PDA

View Full Version : Roy's faith in a Forgotten Realms settings

SomeLich
2007-06-18, 05:37 PM
Well,

if Roy was an Forgotten Realms character, he would be a follower of Ilmater, wouldn't he? I mean, he is the stereotype of a masochist.

Any thoughts?

Michael

Yechezkiel
2007-06-18, 05:52 PM
Well,

if Roy was an Forgotten Realms character, he would be a follower of Ilmater, wouldn't he? I mean, he is the stereotype of a masochist.

Any thoughts?

Michael

Kossuth. He's a sucker for punishment.

holywhippet
2007-06-18, 05:55 PM
In what way is he a masochist? He doesn't go out of his way to have pain inflicted on himself. He has a duty that he's sworn to fulfil and he doesn't plan on running away from it.

I'd guess that Roy would be a follower of Torm.

Querzis
2007-06-18, 05:58 PM
In what way is he a masochist? He doesn't go out of his way to have pain inflicted on himself. He has a duty that he's sworn to fulfil and he doesn't plan on running away from it.

I'm pretty damn sure it was supposed to be a joke or a troll...

Yechezkiel
2007-06-18, 06:03 PM
It's a joke, but the reference is to Elan and the entire party. It's where Roy's token :smallannoyed: comes from.

Breaon
2007-06-18, 06:20 PM
Well,

Any thoughts?

Michael

I'm thinking Helm, or possibly Tempus, though LG & Tempus don't quite agree.

Tawkis
2007-06-18, 07:58 PM
Lathander or Illmater, with me leaning towards the latter.

Since Roy is more Good focused than Law I think he "fits" there better than Torm or Tyr.

TheNovak
2007-06-18, 08:02 PM
Oh, yeah. Illmater. Maybe not a devout worshipper, but "Illmater, give me the strength to not strangle Elan" would be a common prayer :smallsmile:

Darkstar90
2007-06-18, 08:03 PM
Tyr, definitely. Tyr isn't just FR though, it's Norse, so he could still follow him.

Roderick_BR
2007-06-18, 08:36 PM

I'd guess that Roy would be a follower of Torm.
He's the leader of a group that has Belkar and Elan. Of course he's a masochist :smalltongue:

NeonRonin
2007-06-19, 12:46 AM
I'd say Roy would fit well with either Torm or Tyr. Belkar seems a likely candidate for a worshipper of Tempus... or perhaps Cyric on his REALLY evil days.

Continuing with the FR gods... I could see Haley praying to Tymora, though with her love of money she might also pay lip service to Waukeen.

Vaarsuvius? Corellon Larethian(magic is part of his portfolio). Or, Azuth. He seems more V-esque than Mystra IMHO.

Durkon... well, there's Moradin of course, but I wouldn't discount Clangeddin Silverbeard either. I am open to suggestions for him(and the others).

Elan? Well, with his (right when he needs it) luck I'd say Tymora is a pretty good option. Don't believe FR has an option for Banjo equivalents. Although, there are other celebratory/bardic gods... Lliira, Milil, and Oghma being on such a list.

SomeLich
2007-06-19, 12:54 AM
Hi, thanks for the replies, guys!

First of all, I'm no troll - inadequate size modifier & no regeneration abilities.

However, even if we can't reach a consensus on Roy's faith, whether he is presumably a follower of Tyr, Torm or Ilmater - he would definitely get along with the gods of the triade, wouldn't he?

- his brain get periodically sucked out by Elan's speeches
- he's always at the front line without being commended for that
- his family member's don't acknowledge his MBA
- he even changed his gender to prevent s.o. killing a group's member

Michael

lacesmcawesome
2007-06-19, 12:58 AM
- his brain get periodically sucked out by Elan's speeches
- he's always at the front line without being commended for that
- his family member's don't acknowledge his MBA
- he even changed his gender to prevent s.o. killing a group's member

While I know next to nothing about Forgotten Realms, and can't give a ruling on the gods thing, I don't see how these points make him a masochist.

I think what he does most of the time is sacrifice a lot to help others. Not quite masochism.

