 or 4.

the Tiefling Arcana cleric managed 3 encounters and died on the 4th.

Given the constraints then the answer is clearly what I posted above. Darkvision + Moon Druid + Urchin background for stealth.

Single stat with Shillelagh, Leather Armor + Shield for AC of 16. Use Guidance for mini-Alert/Stealth checks, get 300 exp. After that, level up and wreck face when combining Bear form + Entangle/Faerie Fire.

I would go Woof Elf to use the Trance to make it less likely to be ambushed while sleeping, +2 to Dex and +1 to Wis, and increased movement speed means I can run away reliably.

8wGremlin
2016-03-02, 02:30 PM
Overrun...? Is this like horde mode or something?

Is it all combat or can you talk to things? Maybe persuasion is the best option..

Overrun = multiple combatants (i think there was 8 in that encounter)

Yes talking is an option!
so far opponents have been - Zombies, Skeletons, Necromancer, Bandits, Orcs and an Ankheg.

8wGremlin
2016-03-02, 02:31 PM
Given the constraints then the answer is clearly what I posted above. Darkvision + Moon Druid + Urchin background for stealth.

Single stat with Shillelagh, Leather Armor + Shield for AC of 16. Use Guidance for mini-Alert/Stealth checks, get 300 exp. After that, level up and wreck face when combining Bear form + Entangle/Faerie Fire.

I would go Woof Elf to use the Trance to make it less likely to be ambushed while sleeping, +2 to Dex and +1 to Wis, and increased movement speed means I can run away reliably.

I'll add this into the list and see how it plays, any advice for the player when playing this character?

RulesJD
2016-03-02, 03:57 PM
I'll add this into the list and see how it plays, any advice for the player when playing this character?

Stealth + Guidance everywhere. If you get a surprise round, open with Entangle to lock down groups, or just remember to roll with advantage. Hit and run with your Longbow, Shillelagh for if they get close. As soon as you hit 300 exp, find a place to long rest to level up ASAP. Use Guidance to help dig a hole to hide yourself in, go into a Trance, and level after 4 hours.

Past that, just stealth + Entangle/faerie Fire + Brown Bear form. Roll face.

*edit*

By the way, this sounds incredibly fun. Jealous of your players.

Moosoculars
2016-03-03, 05:13 AM
Well starting equipment changes the challenge a bit. I think that I would stay with the drow warlock with hex and arms of hadar for when you are over run. 1d10+1d6 damage should take down a bandit, skeleton or Orc from 120ft away. Zombies you should be able to outrun and snipe too.

Once you hit 2nd the agonising and repelling blast. If you can make 3rd then the darkness / Devils sight should let you run past encounters if you need to.

From the information on the monsters faced we know that no one has killed the ankheg and the necromancer is at least level 5. All creatures have 60 ft dark vision except perhaps the bandits. So the 120 ft dark vision that Drow get should allow good hit and run tactics. Tremor sense on the anheg will mean sneaking past it will be impossible

Skeletons are vulnerable to bludgeoning so a sling and b type weapon should be in starting equipment if possible.

I have to say a cr2 monster for a first level party is already deadly in difficulty and 8 monsters even if cr 1/4 is 25x8=200 x 2.5 500xp rating which is again deadly. I don't care though I think this is brilliant and love a challenge.

I think I might do this with my players too.

Vogonjeltz
2016-03-03, 10:01 AM
You're 1st level.
You're alone,
lost,
in the dark,

- PHB, DMG, EE, SCAG

Wood Elf Ranger, eventually going into Beastmaster.

As an Elf 60' darkvision helps obviate the dark.
As a wood elf the extra speed will work towards kiting opponents.
Mask of the Wild is great for hit and run tactics.
Natural Explorer gives a major advantage in being able to remain alert and forage, as well as finding double the food.
Ranger starts with a Longbow, so most fights probably will be an exercise in shooting and scooting.

Shining Wrath
2016-03-03, 10:43 AM
I think you want darkvision, stealth, and HP.

