PDA

View Full Version : 18, 18, 18 and 3, 3, 3 stat spread! What would you do?

DiceDiceBaby
2016-03-02, 06:29 AM
So there's been a thread for the "What if..." scenario of getting six 18's as your starting ability scores using the "4d6 remove 1d6 lowest result" method.

And there's been a thread for the "What if..." scenario of getting six 3's as your starting ability scores using the "4d6 remove 1d6 lowest result" method.

And while everyone's probably built someone using the 15, 15, 15, 8, 8, 8, method, even 8 is a decent stat.

So let's go into extremes! Say you manage to roll up 18, 18, 18, 3, 3, 3, as your ability score stat spread. How would your character look like?

Would he or she be a brilliant, persuasive, wise wizard who can't so much as lift a spellbook with both hands, has horribly repulsive breath, and is likely a paraplegic?

Would he or she be the ultimate in Rogue trickery, guile and skill, but so unintelligent that he or she could not form coherent sentences, cannot carry a heavy load of treasure, and has heavy asthma?

How would you roleplay such a character? How would you interpret such extreme stats?

TL;DR - Make a character with 18, 18, 18, 3, 3, 3 as stats, and tell us how you'd play it!

Giant2005
2016-03-02, 06:34 AM
I'd definitely make sure Int and Wis were both 18 regardless of what I played. Having 3s in those scores just isn't playable. My other 18 would probably be Con.
With that in mind I think I'd go with a Wizard due to their lack of reliance on equipment (I wouldn't be strong enough to carry much of anything). Whatever that new Monk is called (the one that shoots ki blasts) would work okay too.

djreynolds
2016-03-02, 06:39 AM
I'd definitely make sure Int and Wis were both 18 regardless of what I played. Having 3s in those scores just isn't playable. My other 18 would probably be Con.
With that in mind I think I'd go with a Wizard due to their lack of reliance on equipment (I wouldn't be strong enough to carry much of anything). Whatever that new Monk is called (the one that shoots ki blasts) would work okay too.

I'd reroll. Or you would be forced to have the 3's in all physical skills or mental ones. You are a paralyzed wizard, you know out in the woods cutting down trees and no one yells TIMBER!!! Or that same tree hit you in the head.

Either a plausible accident, or a violent attack, or curse.

Lines
2016-03-02, 06:47 AM
Int's pretty much useless this edition - unless you're a wizard, EK or AT it basically does nothing for you, so getting rid of intelligence is pretty much (heh) a no brainer, being able to carry 45 pounds isn't that restrictive and it has no other use if it's not a class stat for you so dumping strength seems pretty obvious too. Every class will want constitution to be one of those 18s, 18 vs 3 is an extra 8hp per level amongst other things, not really a choice and I'm not going to be wearing heavy armour plus it gives initiative and other useful things, so 18 dexterity too.

Which basically leaves deciding between wisdom and charisma, so just pick the class you want. If you take charisma you'll make a great dex paladin or gish and have the option of just being a pretty good sorcerer or warlock, while high wisdom will make you an amazing monk or death cleric.

Alternately just take strength, dexterity and constitution and make a barbarian that is pretty much immune to being hurt, but super easily mind controlled.

Talamare
2016-03-02, 06:48 AM
Sounds like very good stats for a Barbarian

Talamare
2016-03-02, 06:50 AM
Int's pretty much useless this edition - unless you're a wizard, EK or AT it basically does nothing for you, so that's an easy decision to dump and strength is also pretty dumpable, being able to carry 45 pounds as a limit isn't great but it's also not horrible. Every class will want constitution to be one of those 18s, 18 vs 3 is an extra 8hp per level amongst other things, not really a choice and I'm not going to be wearing heavy armour plus it gives initiative and other useful things, so 18 dexterity too.

Which basically leaves deciding between wisdom and charisma, so just pick the class you want. If you take charisma you'll make a great dex paladin or gish and have the option of just being a pretty good sorcerer or warlock, while high wisdom will make you an amazing monk or death cleric.

18str/con/cha sounds like a very strong Paladin

Who cares about Initiative, just accept you're going to last
When you reach level 6, your bad saves are back to 0 as well

Lines
2016-03-02, 06:54 AM
18str/con/cha sounds like a very strong Paladin

Who cares about Initiative, just accept you're going to last
When you reach level 6, your bad saves are back to 0 as well

I'd have assumed dex/con/cha would work better, dex is a lot more common as a save than strength is but the difference in damage taken isn't going to be huge, while strength will give you more damage what with being able to grab polearm master. So in retrospect I guess it depends on race and oath, if you're going oathbreaker you're going to want as many hits as possible for that +cha to damage.