SomeLich
2007-06-19, 01:07 AM
I think that it's quite masochistic even from a LG point of view to be confronted with a Banjo puppet for the tenth time in row after doing something very heroic. ;-)

Celébrith
2007-06-19, 01:09 AM
I'd say Torm. Roy seems to have a deep sense of duty and Torm is the god of duty. :smallwink:

lacesmcawesome
2007-06-19, 01:12 AM
I think that it's quite masochistic even from a LG point of view to be confronted with a Banjo puppet for the tenth time in row after doing something very heroic. ;-)

I think we have different ideas of masochistic. To me, that's more like, really unlucky.

Masochistic would be like, if he sought people out to annoy him, or got enjoyment from the pain/annoyance/whatever.

SomeLich
2007-06-19, 01:18 AM
Ok. ;-) But Roy comes quite close to a masochist from my point of view... He hasn't be rewarded for one of his actions so I guess he got used to the only appreciation: sarkasm, insulting jokes (especially by Belkar) and taunting lessons by Xykon.

Borris
2007-06-19, 01:53 AM
For Roy, I'd go with Torm. As much as he tries to deny it at some points, he's all about doing his duty. He's honourable, and especially values his friends loyalty (he even commended Belkar's). Torm is lawful good but encourages his followers to question and improve unjust laws. A cleric of Torm's duty is, in order, to his faith, his family, his masters, and all good beings in the world. And we know how far Ray is willing to go for his family, even for those he doesn't get along with.

As for the other members, I guess Haley would go with Waukeen, the goddess of wealth. She's shown interests for other things, but nothing ranks as high as money for Haley (except maybe Elan since very recently). Seeing her precious loot blown up was even enough to render her unable to speak.

Elan would probably worship Milil, the god of song and eloquence. He's always had a thing for a good story; he knows all the rules for one, actually. And even after a slight change of class for the Dashing Swordsman prestige class, he still has a thing for clever puns and witty retorts.

Vaarsuvius would probably be the less devour member of the Order of the Stick. In the elven pantheon, Corellon is the most fitting choice, with magic and warfare both among his portfolios. If you can consider Vaarsuvius to be far enough from any elven tradition to have turned to the Faerūnian pantheon, then Azuth, the god of wizards and spells, would make the best choice.

Belkar would most likely worship Malar, the Faerūnian god of hunters, stalking, and bloodlust. He's typically worshipped by hunters and nongood rangers; he's a perfect fit for Belkar! With Belkar's attitude and no evil deity in the halfling panthon, he'd probably have turned from them a long while ago.

As for Durkon, he already has a patron deity, but among the members of the dwarven panthon, I'd say he'd be a cleric of Clangeddin Silverbeard. He's definitely a proactive dwarven war cleric, not an artisan or a smith, not a defender, and not one who loves battle and war for their own sake either.

SomeLich
2007-06-19, 02:03 AM
Great posting!

Sylian
2007-06-19, 04:45 AM
I think your definiation of machoism is a little off.

The counterpart of sadism is masochism, the sexual pleasure or gratification of having pain or suffering inflicted upon the self, often consisting of sexual fantasies or urges for being beaten, humiliated, bound, tortured, or otherwise made to suffer, either as an enhancement to or a substitute for sexual pleasure.
Also, Roy doesn't like it. He doesn't like Elan's idiocy. He didn't want to change gender. He did it anyway, because he's Lawful Good. Lawful can mean loyalty, Good can mean self-sacrifising. He doesn't hurt himself deliberately if he can help it. So, he's not a masochist.

SomeLich
2007-06-19, 06:18 AM
In addition, I've learned no to use it an ironic context like this thread. Come on guys, don't be that deadly serious. :smallwink:

Morbidian
2007-06-19, 06:42 AM
In addition, I've learned no to use it an ironic context like this thread. Come on guys, don't be that deadly serious. :smallwink:

Obviously you haven't been reading this message board for very long. Many of the people who post on a regular basis here have a serious case of OCD regarding overanalyzing and arguing about every single little possible thing in the comic and extrapolated from the comic.

