PDA

View Full Version : Best items for a low level Gish

ZhanStrider
2016-03-01, 08:55 PM
My Gish needs equipment. Currently swordsage2/sorcerer3/sandshaper1. Planning to take one level of Jade Pheonix Mage.

What are my best items by body slot? I have a Third Eye : freedom and a Cloak of Charisma.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-03-01, 09:00 PM
If there's some way you could swing a discount by having someone else do the crafting, gauntlets of heartfelt blows are pretty sweet. Charisma to damage is nothing to sniff at for a sorcerer gish.

ZhanStrider
2016-03-02, 03:48 AM
If there's some way you could swing a discount by having someone else do the crafting, gauntlets of heartfelt blows are pretty sweet. Charisma to damage is nothing to sniff at for a sorcerer gish.

That would be good yeah!

Irk
2016-03-02, 05:38 AM
Anklets of Translocation maybe? I feel those could play well off of some Swordsage maneuvers.

Perhaps and Empowered Spellshard (http://eberron-circvs.wikidot.com/empowered-spellshard). Or several. Drake Helm is also from MoE and could work for you.

What kind of build have you got? With a general idea of the role you're trying to fulfill, and the techniques you use to fulfill it will be easier to name some stuff.

ZhanStrider
2016-03-02, 06:30 AM
Anklets of Translocation maybe? I feel those could play well off of some Swordsage maneuvers.

Perhaps and Empowered Spellshard (http://eberron-circvs.wikidot.com/empowered-spellshard). Or several. Drake Helm is also from MoE and could work for you.

What kind of build have you got? With a general idea of the role you're trying to fulfill, and the techniques you use to fulfill it will be easier to name some stuff.

No teleporting by DM Fiat.

Empowered shard is a good one.

I don't know if I really fill a role. I'm basically the party blaster half the time and the other half being the party skirmisher at this point.

Irk
2016-03-02, 07:12 AM
No teleporting by DM Fiat.

Empowered shard is a good one.

I don't know if I really fill a role. I'm basically the party blaster half the time and the other half being the party skirmisher at this point.

Armbands of Might could be good. Any Tome of Battle items to get better maneuvers.

Mobility seems to be an issue with no teleporting. Quicksilver Boots [MIC] could help with that, giving you the ability to move your full speed 2/day as a swift action. for 3,500 GP.

What sort of spells/maneuvers do you normally use?

Hiro Quester
2016-03-02, 07:21 AM
Seconding gauntlets of heartfelt blows. Esp if your Cha bonus is high. CHA is one of the ore abusable stats for gaining bonuses to other things. Check the X stat to y bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?125732-3-x-X-stat-to-Y-bonus)thread for suggestions. Some items there might be worth considering.

Increasing your AC is probably a high priority. Amulet of natural armor? Ring of protection? Gloves/boots of dexterity?

Or increase your hit points and fort saves with an amulet of health.

Check out Ernir's list of necessary magic items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items). The cheaper methods of adding miss chances (e.g. Torc of displacement for 2000 gp)might be worth considering.

Weapon and armor augment crystals (MIC) are another cheap way of adding useful abilities to weapon or armor.

Darrin
2016-03-02, 11:52 AM
Head:

Helm of Tactics (2000 GP, MIC). +2 melee damage bonus when flanking for all allies within 60'. Great for summoning multiple creatures.

Face:

You already mentioned the Third Eye Freedom. Sounds good to me.

Throat:

Chronocharm of the Uncaring Archmage (500 GP, MIC) and Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker (500 GP, MIC). Or if you already have the Helm of Tactics, the Amulet of Teamwork (2000 GP, MIC) pairs up nicely with it.

Shoulders:

Consider transferring the Charisma bonus to a Cloak of Elemental Protection (1000 GP, MIC) or Travel Cloak (1200 GP, MoF).

Arms:

Armband of Elusive Action (800 GP, MIC). I have trouble finding good arm-slot items. This is a good "starter" item until something more interesting comes along. Bracers of the Entangling Blast (2000 GP, MIC) is also easy on the coinpurse and offers a nice little debuff. If you are doing anything with Power Attack, save up for Armbands of Might (4100 GP, MIC). Otherwise, save up for Strongarm Bracers (6000 GP, MIC) or Crimson Dragonhide Bracers (5000 GP, MIC).