Who cares about initiative wise, initiative is actually really important - always going first vs always going last is basically a free extra turn every combat. Though it wouldn't be always, it's -4 compared to +4 so it's what, half a free turn? That's how I'd think of it, I'd assume the initiative part of the +15 dex is approximately half the value of the thief's reflexes ability.

choryukami
2016-03-02, 06:56 AM
Sounds like very good stats for a Barbarian

Krug the Invincible.
18 Str
18 Dex
18 Con
3 Int
3 Wis
3 Cha

You have the worst decision making skills and nobody even understands when you're saying. You look like a joke, but then you throw a dude through a wall and everybody gets quiet. Prepare to have a hilarious time. Just don't forget to roleplay.

Either that or put a 3 in Dex and an 18 in Charisma and be incredibly intimidating.

Lines
2016-03-02, 06:58 AM
Krug the Invincible.
18 Str
18 Dex
18 Con
3 Int
3 Wis
3 Cha

You have the worst decision making skills and nobody even understands when you're saying. You look like a joke, but then you throw a dude through a wall and everybody gets quiet. Prepare to have a hilarious time. Just don't forget to roleplay.

Either that or put a 3 in Dex and an 18 in Charisma and be incredibly intimidating.

You're gonna needa grab heavy armour proficiency very quickly, your AC with no armour or scale mail will be 10, 12 with a shield.

Deadandamnation
2016-03-02, 07:08 AM
Cha, Int and Wis to 3.

Str, Con and Dex to 18.

I'll be a barbarian that can't speak nor hear, I wouldn't understand what really happen around so my only instinct is to smash things.

Worst than an animal that at least have usually a good wisdom, I don't...I don't know what I am and what life means, I'll just survive the best that I can...alone probably because of my low Cha.

I'll choose a monstrous race that have some sort of natural weapons, because I don't know how to use weapons.

Lines
2016-03-02, 07:16 AM
Cha, Int and Wis to 3.

Str, Con and Dex to 18.

I'll be a barbarian that can't speak nor hear, I wouldn't understand what really happen around so my only instinct is to smash things.

Worst than an animal that at least have usually a good wisdom, I don't...I don't know what I am and what life means, I'll just survive the best that I can...alone probably because of my low Cha.

I'll choose a monstrous race that have some sort of natural weapons, because I don't know how to use weapons.

Yeah you do, class proficiency. If a zombie can use weapons, why can't you? (also int makes no sense in 5e, a big ape has the same intelligence as an orc, yet one can learn to speak and write and craft and wield weapons while the other cannot)

Giant2005
2016-03-02, 07:21 AM
If a zombie can use weapons, why can't you?

A zombie would be smarter than the proposed character. They have the same intelligence but a zombie has double the wisdom.

WickerNipple
2016-03-02, 07:25 AM
Hodor.

/Hodor.

Steampunkette
2016-03-02, 07:28 AM
Warlock.

Sold her soul for power because she was debilitated at a young age by illness or accident.

Dimcair
2016-03-02, 07:33 AM
Barbarian sounds good.

Whats the race that grants advantage on saving throws vs. enchantment? Would give you at least a chance to beat those mind control DCs.

Lines
2016-03-02, 07:45 AM
A zombie would be smarter than the proposed character. They have the same intelligence but a zombie has double the wisdom.

Again, look at how 5e treats mental stats - can't guarantee anything is smarter than anything else. It's why the first thing I said was dump intelligence, as long as you have someone else grab the knowledge skills there is basically no downside to having 3 int. It doesn't affect your ability to speak or build a house or whatever or otherwise there wouldn't be animals with higher scores than creatures that can speak and wield axes and such.

RickAllison
2016-03-02, 08:04 AM
Barbarian sounds good.

Whats the race that grants advantage on saving throws vs. enchantment? Would give you at least a chance to beat those mind control DCs.

Gnomes! Gnomes everywhere!

Freemason Than
2016-03-02, 08:11 AM
I'd probably reroll.
If I had to pick something, Eldritch Knight would be my choice (18/3/18/18/3/3) - strong, tough and brilliant, but clumsy, easily-distracted, not a shred of common sense and with an infamous in-universe reputation of being a master of disaster (so people feel disinclined to stand close or even speak to him).

Dumping both mental stats seems great on paper, but in my experience, the "party idiot" gimmick grows old really quickly.

Lines
2016-03-02, 08:19 AM
Alternatively, take the 18s in every mental stat and try to convince the DM to let you play a vampire. 18 in every stat!