Case in point, look back a while ago when Belkar out of frustration gave an unconscious Miko a half-hearted kick. The board immediately was flooded with people screaming "WAS BELKAR'S KICK LETHAL DAMAGE BECAUSE SHE WAS UNCONSCIOUS? WILL THE MARK OF JUSTICE ACTIVATE? IS THE MARK OF JUSTICE REAL?"

You can't expect to start any sort of thread without somebody being overly serious about it. Especially when you do something such as using words like "faith" in the title - that's an immediate red flag for some folks.

Tower
2007-06-19, 07:04 AM
I see Roy as Lathander in FR
Although he seems more like a LG follower of Pelor

I keep forgetting what they are called, but the Book of Vile Darkness(?) talks about an race of Evil halfings.
That is Belkar to the Ground

SomeLich
2007-06-19, 07:08 AM
Ok, I'll use my Kofi-Annan-Parser next time. Maybe I should use "credo" instead of faith? I've learned my lesson.

Au revoir!

Le Michael

TheNovak
2007-06-19, 08:25 AM
Just wanted to say, I think folks are misclassifying Illmater as a "God of Masochism." He's more of a "God of Suffering," but in a Lawful Good "Sure, I'll hold your cross for you" kind of way. Patience, fortitude, and so on.

So yeah, Roy'd totally be ill with Illmater.

SurlySeraph
2007-06-19, 08:28 PM
For Roy, I'd go with Torm. As much as he tries to deny it at some points, he's all about doing his duty. He's honourable, and especially values his friends loyalty (he even commended Belkar's). Torm is lawful good but encourages his followers to question and improve unjust laws. A cleric of Torm's duty is, in order, to his faith, his family, his masters, and all good beings in the world. And we know how far Ray is willing to go for his family, even for those he doesn't get along with.

As for the other members, I guess Haley would go with Waukeen, the goddess of wealth. She's shown interests for other things, but nothing ranks as high as money for Haley (except maybe Elan since very recently). Seeing her precious loot blown up was even enough to render her unable to speak.

Elan would probably worship Milil, the god of song and eloquence. He's always had a thing for a good story; he knows all the rules for one, actually. And even after a slight change of class for the Dashing Swordsman prestige class, he still has a thing for clever puns and witty retorts.

Vaarsuvius would probably be the less devour member of the Order of the Stick. In the elven pantheon, Corellon is the most fitting choice, with magic and warfare both among his portfolios. If you can consider Vaarsuvius to be far enough from any elven tradition to have turned to the Faerūnian pantheon, then Azuth, the god of wizards and spells, would make the best choice.

Belkar would most likely worship Malar, the Faerūnian god of hunters, stalking, and bloodlust. He's typically worshipped by hunters and nongood rangers; he's a perfect fit for Belkar! With Belkar's attitude and no evil deity in the halfling panthon, he'd probably have turned from them a long while ago.

As for Durkon, he already has a patron deity, but among the members of the dwarven panthon, I'd say he'd be a cleric of Clangeddin Silverbeard. He's definitely a proactive dwarven war cleric, not an artisan or a smith, not a defender, and not one who loves battle and war for their own sake either.

I don't see much way to improve on this post.

Note that Ilmater isn't really about accepting pain for the sake of pain. The idea is to suffer so that no one else has to, to be a martyr. Taking an arrow for someone else (e.g., Elan) is a quintessentially Ilmaterian act.

dragoncmd
2007-06-20, 01:54 AM

Ironically, most people on these boards would know a sense of humor if it kicked them for lethal damage only to have its mark of justice activated because they were unconscious.

P.S. I like the choice of malar for belkar, that was well thought out.

SomeLich
2007-06-20, 07:45 AM
Ironically, most people on these boards would know a sense of humor if it kicked them for lethal damage only to have its mark of justice activated because they were unconscious.

Well, but keep in mind that they are reading a parody at the same time. :smallsmile:

:biggrin:

Keldin
2007-06-20, 05:23 PM
I would have to peg Roy as a follower of a Neutral Good god, so that means Lathander in FR and Pelor in Greyhawk. Though he is Lawful Good, he has neutral tendencies, and he is willing to either bend the rules or otherwise do non-lawful things (like tearing up the contracts the others had signed) in order to do what he believes to be good.