Wood Elf Ranger, proficient in perception automatically, add survival, stealth, nature, one more. Sneak past what you can, start the fight at range if you can't. Hopefully you won't take much damage but if you do you start with 10 + CON HP.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-03, 01:30 PM
Agreeing with the Wood Elf Ranger love, but Rogue might be worth considering - expertise in stealth and perception would be most helpful in avoiding combat (and why on Oerth would I be looking for a fight at this point?)

HoarsHalberd
2016-03-03, 02:13 PM
Drow rogue. Expertise in perception and stealth. Any background option that gets food in the environment we're talking about. Avoid all fights. Win thousands of xp.

Misterwhisper
2016-03-03, 07:03 PM
Let's look at this from a logical and mechanical standpoint.

1. A way to see is vital, so dark vision or ability to cast a spell that makes light.
2. Melee is a bad idea, if you can melee them, they can melee you back. Ranged will always be better.
3. Not to start a rant, but a magical class will always be better than a mundane class. From versatility or no reliance on gear alone.
4. Big able to heal in some way is a huge help.
5. This is a solo journey from point a to point b, social skills are going to be for the most part, useless.
6. If you are trying to live and get more power along the way, being evil is nice because you could go on a killing spree just to gain power.
7. Being able to use a shield, even if you do not start with one would be great, free AC is always nice.
8. Not all stats are equal, Dex is better than Str, Wis is better than Int, Con is always good, Cha is nice but never required, this is considered if you do not have class abilities dependent on those stats.

Alignment: Evil makes things easier, you can do anything it takes no matter how underhanded to live. Killing just because it would help you is a good thing.

Race for this would need: Darkvision, bonus to Dex or Con, and not a bonus to Int or Cha unless you cast with it.

Dwarf: Maybe, more HP is always good, Darkvision, and can get +1 Wis.
Elf: Always great, Dex is great for many things, Darkvision, Trance, and possible weapon proficiencies depending on sub race.
Halfling: Good stats, great racial abilities with Luck and Brave, however... no dark vision.
Human: Bland and no Darkvision. Might could make the variant worth it but nothing makes up for no dark vision to me.
Dragon born: Wrong stats, no Darkvision.
Gnome: Darkvision, but no other helpful bonuses, Int is just pointless unless you cast with it.
Half-Elf: 2 Plus 1;s where you need it, Dark vision, and 2 skills... hard to argue with it, Cha bonus is good but not needed unless you cast with it.
Half-Ork: Great in melee, but as stated, melee is a bad idea.
Tiefling: Ba stats, ok racials.

Skills:

Required: Perception and pretty much stealth
Would really help: Survival, use of thieves tools.

Classes: So we really want, casting, healing, shield use, and everything else is a bonus.

What do you know, Druid has all of that, and so does Cleric.

Let's go with Wood Elf Druid that is Neutral Evil.

Dark vision, Prof with Bows and Short and Long Swords

Str: 12
Dex: 16 (14 + 2)
Con: 14
Int: 8
WIs: 16 (15 +1)
Cha: 8

Background:

Criminal: see skills and proficiencies. Background feature does not matter.

Gear:
Shield, Druid Focus, Leather Armor, Spear, Explorer's Pack

Skills:
Perception: Race
Nature: Druid
Survival: Druid
Stealth: Criminal
Deception: Criminal
Use of thieves tools: Criminal

Spells:

0 Level:( knows 2)

Guidance: This spell is crazy good, + 1D4 to a skill is amazing in a system where normal bonus are only about + 3 to + 11 ish.
Frostbite: Range could be better but giving DIS on attack is great.

1st Level: (2 slots, knows 4 at a time)

Gooseberry: Hard to argue with 10 HP of healing and no need of food.
Cure wounds: Just In case.
Entangle: Great way to start an ambush
Fog Cloud: Some times you just need to run away.

This gives:

AC: 17
HP: 10 (not great but best we can do)

The only thing that would make this better would be starting with a bow of some kind.