I'd probably reroll.
If I had to pick something, Eldritch Knight would be my choice (18/3/18/18/3/3) - strong, tough and brilliant, but clumsy, easily-distracted, not a shred of common sense and with an infamous in-universe reputation of being a master of disaster (so people feel disinclined to stand close or even speak to him).

Dumping both mental stats seems great on paper, but in my experience, the "party idiot" gimmick grows old really quickly.

So just act like a normal person. Nothing in the rules says you have to act like the party idiot.

Joe the Rat
2016-03-02, 08:25 AM
There are folks that would tell you this is the perfect Druid. Spend as much time as you can wildshaped.

Hodor.

/Hodor.so 18's in Strength, Con, and Audience Appeal?

Dimcair
2016-03-02, 08:28 AM
Gnomes! Gnomes everywhere!

A mad, absolutely reckless and socially awkward mind, packed in a tiny body that is bursting of strength, speed, almost impossible to kill. Wielding a rolling pin. Using wanted posters for general racketeering of himself as clothes. Using rats as thrown weapons.

Behold: Potel "Bouncy Ball" III

Theodoxus
2016-03-02, 08:30 AM
I can't believe no one's said druid yet. Isn't that the defacto - who cares what you rolled, you're a man/bear/pig/wolf/eagle/earth elemental Harry?

18's in the mentals, 3's in the physicals. Struggle through 1st level, and then bear form forever after. Pick a friendly Hunter Ranger to pal around with, he gets the best of both archetypes, you get to not die. Win/win

joaber
2016-03-02, 08:40 AM
I can't believe no one's said druid yet. Isn't that the defacto - who cares what you rolled, you're a man/bear/pig/wolf/eagle/earth elemental Harry?

18's in the mentals, 3's in the physicals. Struggle through 1st level, and then bear form forever after. Pick a friendly Hunter Ranger to pal around with, he gets the best of both archetypes, you get to not die. Win/win

well, in fact you'll need to put one 18 in Con to survive to the first round, since your initiative sucks. And having a -4 mod in 1d8 hit dice is basically one shot to kill.

Raxxius
2016-03-02, 08:41 AM
Chronically sick wheelchair bound necromancer looking to shed his broken mortal coil.

Alerad
2016-03-02, 08:46 AM
Human Wizard, Str, Dex, Cha 4, Con, Int, Wis 19
Mr. Greenwood is irascible, barely able to carry his own walking stick and with shaking hands, prone to drop or break anything he's holding. Except for the magical components, which he handles with a sure grip. His seemingly weak body, which is literally just skin and tendons, is actually extremely hardy. It should be, living for 97 years is quite the achievement by the human standards.

Variant Human Wild Sorceror, Str, Con, Wis 3, Int 18, Dex, Cha 19, Ritual Caster feat
Remember kids, using magic is bad for your health! No matter how powerful you might feel, you'll be coughing blood and be dead in less than 6 months!
You start with 2 hp at level one. Leveling up can be potentially disastrous since you get -3 ~ +2 hit points (-0.5 average). How long can you keep this up?
Always roll for hitpoints every level to keep things interesting. At level 4 (if you survive) you might be forced to take +1 to your Con just to barely stay alive.
Needless to say, stay out of trouble!

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-02, 08:57 AM
Maybe a moon druid with 18s in con/int/wis. Strength and Dex don't matter when you're a bear, and everyone knows druids are antisocial sons-of-liches anyway.

tieren
2016-03-02, 09:08 AM
Chronically sick wheelchair bound necromancer looking to shed his broken mortal coil.

Thats what I was picturing, some kind of Stephen Hawking, virtually physically useless but with a world altering mind. (or perhaps Davros from Dr. Who).

The physical version with the near useless mind I don't think would be party friendly at all, unless you made him a thrall of another player (ala Master Blaster from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome).

Giant2005
2016-03-02, 09:09 AM
Is Vampire an acceptable race? Those 3s in Str, Dex and Con won't be a big deal once you Vamp out and have them increased to 18.

Oramac
2016-03-02, 09:11 AM

I was thinking this same thing. You'd basically be playing the D&D version of Professor X (Charles Xavier). You could even fluff up a wheelchair for yourself.

Lines
2016-03-02, 09:15 AM
Is Vampire an acceptable race? Those 3s in Str, Dex and Con won't be a big deal once you Vamp out and have them increased to 18.

Not sure, but it turns out shadow monk is an acceptable class for me =D

eastmabl
2016-03-02, 09:35 AM
"Hello. My name is Dr. Xavier. Would you like to come to my school?"

Serket
2016-03-02, 09:49 AM
Wood elf ranger, possibly later MC to rogue. Dex, Con, Wis 18 -> dex 20 wis 19.