Hands:

Arcanist's Gloves (500 GP, MIC) to squeeze out that extra magic missile or Gloves of the Starry Sky (1100 GP, MIC) to still enjoy the satisfaction of magic missile while leaving your 1st level spell slots open for something else.

Rings:

Aside from the standard Ring of Protection +1, consider Ring of the Four Winds (2000 GP, MIC) for feather fall and the occasional +2 deflection bonus. Stormfire Ring (4000 GP, MIC) is a personal favorite: counters invisibility/concealment and autohit energy damage without a save.

Torso:

Dispelling Cord (1000 GP, MIC). Whenever you select 3rd level spells, you always tell yourself "Oh, my character isn't really a dispeller, there must be some other interesting 3rd level spells I can take instead of dispel magic!", but then you wind up taking dispel magic anyway, because it's just too darned useful. So give yourself a +2 bonus on dispel checks.

Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (2500 GP, MIC). Also works on non-spellcasting Concentration checks.

Waist:

Healing Belt (750 GP, MIC). Consider saving up for a Belt of Wide Earth (8000 GP, MIC).

Feet:

Anklet of Translocation (1400 GP, MIC). Almost as ubiquitous as the previous item.

LoyalPaladin
2016-03-02, 12:13 PM
I like Gauntlet of Heartfelt Blows. I think it's in the Dragon Compendium, but I'm away from my books. It adds your charisma modifier to your melee damage rolls.

ZhanStrider
2016-03-03, 10:09 AM
I like Gauntlet of Heartfelt Blows. I think it's in the Dragon Compendium, but I'm away from my books. It adds your charisma modifier to your melee damage rolls.

Any way to make GoHB not have to be fire damage?

Vizzerdrix
2016-03-03, 10:59 AM
Ive always been a fan of the travelers cloak. Food, tea and a place to sleep all for 1200, plus a few other benefits.

If you can make the check then always have shapesand.

Healing belts are lifesavers. The more you have, the better. Swap the used onez out between combats.

Quertus
2016-03-03, 11:41 AM
The amulet of emergency healing (6k, MiC) is a bit pricy for your level, but if you have someone in the party who isn't using their swift actions, it can be a literal life saver!

LoyalPaladin
2016-03-03, 01:33 PM
Any way to make GoHB not have to be fire damage?
Not by RAW, I don't think. You could ask your DM for a different type, but most would probably say no if you chose sonic haha.

ZhanStrider
2016-03-03, 02:31 PM
Not by RAW, I don't think. You could ask your DM for a different type, but most would probably say no if you chose sonic haha.

Well I mean, why not just basically have it act like "Weapon Finesse" where you sub out your Str mod and sub in your Cha mod? regualr weapon damage.

Hiro Quester
2016-03-03, 06:47 PM
The thunderlance spell does that. An excellent 4th level (from memory) Gish spell.

Creates a lance of force that immediately extends up to 20 ft or down to 5ft, and uses your main casting stat instead of str for attack and damage. Plus it does 3d6 base force damage, and can dispel a shield or Mage armor spell on your target.

The limitation is that it's rounds/level duration. But that can be an entire encounter in many situations.

LoyalPaladin
2016-03-04, 10:55 AM
Well I mean, why not just basically have it act like "Weapon Finesse" where you sub out your Str mod and sub in your Cha mod? regualr weapon damage.
You want Slippers of Battledancing for that. GotHB only add your Cha mod to damage.

Darrin
2016-03-04, 12:03 PM
You want Slippers of Battledancing for that. GotHB only add your Cha mod to damage.

There's a caveat with those slippers: you only get the Cha bonus on attack/damage if you move at least 10' as part of a move action. This usually prevents you from getting the bonus on a full attack unless you're using some sort of action economy shenanigans.

LoyalPaladin
2016-03-04, 12:57 PM
There's a caveat with those slippers: you only get the Cha bonus on attack/damage if you move at least 10' as part of a move action. This usually prevents you from getting the bonus on a full attack unless you're using some sort of action economy shenanigans.
Which is really sucky, but I can't really think of another way to add charisma to attack.

ZhanStrider
2016-03-04, 02:29 PM
Which is really sucky, but I can't really think of another way to add charisma to attack.

Plus 33,000 GP is WAY out side my price range.

LoyalPaladin
2016-03-04, 02:35 PM
Plus 33,000 GP is WAY out side my price range.
Yeah... they're spendy little buggers.