PDA

View Full Version : Genie-Blooded Sorcerer homebrew

FartHeartMaGart
2016-03-01, 11:08 PM
Im back at the genie theme for a DIFFERENT class now. The idea is that you are one of the rare descendants, or even children, of a genie. I based this class off the Dragon bloodline, I think it needs a little more flavor but its currently balanced pretty well. I think that the elemental spell type thing could be more elegant however.

Genie Ancestry

Choose one type of genie as your ancestor. The spell types associated with this genie will be used by other class features later.

Genie Type
Damage resistance, elemental spell type*

Dao
Blunt, stone and sand themed

Djinni
Lightning, lightning and wind themed

Efreeti
Fire, fire and metal themed

Merid
Cold, water and ice themed

You can speak, read, and write primordial. Additionally, whenever you make a Charisma check when interacting with genies, your proficiency bonus is doubled if it applies to the check.

Genie Resilience.
Your cultured heritage bring an innate understanding of combat. At 1st level, you gain proficiency with light armor, scimitars, and may use scimitars as an arcane focus, and your max hp increases by 1, and again whenever you take a level in this class.

Elemental Affinity
Starting at 6th level, whenever you cast a spell that fit the elemental spell type* of your genie, you add your Charisma modifier to that damage. At the same time, you can spend 1 sorcery point to get resistance to that type of damage for 1 hour.

Genie Trail
At 14th level, you gain the ability to transform your legs into a wispy trail of smoke, cloud, incense, dust, or any other genie flavored phenomena. You can create this trail as a bonus action. These last until you dismiss them as a bonus action on your turn.
You do not gain the magical effects of any items worn below the belt when you use this feature.

Genie Wishing
Beginning at 18th level, add Wish to your spell list. This doesn't count against your spells known, and the Wish has 3 guaranteed charges of the spell to use an alternate effect (not spell replication) without fail. Once you have used these 3 charges, you can only use the spell replication ability of this spell.

*elemental spell type as in, if you are a dao descended genie sorcerer, you add your Charisma modifier to things like Erupting Earth

Iguanodon
2016-03-01, 11:20 PM
How about this for the elemental damage:

Dao: Thunder, Force
Djinni: Lighting
Efreeti: Fire
Merid: Ice

It's not perfect, but at least it's more clear-cut. For genies, some other sort of bonus might fit better here, maybe letting you recover spell slots when you cast spells of the chosen type? I'm not sure how that would work; maybe you could tie it to schools of magic:

Dao: Abjuration
Djinni: Evocation (evocation = speech = breath = wind)
Efreeti: Conjuration
Merid: Enchantment?

DiceDiceBaby
2016-03-02, 12:42 AM
This has already been done officially for a Race in the Elemental Evil Player's Companion (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/EE_PlayersCompanion.pdf), in the form of a race of half-Genie elemental humanoids called the Genasi. A lot of the traits you mentioned for yours (up to speaking Primordial) are very similar, if not spot on to the official one. :smallsmile:

Though I do like your homebrew idea that they automatically get "Wish" at 18. Leads to a lot of potential shenanigans. :smallbiggrin:

An Air Genasi sorcerer with Genie Magic from say, a Genie from a different element (say, Marid or Efreet as a descendant) would be interesting under this homebrew idea of yours.

Iguanodon
2016-03-02, 12:34 PM
This has already been done officially for a Race in the Elemental Evil Player's Companion (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/EE_PlayersCompanion.pdf), in the form of a race of half-Genie elemental humanoids called the Genasi. A lot of the traits you mentioned for yours (up to speaking Primordial) are very similar, if not spot on to the official one.

This isn't a good argument for the redundancy of a genie/elemental sorcerer. We already have a dragon-blooded sorcerer and a dragon-blooded race, why not an elemental-blooded sorcerer to go along with the elemental-blooded race?

If anything, we need a random wild magic race, too, to go along with the wild magic sorcerer. :smallsmile:

DiceDiceBaby
2016-03-02, 08:34 PM
This isn't a good argument for the redundancy of a genie/elemental sorcerer. We already have a dragon-blooded sorcerer and a dragon-blooded race, why not an elemental-blooded sorcerer to go along with the elemental-blooded race?

If anything, we need a random wild magic race, too, to go along with the wild magic sorcerer. :smallsmile:

Fair enough point! Still, I was not sure the OP knew about the Genasi, so I was really just showing how closely related the two concepts are. Plus, not every DM will allow Genasi anyway, since they are not in the PHB, but rather a supplement. We can still have Genie-blood Sorcerers; in fact, I like the idea. :smallsmile:

Millstone85
2016-03-03, 07:22 PM
Yeah, genie ancestry in a genasi wouldn't be any more shocking than a dragonborn having a draconic bloodline or an aasimar being a favored soul. It would in fact make sense for these races to produce more of such sorcerers than other races do.

If anything, we need a random wild magic race, too, to go along with the wild magic sorcerer. :smallsmile:The difficulty here is that the PHB gives at least three possible origins for this kind of magic: the Elemental Planes, Limbo and the Far Realm.
For the Elemental Planes, it could again be the genasi. For Limbo, the githzerai live there, though I suppose a wild magic sorcerer would be an outcast of the race, not a paragon of it. For the Far Realm, there was the foulborn or the daelkyr half-bloods.

FartHeartMaGart
2016-03-03, 08:16 PM
I have the idea for a 6th level ability to make it different from the dragon more

Use 2 sorcery points to cast Elemental Weapon, and unlocking more powerful versions later, combine that with scimitar, shield, and light armor proficiency at 1st level and dip into fighter 2 levels, and you are now a gish

FartHeartMaGart
2016-03-03, 08:17 PM
I have the idea for a 6th level ability to make it different from the dragon more

Use 2 sorcery points to cast Elemental Weapon, and unlocking more powerful versions later, combine that with scimitar, shield, and light armor proficiency at 1st level and dip into fighter 2 levels, and you are now a gish

Forgot to mention, can still burn a point to get resistance to your element