Doesn't read or write, doesn't know about anything outside her personal experience, and is very very quiet. But can put an arrow right through your eye and into your brain. Also makes most of her own tools out of animal parts. Doesn't need prestidigitation to light fires, because she's got some flammable fungus, iron pyrite, and a bit of granite.
Easily pleased by simple magic. Easily confused by illusions. Isn't entirely cognisant of her own spellcasting being spellcasting.

I'd probably get bored after a dozen sessions.

PeteNutButter
2016-03-02, 10:01 AM
Really this is fantastic. No class needs more than 3 stats, and having those start at 18 far outweighs any of the downsides. Since the -saves is the biggest hit with the 3s, I'd try for a class that uses wisdom or you'll end up locked out a lot. Since pretty much everyone needs con, that leaves one wiggle stat. Dex for monks (flurry is nasty starting w a 20 dex) and rangers. Maybe str for clerics, and druids can do whatever.

For funsies though? A mad(as in crazy) bladesinger with 18s in dex, con, and int. AC 22 at lvl two when singing with mage armor. And yes you have mage armor, because you can't lift normal armor. Get excited when you get hit w a wisdom save, and turn on the party! Can they hit you, before you TPK your own team? Find out next week...

Naanomi
2016-03-02, 10:19 AM
Hilldwarf Barbarian? 21 AC at level 1; and neck deep in HP; Wis only 4...

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-02, 03:17 PM
A sorcerer/fighter/rogue with a focus on enchantment spells. 18 cha, dex and con. Or instead of con int

Or something totally mad needing 3 13+ stats

Idkwhatmyscreen
2016-03-02, 04:09 PM
Flying Feral Tiefling Rouge

Str:3
Dex: 18 + 2
Con: 3
Int: 3 +1
Wis: 18
Cha:18

This may not be obvious, but I think that this may be the best RP opportunity you will ever have I would like to introduce to you Voren, the worlds most freakishly large imp!* Standing at an Unbelievable 3'11", Voren enjoys picking locks, temping mortals, and flying away when combat starts.

Possible sub-classes include "Thief, Swashbuckler, and being the wizards familiar"

*Horns, Spiked Tail, and Sharp Teeth Included.

Dimolyth
2016-03-02, 04:23 PM

I would generate someone strictly against stereotypes.

Let`s see... 3 on Constitution will mean -5 on hp each level. Though, if we take a hill dwarf - that would become -2 per level. Which is still awful, so that is strictly no-mellee build. Lore Bard could be interesting (cutting words reduce damage dealt to you) for a lot of proficiencies AND jack all trades. Place second "3" on Wisdom, add +1 racial (I`ve got -3 modifier total). Get expertise in insight (now I`m roleplaying an autist who tries to understand his surroundings). To be even more fragile - I`d place the last 3 on Dex, though this will net to start as Paladin (or Fighter) - just for heavy armor proficiency... And first ASI will be wasted on Resilent(Con) - to get Con score 6 (average saves,

So, we have stats STR 18, DEX 3, CON 5, INT 18, WIS 4, CHA 18 and class Paladin2/BardX.
He is obese hill dwarf, with discoordination, fragile bones and autist outlook, trying to persive his born injures by the force of his personality, genious working mind (second expertise on investigation).
In the combat he stays behind to cast buffes to his friends and debuffes to his enemies (and really tries do not do that otherwise, because of, you know, -2 on wis checks).
He is pretty dangerous with his weapon (club would fit thematically) if someone tries to engage him in mellee (he does not hesitate to burn high level slots for smite. The sooner adjacent enemy dies, the more chances to survive with 5 Con).
Nevertheless, I`d give him rather pacifist outlook (prefering non-damaging spells, hiting with the weapon only when engaged in mellee, being slow at the start of any battle (-2 on initiative).

BootStrapTommy
2016-03-02, 04:26 PM
So there's been a thread for the "What if..." scenario of getting six 18's as your starting ability scores using the "4d6 remove 1d6 lowest result" method. For the record, it was actually the 3d6 method.

TL;DR - Make a character with 18, 18, 18, 3, 3, 3 as stats, and tell us how you'd play it!A mentally inadequate Barbarian, most likely.

ShikomeKidoMi
2016-03-02, 06:19 PM
Str 3 Dex 18 Con 18 Int 18 Wis 3 Cha 3

Gnome Necromancer who always tries to be friendly but just comes off as creepy and off-putting instead and can't tell because of the combined lack of Charisma and Wisdom.

Take Alertness as a feat, so the failed Perception checks matter less.

