PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Seeking help for a spell-casting pirate

linkblade91
2016-03-01, 09:24 PM
Hello Giant Forums; long-time lurker first-time poster :)

As the title suggests, I'm struggling to narrow down a cool and fun idea for this pirate character of mine, and was hoping for some assistance brain-storming. I love character-generation, in some ways more than actually playing them, but with my chronic indecisiveness I struggle moving forward unless I find something that "clicks" with me. I'm also a rather verbose writer, so fair warning on the incoming essay lol:

Our campaign is Vikings meets Pirates of the Caribbean, with the players as a pirate crew raiding villages, combating other ships, avoiding the law, etc. The captain is an NPC, as will be most of the "regular" crew stuff; I was told the campaign wasn't worrying about little details or rules-Nazi-ing so we can focus on being the raiding/boarding party and tear it up. We're all level one, and while Google is certainly possible for classes from other source materials, our group is mostly relying on the Core 3.5 book.

Our group is small, so we're running two characters a piece. Currently, our raiders consist of:

- a Troll net-and-trident Barbarian
- a Lizardman shapechange + summoning Druid
- an Ogre grappling/wrestling Monk (my other character)
- some more undecided(s)

...did I mention this was a monster-boat? 'Cause it's a monster boat lol. With a Barb, Monk and shapechange-Druid on the team our melee presence is pretty crowded, and with the other guys also set on the melee-viking fantasy it falls to me to add some spell-casting power. I already have the race picked out: Gripli. For those of you who don't know, Griplis are Small-size frog-people, with a stat change of -3 Str, +4 Dex, -2 Wis, and +2 Cha. They also have Darkvision, Lucky, Fearlessness, and a bonus to Move Silently. My stat rolls were: 10, 10, 12, 13, 14, 14, and 18 ("Uhh...there are seven stats." The seventh is for Luck).

This is as far as I've gotten; after that, my aforementioned affliction hits hard. Some ideas of mine include:

- This is a rare opportunity for me to play an Evil character; pirates aren't inherently Evil, but there ain't no Paladins around to get mad at me
- I suppose I could be a buffer/healer. We kind of need one of those...hopefully someone else will play one lol
- I have never played a Favored Soul, or a Warlock. I've heard some bad things about them though :/
- Mystic Theurge for maximum spellcasting-ness?
- Spectral Hand silliness
- Stormlord Cleric (Water+Air and/or Weather domains)
- UMD fake-it-till-you-make-it
- spell-caster + Rogue > Shadowdancer alchemist? Shadowjump over to the enemy ship, plant a bomb, and Shadowjump away
- Water+Death/Darkness Cleric focusing on spells that will drag enemies to the deep. The spell "Black Tentacles" is perfect...but for Wizards.

And now is where you come in: I need some help narrowing it down, and/or coming up with something better for my first-mate pirate Gripli. Any suggestions or tips are welcome, and if you have a link to where I can read about this super-awesome class idea of yours, well then you've just earned a friend haha :)

Thanks in advance your help, and for taking the time to read my overly long post.