THE PLAN:

1. Stealth everywhere, take your time, be a coward.
2. If you see something alone, kill it. You are evil for a reason. See a rat, kill it. See a deer, kill it. See something with a bow, kill it and take the bow.
3. Feel free to be slow. If you are down a spell, or some HP after killing something, long rest if you can.
4. NEVER EVER try to out fight something if you do not get an ambush off, Fog Cloud and leave.
5. NEVER EVER start a fight with more than 1 target. People can get lucky and one shot you, do not give them a shot.
5. Always remember, running away and hiding is not cowardly, it is smart. Even if not, do it anyway.

All you need to do is make it past level 1 by stealth and ambushing.

At level 2, Go MOON DRUID.

Continue plan as above but worry less about HP because you can Shift into Brown Bear, twice and make them pound through those HP.
It also helps that you get those back after short rests. Speaking of which, if you are down a wild shape. Use the other to shift into a spider, hide on the ceiling and short rest for the hour it lasts, gain back both uses.

Play the coward, play the heartless murderer, win.

JellyPooga
2016-03-03, 07:28 PM
Let's look at this from a logical and mechanical standpoint.

1. A way to see is vital.
2. Melee is a bad idea.
3. Magical class will always be better than a mundane class.
4. Big able to heal.
5. Social skills are [snip] useless.
6. Being evil is nice.
7. Able to use a shield.
8. Dex > Str, Wis > Int, Con is always good, Cha is [snip] never required.
(I've paraphrased you for ease)

I absolutely agree with all of this...except point 4 and the last part of 8.

We've been told that opponents to date have included;

Zombies, Skeletons, Necromancer, Bandits, Orcs and an Ankheg

The Necromancer, Bandits and Orcs can all be spoken to, or at the very least Intimidated. I assume the Skallies and Zombies were attached to the Necromancer somehow and if so, get the Puppet-Master on-side and the puppets will follow. The only one of these that might be a problem is the Ankheg, but that's going to be a problem for any level 1 solo.

Half-Orc Rogue with 14 Cha and Expertise could have a +6 modifier in Intimidation. Depending on how well the dice fall, that could be a recruited band of Orcs, willing to fight on your behalf, especially if it's backed by a decent Strength and Expertise in Athletics for knocking your lackeys heads together.

A Half-Elf has an even better chance with the Bandits, due to higher Charisma.

As a solo, talking your way through encounters designed for a party of four to fight has got to be less suicidal than drawing steel and duking it out.

This is, of course, assuming the encounters don't attack on sight for no good reason other than "because you're a PC".

Tanarii
2016-03-03, 07:44 PM
Half-Orc Rogue with 14 Cha and Expertise could have a +6 modifier in Intimidation. Depending on how well the dice fall, that could be a recruited band of Orcs, willing to fight on your behalf, especially if it's backed by a decent Strength and Expertise in Athletics for knocking your lackeys heads together.Agreed. Talking to the opponents was definitely an option that was given. And recruiting encounters to work with you is definitely the intelligent thing to do. Unless there's an assumption they're automatically hostile.

I'd definitely go the Warlock route for that reason too. Max Cha / Dex. Proficiency in Stealth (bypassing enemies), Perception (spotting enemies before they spot you), Investigation (figuring out how to disable traps), Tools: Thieves (Disabling Traps & Locks), and at least one of Persuasion, Deception and Intimidate. I'd go with Persuasion personally. Languages Orc, Goblin, and maybe Draconic. Try to get some intelligent creatures, probably humanoids, that you can interact with and try to get on your side as quickly as possible. Bypass anything you can before that point.

rooster707
2016-03-03, 07:48 PM
You're 1st level.
You're alone,
lost,
in the dark,

Suddenly you see him,
out of the corner of your eye,
Shia LaBeouf.

8wGremlin
2016-03-03, 09:27 PM
Suddenly you see him,
out of the corner of your eye,
Shia LaBeouf.

- love it...

also just so you know there is this in the background section of PHB pg 126, bolded emphasis mine

Proficiencies

Each background gives a character proficiency in two skills. Skills are described in chapter 7. In addition, most backgrounds give a character proficiency with one or more tools. Tools and tool proficiencies are detailed in chapter 5. If a character would gain the same proficiency from two different sources, he or she can choose a different proficiency of the same kind (skill or tool) instead.

Which might affect some people's background options

Misterwhisper
2016-03-03, 10:47 PM
(I've paraphrased you for ease)

I absolutely agree with all of this...except point 4 and the last part of 8.