"You have excellent bone structure. I bet your skeleton would make a superior minion. What? Where are you going? It was a compliment!"

Tanarii
2016-03-02, 08:02 PM
Depends on if you try to "RP" low or high scores, or they only matter for mechanical resolution.

If the latter, you can safely put a 3 in any score, as long as it's mechanical resolution is taken into account. For example, an Int 3 just means -4 on Int ability score checks. It doesn't mean you drool, or can't speak, or even can't think. It just means you're 20% less effective as memory & deduction related ability score checks than the average 'norm', and you can't succeed at DC 20 tasks.

Personally I'd go probably go either Str or Dex 18 and the other 3, Con 18, and 1 out of Int/Wis/Cha 18, depending on what skill checks I wanted to make. IMO that leaves viable builds for every class.

DiceDiceBaby
2016-03-02, 09:21 PM
For the record, it was actually the 3d6 method.

Oh, I didn't notice that! Still, the idea that you'd roll three 3's with the 4d6 method probably means you've been jinxed; I can imagine that if this ever happened in real life, the three 18s would come first, and then the happy player would continue rolling, until, to his or her supreme horror... :smallbiggrin:

That said, I'd likely roll a Cleric, if only for the RP, putting the 18s in Wisdom, Constitution, and Charisma.

He'd be a simple, pious man, whom everyone would revere for being wise and friendly (for me, having high WIS and low INT means that you're very either street-smart or emotional-smart, but not very book smart... you can be cunning or sensitive, but not intelligent, you can still speak and understand languages, but you won't use polysylabic words or have a great vocabulary either), but at the same time is frail from his constant meditation and fasting rituals that practically stave him to near death (3 STR), he is clumsy and awkward-footed beyond belief (3 DEX), and hence careful when he moves, and relies on his faith rather than facts to make decisions (3 INT).

Of course, if low INT means he can't speak, then I'm making him the DnD equivalent of a Zen Cleric who literally doesn't speak in a comprehensible manner, but knows the mystical truth behind all things. EDIT: Perhaps throw in the Hermit background to make him Discover an unfathomable, world-changing truth that rendered him unable to speak, eat, or even live properly afterwards. Basically the opposite of a Warlock or Necromancer who wants to have their difficult conditions "cured".

thebiglost1
2016-03-02, 10:16 PM
Devotion Paladin with 18s in STR/CON/CHA.
Edit: I would totally play this character

mgshamster
2016-03-02, 10:19 PM
Edit: I would totally pay this character

Shiny armor. Strong and proud stance. Dashing smile. Blank stare.

Talamare
2016-03-02, 10:36 PM
Shiny armor. Strong and proud stance. Dashing smile. Blank stare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J64If0N_1nc
I tried to find more of Congressman Murray, but YouTube kinda of sucks

mgshamster
2016-03-02, 10:42 PM
I tried to find more of Congressman Murray, but YouTube kinda of sucks

It's an apt comparison, but I've always envisioned that character as someone who smiles at you with a blank non-understanding stare.

(It's also the same description I gave a paladin character back in 2e in the 90s). :)

Eloel
2016-03-02, 10:46 PM
Go Druid.
18 Con, 18 Wis, 18 Int, 3 Cha, 3 Str, 3 Dex

Hide behind your Animal Companion for 4 levels, Wild Shape into stuff and eat face starting level 5.

Naanomi
2016-03-03, 12:37 AM
Monk would probably be reasonable, wise but shy and a Taoist type of anti-intellectualism

Mechanically a half-elf CHA caster would be great... 3/19/19/3/3/20 is an impressive spread... A hard with such low int would be hard for me to RP, but a bestial dragon-Sorc or many warlock types (bladelock demonic gladiator? Old one cultist with a completely blown mind? An addled feylock cuckolander with a Sprite familiar who runs the show intellectually?)

Malifice
2016-03-03, 12:48 AM
Edit: I would totally play this character

This. Plate armor, and you'll never notice the cruddy Dex.

Int and Wis of 3 are workable.

Play him as a handsome and charming (yet clumsy, mindless and gullible) dolt. Insist on being party leader for the win.

Im imagining:

http://i.imgur.com/BvNuC4S.jpg

unwise
2016-03-03, 01:15 AM
I would either play:

A Warforged Fighter simply named Golem. He really just a poorly reanimated guy, like Frankenstien's monster but without the brain being properly revived. He can follow basic commands, does not sleep or eat and just stands there for hours or even days without getting bored.
Str, Con, Dex 18
Wis, Cha, Int 3

A Rock Gnome Wizard that is the polar opposite. He was the chosen one, the Harry Potter of the fey magical academy, he had everything going for him, was a physical adonis, genius and the most likable guy alive. Then a simple lab experiment went wrong and his body was mangled, he is only kept alive by an alchemical heart attached to his wasted body. He uses Unseen Servant to carry him around. His goal is just to live long enough for revenge on the person that sabotaged his lab experiment (an agent of a Voldemore style guy). Then he will remove the alchemical heart and die. Physical stats 3, Mental 18.