Given the rules, however, it's not impossible for him to be a follower of ANY deity, as he is not a cleric and therefore could theoretically be a worshipper of Cyric if he so desired (that would be weird, but you get my drift.)

Whoever said Belkar would be a worshipper of Malar was bang on in my book. Malar is pure, unadulterated bloodlust. He doesn't make plans to commit evil, and neither does Belkar, really -- he just takes advantage of any opportunity that comes his way.

Gol_Stoan
2007-06-20, 07:54 PM
I am not particularly familiar with Forgotten Realms pantheon, I do however have a clue as to V's faith, I wonder which god most closely matches his/her description.

:vaarsuvius: "I worship the ancient elven god of knowledge, keeper of secrets so mighty that even the smallest taste of them would shatter your sanity! My devotion to his arcane mysteries is absolute! I shall never renounce him!"

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0081.html

Thrall_Of_Ao
2007-06-20, 09:23 PM
I'm a HUGE fan of FR (hence the name), and I have no sense of humor whatsoever. I don't reallly see the humor in OOTS; I read it primarily to entertain myself by arguing the possible correlation of the comic strip events with D&D game mechanics that Mr. Burlew inadvertantly or purposely includes in the course of the story.

So, the simple answer is, Roy, nor any other OOTS character, would fit into the FR campaign setting, or follow any of their hallowed dietys. End of story, thanks for writing:smallyuk:

Ok, back to reality, OOTS is a parody, hence, sarcastic humor. Get use to it, learn to live with it, embrace it, and yes, LOVE IT.

Yes, OOTS is a unique creature, because it does have real story, and in some cases real drama, but it's focus is humor. Hence, we can have threads like this, AND I can make posts like this too :smallbiggrin: .

So, In my opinion, I'd have to go with Roy worshiping Torm or Illmater, leaning strongly towards the former, because I see him as a character who is more driven to complete his mission no matter what, than driven to sacrifice himself to serve others no matter what.

SomeLich
2007-06-21, 01:04 AM
:vaarsuvius: "I worship the ancient elven god of knowledge, keeper of secrets so mighty that even the smallest taste of them would shatter your sanity! My devotion to his arcane mysteries is absolute! I shall never renounce him!"

I'd go with Corellon Larethian, who possesses the portfolio of magic hence would match your description.:smalltongue:

Renegade Paladin
2007-06-21, 01:10 AM
First, Ilmater isn't about masochism and while there is an order of monks "devoted" to him that like to make others "share Ilmater's pain," one would do well to note that they are heretics.

That said, Ilmater is about relieving the suffering of others. And while commendable, that doesn't seem to be Roy's primary calling to me. I'd have to say Torm for lack of other options.

SomeLich
2007-06-21, 01:24 AM
Well, at least besides the FR we can say that Belkar isn't practising Buddhism.:smallsmile:

Quezovercoatl
2007-06-21, 09:56 AM
Dusts of copy of Faiths and Pantseons. The problem with Haley and Waukeen is that while Waukeen is the goddess of wealth she is all about mercantile wealth while Haley prefers a more roguery orientated aproach.

DM ClemLOR
2007-06-27, 03:23 PM
Well ...

I wonder ... as some of us revealed their unknowing about FR, why didn't anybody try to evaluate the Eberron Campaign Setting or Dark Sun Setting ... ?
:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

But, alas, I agree: Ilmater seems to be a little far fetched.
The idea of Torm sounds good to me, but only in terms of being a patron deity tp Roy and not a god in which Roy would put all / most of his believe.

Greetings
DM ClemLOR

SomeLich
2007-06-28, 07:23 AM
@DM ClemLOR:

Man, it's fragging good to see you! (Sorry, Battlestar Galactica finally succeeded in changing my way of communication). ;-) Just another Lower Saxon has joined the forum! Yippie!

Besides, it has to Ilmater in Roy's case. Otherwise Roy would most certainly be the most pitiful follower of Torm I've come to know by far. Maybe except from Karl Ranseier.

By the way, has the Eberron campaign already been running at the beginning of OOTS?

Michael