We've been told that opponents to date have included;

The Necromancer, Bandits and Orcs can all be spoken to, or at the very least Intimidated. I assume the Skallies and Zombies were attached to the Necromancer somehow and if so, get the Puppet-Master on-side and the puppets will follow. The only one of these that might be a problem is the Ankheg, but that's going to be a problem for any level 1 solo.

Half-Orc Rogue with 14 Cha and Expertise could have a +6 modifier in Intimidation. Depending on how well the dice fall, that could be a recruited band of Orcs, willing to fight on your behalf, especially if it's backed by a decent Strength and Expertise in Athletics for knocking your lackeys heads together.

A Half-Elf has an even better chance with the Bandits, due to higher Charisma.

As a solo, talking your way through encounters designed for a party of four to fight has got to be less suicidal than drawing steel and duking it out.

This is, of course, assuming the encounters don't attack on sight for no good reason other than "because you're a PC".

While sure, you could go with high charisma and social skills, there is one issue with that.

You are going to be out in the open talking to some people more than likely, what happens if they do not want to let you pass/join them/ect? Now you have a fight on your hands and more than likely outnumbered, have lost surprise, and are probably in range.

Not worth the risk.

The main issue is, can you make it to level 2.

That is where most classes get a HUGE boost, especially the Druid that I built, Wild Shape is such a game changer I am surprised it made print considering how over powered it is.

Finding someone with a bow and killing them is also super important because sadly, Druids do not have much in the way of ranged damaging cantrips.
You will have to hope to come across a lone target with a bow you can hopefully kill by surprise.

First step should be get out of the cave and move to land travel.
Rarely will caves give you decent line of sight or extended ranges.

Over land you could have long ranged battles if you want to start one, or if you are lucky, see a group coming and just avoid them.

Just for fun, because this is my kind of thing, I will put together an alternate build for someone without magic. Call it "Hard Mode"

Half Elf, Rogue, NE, Going assassin if by some chance you make it to level 3.

Str: 9
Dex: 16 (15 + 1)
Con: 12
Int: 8
Wis: 14 (13 + 1)
Cha: 16 (14 + 2)

Background: Again Criminal. Skills are just duplicates, same as thieves tools.

Skills:

Perception (Exp)
Persuasion
Deception
Stealth (Exp)
Slight of Hand
Acrobatics
Insight
Survival
Thieves tool Proficiency
Poisoner's Kit Proficiency (from double training in thieves tools) Not that you will probably find one.

Gear:

Rapier
Short bow w/20 arrows
Explorer's pack
Leather Armor
Dagger x2
Thieves tools

AC: 15
HP: 10

New Plan... sort of.

You are a cowardly, squishy, evil, charismatic and ruthless, sniper so act like it.

1. If you get the drop on anyone that is alone, which with your stealth and senses you should, kill them.
2. If you are ever seen, or the enemy does not drop on your first hit which is not super likely, KITE them.
3. If you see a group, avoid them, if you can't, pray to roll well and go try to con them.
4. Once you get to level 2, if you are lucky enough to make it, Cunning action to kite them even better. Shoot + move + hide if available, Shoot + Dash if you can't.
5. If you get to level 3, assassin surprise auto crit is a beast for a bloodthirsty sniper, heaven forbid you find someone alone.
6. Again main priority is to sneak you way past as much as you can, fighting is a last resort unless you find someone who looks obviously alone and non-castery, and non-Barbarian.

JellyPooga
2016-03-04, 07:27 AM
The main issue is, can you make it to level 2.

This is the problem I foresee with taking a combative approach. Unless the GM feeds you some "easy" encounters to get your level up and ease you into things, combat is just a bad idea. Even a level 2 Druid taking on an encounter designed for 4 will probably die like a chump and I doubt that a Druid, or anyone else for that matter, will even get to level 2 if he's fighting his way there.

Let's look at some of the challenges we're talking about. Going by-the-book, these are appropriate for a party of 4 level 1 characters, adjusted for solo play (i.e. a higher multiplier for multiple creatures).