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-03, 01:33 AM
Go Druid.
18 Con, 18 Wis, 18 Int, 3 Cha, 3 Str, 3 Dex

Hide behind your Animal Companion for 4 levels, Wild Shape into stuff and eat face starting level 5.

This isn't 3.5. You will get (strong) wildshape on level 2 but you won't get an animal companion

Malifice
2016-03-03, 02:26 AM
I would either play:

A Warforged Fighter simply named Golem. He really just a poorly reanimated guy, like Frankenstien's monster but without the brain being properly revived. He can follow basic commands, does not sleep or eat and just stands there for hours or even days without getting bored.
Str, Con, Dex 18
Wis, Cha, Int 3

A Rock Gnome Wizard that is the polar opposite. He was the chosen one, the Harry Potter of the fey magical academy, he had everything going for him, was a physical adonis, genius and the most likable guy alive. Then a simple lab experiment went wrong and his body was mangled, he is only kept alive by an alchemical heart attached to his wasted body. He uses Unseen Servant to carry him around. His goal is just to live long enough for revenge on the person that sabotaged his lab experiment (an agent of a Voldemore style guy). Then he will remove the alchemical heart and die. Physical stats 3, Mental 18.

Even better, play them in the same party. The gnome rides around on the warforgeds back.

Call yourself 'Master-Blaster'.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4118/4930197541_1deb897244_z.jpg

Spacehamster
2016-03-03, 02:56 AM
Stout Halfling Barbarian/Fighter 18/20/19/3/3/3, dual wielder thats so frenzied, stupid and with no common sense whatsoever and
so darn socially inept that he probably does not have any friends except his imaginary friend Bob. :) Would also hope that I
had a paladin with 18 or 20 CHA in the party that helps my abysmal saving throws for INT/WIS/CHA. ^^

Drackolus
2016-03-03, 03:20 AM
I couldn't forgive myself if I didn't go 3/3/3/18/18/18, with half-elf or human being very tempting (one asi from 3/3/3/20/20/20 on half-elf), maybe be a lore bard/life cleric/abjuration wizard or something equally terrible.

That said, 18/18/20/3/4/3 hill dwarf barbarian is incredibly tempting. Pick up a shield and any 1h martial and we're talking 22 ac (24 at 20), adv+shield ac on dex saves and prof in str&con, plenty of time to grab shield master and tough for an eventual 15/lvl + 5 health. Party wipes the first time they're targeted by crown of madness.

That character would have to belong to a paladin or something for some saving throws. Res:wis might help a ton here, and you could afford it. Frenzy would help a bit too, but only if you get to rage before getting hit with a spell. Though, even with 4 wis and wis save prof, that's probably going to be around a +1 to the save. Suggestion: pick a non-versatile 1h weapon. Nobody wants a 20 str barbarian two-handing a battleaxe on you. Dispel magic and counterspell will be musts in this party pretty much no matter what you do. Pretty important for any party though - grab a lore bard or abjuration wizard.

EDIT: while using the normal rules, 3 str and dex wearing ring mail has a base 14 ac and normal speed, 16 with shield. With the weight variant, you ignore the str rating, meaning from 15-50 lbs you are encumbered - which, unfortunately, means you must wear ring mail and use a shield still and then be encumbered anyway. However, going over "heavy" simply means you lose 20 ft and disadvantage on str, dex, and con. The first spread I posted won't succeed on those saves anyway. Grab mobile and live with 20 ft move. Non-heavy armors force you to deal with your -4 ac.

An 18 dex, con, wis monk would have no weak major saves (and prof. in all at 14) and strong stats. Nearly unkillable. Also stupid, weak, and unlikable. But hey, nobody's perfect. Suggestion: way of long death.

EDIT 2: Barkskin suddenly useful?

