PDA

View Full Version : karmic strike

tid1000
2007-06-18, 05:01 PM
I need a hand clarifying this feat for usuage in my campaign.

Karmic strike.
Complete Warrior
Requires activation, with a few details that I'm fine with.

Allows you to make an attack of opportunity against an opponent that hits you in melee.

Now an 11th level fighter foe uses the full attack option to attack 3 times, and all 3 attacks hits.

The question is does Karmic strike permit one return attack of opportunity as per the rule that you may only get one attack of opportunity per action;

Or does it permit one return attack per actual hit; granting the character with the feat 3 free attacks against that one dude.

Damionte
2007-06-18, 06:38 PM
The second, which is per the attack of opportunities rule.

Each attack is a seperate opportunity. Attack of opportunity rules don't let you take 4 attacks of opportunity against someone who swings at you once.

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-18, 10:12 PM
Note that you still need Combat Reflexes(and 14 or more Dex) to make more than one AoO per round.

I_Got_This_Name
2007-06-18, 10:21 PM
Note that you still need Combat Reflexes(and 14 or more Dex) to make more than one AoO per round.

12 or more dex; it allows a number of additional AoOs, not AoOs, equal to dexterity bonus.

Note that according to a completely useless, literalist, neither RAU nor RAI reading, once you use up the extra AoOs from Combat Reflexes, they're gone; you may make a number of additional AoOs, not additional AoOs per anything. You get one AoO per round, plus a number of AoOs equal to your dexterity bonus, but no more than one per opportunity. The intent is clear, and the FAQ probably clears this up, but the feat doesn't say that you get them back every round.

TheOOB
2007-06-18, 10:38 PM
12 or more dex; it allows a number of additional AoOs, not AoOs, equal to dexterity bonus.

Note that according to a completely useless, literalist, neither RAU nor RAI reading, once you use up the extra AoOs from Combat Reflexes, they're gone; you may make a number of additional AoOs, not additional AoOs per anything. You get one AoO per round, plus a number of AoOs equal to your dexterity bonus, but no more than one per opportunity. The intent is clear, and the FAQ probably clears this up, but the feat doesn't say that you get them back every round.

Acually take a look at the Attacks of Opportunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm) section of the SRD.

Combat Reflexes and Additional Attacks of Opportunity

If you have the Combat Reflexes feat you can add your Dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you can make in a round. This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity, but if the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you, you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity). Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent. All these attacks are at your full normal attack bonus.

I_Got_This_Name
2007-06-18, 11:43 PM
Alright; it's fixed elsewhere in the PHB. Good to know, since, just looking at the feat, it looked like it added your dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you could make, ever. So not only does the (deliberate) misinterpretation violate the intent of the rules and go against the way people play it, it's also against the letter (somewhere else).

Of course, if one were intent on finding Combat Reflexes to be a (the?) limited-use-ever feat, they might interpret the feat as a primary source and the Combat section as a contradictory rule. If I were stupid or intent on wasting CustServ's time (as opposed to that of random people on forums), that might merit sending a question in to Customer Service.

Knowing CustServ, though, they might call it as limited uses ever.