Medium Difficulty:
- 2 Orcs. Good luck running away from their Aggressive behaviour, let alone effectively kiting. 15hp apiece, 9 damage on a hit. Hope you brought a +2 Con mod to the fight, otherwise any non-Fighter(type) is down in a single hit. With a bit of luck, I can see a solo winning this fight. Maybe.
- 5 Kobolds. One runs up; maybe he hits, maybe he misses. The rest pelt you with slingstones from afar, with Advantage. One round; you're the next thing on their menu. Even assuming you survive the first round, you're going to kill one, maybe 2 or 3 if you blow an AoE spell like Burning Hands on it and they were in a clump. I can't see any Level 1 character surviving this fight outside of very fortunate circumstances.

Easy Difficulty
- 1 Magma Mephit. Heat Metal, Fire Breath. Flies. 22hp. Explodes when it dies. Don't worry, this is an Easy fight.

I don't even want to look at what you might face in a Hard or Deadly encounter. These fights just aren't winnable without ridiculous luck. Action Economy alone is against you. A good Persuasion check, on the other hand; yeah it might leave you in the open and your opponents ready for a fight, if you botch it, but if you were going to lose the fight anyway, what difference does it make?

Tanarii
2016-03-04, 11:35 AM
Not only that, but you adjusted for solo play (adjusted the modifier). He said appropriate for a party of 4, that means using the standard XP adjustment for number of opponents, not the one for 3 or less creatures. (Or did I not understand what you meant?)

The only realistic options are bypassing, gaining allies, or gaining access to power completely in excess of norm for your level. (Finding an artifact?)

Best bet? Rogue, with max Dex & Cha, Expertise in Stealth and Persuasion. Make sure you know how to speak Orc and/or Goblin.

Alternately, Half-orc Warlock Acolyte, find some orcs or goblins stat, and induct them into your cult. :)

JellyPooga
2016-03-04, 11:47 AM
(Or did I not understand what you meant?)

Yeah, you got it. I budgeted for 4 level 1 PC's (i.e. 100xp for Easy, 200xp for Medium), but used the multiple foes modifiers for 3 or less (i.e. one step higher on the chart). If taken straight (i.e. budgeting directly for 4), it's even harder.

Catinmychair
2016-03-05, 02:53 PM
I think a Half-elf bard would be a pretty good choice.The fact that you can pick any 5 skill proficiencies you want (not including what your background gets you), +1 to two stats of your choice, and a bit of flexibility with spells makes it pretty decent.

As far as stats go, I'd put the bard at this:

16 CHA, 16 DEX, 14 CON, 12 WIS, 10 STR, 8 INT.

For the background, I'd pick Urchin, mainly for the proficiency in Stealth, because it'd be better to sneak past all the encounters than face them head on. As for the other five skills, I'd choose Survival, Perception, Acrobatics, Persuasion, and Intimidation (because maybe this bard could scare off an encounter).

Again, it'd be preferable to Stealth through the wilderness, but combat is probably going to happen. Along with the leather armor/dagger, I'd have the bard carry a rapier around, though he'd probably use that just when he runs out of spells.

As for spells, I'd pick Blade Ward and Vicious Mockery as the cantrips (due to their buff/debuff capabilities), and for the 1st level ones, I'd pick Dissonant Whispers, Bane, Sleep, and Cure Wounds.

So this bard would try to sneak away from any fights, though if an encounter had to happen, he could either talk his way out of it (if he can do that to the enemies he faces), or debuff them and run away.

The only thing that really doesn't contribute here is Inspiration, but that can't really be helped.

Tarvil
2016-03-05, 03:16 PM
I'd probably go with Aarakocra Druid. You can easily sustain yourself with goodberry, you can escape from most encounters (and evading enemies is usually as good as fighting them, xp-wise). At lvl 2 bear fun begins.

Moosoculars
2016-03-05, 03:45 PM
Adding to the warlock build would be the undying patron. Their first level effect Among the dead will be a fantastic aid against the zombies, skeletons and perhaps allow a bluff or charm to work on the necromancer.

The ability should stop them going the way of the dwarf and being peppered with skeleton arrows.