Tanarii
2016-03-03, 11:29 AM
EDIT: while using the normal rules, 3 str and dex wearing ring mail has a base 14 ac and normal speed, 16 with shield. With the weight variant, you ignore the str rating, meaning from 15-50 lbs you are encumbered - which, unfortunately, means you must wear ring mail and use a shield still and then be encumbered anyway. However, going over "heavy" simply means you lose 20 ft and disadvantage on str, dex, and con. The first spread I posted won't succeed on those saves anyway. Grab mobile and live with 20 ft move. Non-heavy armors force you to deal with your -4 ac. With Str 3, your carrying capacity is 45 total. That's not a variant rule. The variant rule is just for slowing you down at weights less than the max carrying capacity, instead of for insufficient str with Heavy Armor. But the carrying capacity cap of Str*15 for all gear combined always applies. Also, you've got the variant rule wrong, it's anything over Str*10 (ie 30 lbs) that slows you down by 20ft and gives you disadvantage on Str/Dex/Con attacks, checks and saves.

So you can't actually wear Ringmail and Shield with Str 3 at all, it's against the standard rules. And if you use just Ringmail, you've got 5lbs of extra weight you can carry for everything else (including clothes). And are heavily encumbered (-20ft, disadvantage Str/Dex/Con attacks, checks and saves) under the variant rules, or no special effect under the standard rules.

joaber
2016-03-03, 11:50 AM
I only can imagine play with Con 18 and Int 18, the third I would go for Wis 18 too.

play with Int 3 isn't playing, you have the same Int of a zombie, so you only the guy that roll the dice, other party members play for you.

Best build I can see with those is moon druid, but could be a Goliath (5 str, carry 150 lbs) cleric with heavy armor, shield and shillelagh, grab mobile ASAP.
Or same build cleric 1/ wizard x, you finally could use shillelagh as a wizard and be good with it.

A rickety wizard Goliah would be really fun to play: "you bully me in the school because I'm weak? Swallow this Meteor Swarm now!" - I think that explain the Cha 3

Mr.Moron
2016-03-03, 12:25 PM
STR: 18
DEX; 3
CON: 3
INT: 18
WIS: 3
CHA: 18

No Idea what class. However I'm clearly a muscle-bound lifter (STR 18), that knows that cardio is garbage (CON 3)/ He's clumsy and slow (DEX 3 - always skips leg day). He's intelligent, kind earnest (INT, CHA) but gullible, forgetful, can't really think long-term (WIS 3).

I'm thinking maybe Ancients Paladin maybe Eldritch Knight, Sorcerer in a pinch.

Tanarii
2016-03-03, 12:38 PM
Dex 3 Int 3 Wis 3. Someone who took a sword to the head at some point, and took some brain damage. You're 20% (-4 on checks) below the human norm for agility, reflexes, balance, mental acuity, accuracy of recall, ability to reason, perceptiveness and intuition. Fairly out of it and clumsy, but nothing that you can't overcome to become a hero!

mgshamster
2016-03-03, 01:13 PM
Back in high school, I had a player pick high physical stats and low mental stats close to this extreme.

Then he'd put on his headphones, ignore the game, and do homework. Eventually someone would get his attention for the game, he'd say "I attack" and roll a d20 and his damage dice, and then go back to his homework.

Worked out really well. He got his stuff done and still had a character. The low mental stats were reflected in his lack of attention to the game, and the only time he'd be involved in the game was to attack.

And sometimes, when we needed his attention and he just attacked, it made for some interesting situations - like accidentally attacking the merchant or a king's guard.

N810
2016-03-03, 03:20 PM
Half-Ork Barbarian
st 18+2 / con 18+1 / dex 18
Unarmored defense & tough. = crazy AC & HP lvl 1 and
Maybe specialize in improvised weapon and brawler and grappling.

Hulk Smash !!! :redcloak:

RickAllison
2016-03-03, 04:52 PM
For funsies, Monk 2/Rogue 1/Bladesinger 2 with 18s in Dex, Wis, and Int. Vhuman, taking Observant, Tough, Mobile, and two ASIs (not in that order!). The PC is incredibly intelligent, wise, and agile, but realizes how frail he is. To solve that, he trains himself to perceive threats before they become such (Observant, Expertise (Perception), etc.) and then run away! With eventual base movement of 60 ft+ and triple Dashing, together with 25 AC before Shield, he would be very interesting to play :smallbiggrin:

Temperjoke
2016-03-03, 05:47 PM
18 Int, 18 Wis, 18 Cha, 3 Dex, 3 Con, 3 Str, in a human wizard and you have Raistlin Majere, but reverse it, and you have Caramon Majere.

Dimolyth
2016-03-03, 06:11 PM
STR: 18
DEX; 3
CON: 3
INT: 18
WIS: 3
CHA: 18

No Idea what class. However I'm clearly a muscle-bound lifter (STR 18), that knows that cardio is garbage (CON 3)/ He's clumsy and slow (DEX 3 - always skips leg day). He's intelligent, kind earnest (INT, CHA) but gullible, forgetful, can't really think long-term (WIS 3).

I'm thinking maybe Ancients Paladin maybe Eldritch Knight, Sorcerer in a pinch.

I did proposed the same arrange for hill dwarf lore bard.

Tanarii
2016-03-03, 06:39 PM
18 Int, 18 Wis, 18 Cha, 3 Dex, 3 Con, 3 Str, in a human wizard and you have Raistlin Majere, but reverse it, and you have Caramon Majere.

Raistlin was high Dex/Int/Wis. Caramon was high Str/Con/Cha. (Going by DL1 Module stats)

Arkhios
2016-03-04, 12:33 AM
str 3, dex 19, con 18, int 3, wis 19, cha 3

V.Human Monk w/Magic initiate - Druid (Shillelagh, Thunderclap, Thunderwave), AC 18, 20 @4th level. MC with Tempest Cleric somewhere after 5th level.

No need for other equipment than Quarterstaff and component pouch.
No bad saves, and if went up to 6 levels in cleric, would eventually be proficient with all saves, which is nice. However, there's no real need for it.
Actually, I think that would be very interesting to play with.

Catinmychair
2016-03-05, 01:37 PM
I kind of want to go for fighter, due to all the ASIs they get, but on the other hand, as a fighter, I'd be focusing on physical stats, and I don't want to go around drooling and almost unable to interact socially with anything for the first half of the game.

I think I'd go for Half-elf, and look something like this:

19 STR, 19 CON, 18 DEX, 5 CHA, 3 INT, 3 WIS.

I'd be a powerhouse in all respects on the battlefield, but I couldn't tell the sky apart from the ground (or my allies from my enemies, in some cases), and I'd almost know what I'm doing in a social encounter.

Over time, I'd grow charismatic enough to not instantly alienate anyone I meet, intelligent enough to put clothes on by myself, and also probably maximize the stats that are actually good.

Tanarii
2016-03-05, 02:00 PM
The persistent interpretations from players that a 3 stat, which a mere -4 to checks, means drooling or unable to tell sky from ground, or otherwise unable to function is funny (because hyperbole), but also kind of weird.

If you had a 3 Str, would you RP that as unable to tear your way out of a plastic bag? You can wear Ringmail Heavy Armor with that Str as long as the rest of your gear is less than 5 lbs.

The only one I'd actually play out as that horribly weak is Con 3, at least until I had 8 hit points. Because -4 HP per level means 1-2 HPs per level (you'd roll for as opposed to take the average). Even then it's only 20% less likely to succeed at checks than an average human. That's bad but not subhuman.

Aasimar
2016-03-05, 04:04 PM
Int's pretty much useless this edition - unless you're a wizard, EK or AT it basically does nothing for you, so getting rid of intelligence is pretty much (heh) a no brainer

If I were a GM, I'd take exception to a character with 3 int using more than the simplest verbal expressions, understanding more than the most obvious logical connections. (fire hot!) or basically having more than slightly above animalistic understanding of the world.

Int 3 is like someone very very far gone into alzheimers, I can't envision them being able to survive without near constant caretaking, except maybe in the simplest of circumstances.

I think even the movie Idiocracy had mostly characters with int between 4-5, especially smart people in that world (the doctor, the president) might even qualify as 6-7.

Basically, int 3 is like a smart dog maybe.

Ronnocius
2016-03-05, 04:14 PM
My brother once rolled three 18s, a 6, an 11, and a 14. He was a human barbarian who had 6 Intelligence, 20 Strength for level 1 (using Athlete feat, ability score improvement, and an 18, 18 Wisdom, 19 Constitution, 15 Dexterity, and 11 Charisma.

Final Hyena
2016-03-05, 07:31 PM
Given that having 3 con would be horrible that needs an 18. after that you could go caster-y with a main mental stat and dex for ac. Alternatively you could focus your phsyical stats and be the most unpleasant barbarian there is. Going Monk is also very viable, but I would go with a strength based fighter.
18, 3, 18, 18, 3, 3
The match up of stats just felt right, the low dex can be explained away with an illness/defect making him slow. And given that only one of his mental stats is maxed it has to be int, because having a high int he shows of his smarts with no self control which is why everyone hates him.

he would be a hulking beast towering over all, equipped with his armour atop his clothes which are plainly visible to have not been washed in a very long time. His facial features are more like that of a goblin and Orc offspring than any normal man, a crooked nose sits in-between oversized eyes which fail to distract from his 'smile.' Looking into his jaw you are not sure which is worse the gaps revealing his black gums or the cracked teeth that would be more at home a shark or other foul terror.

Lines
2016-03-05, 08:13 PM
My brother once rolled three 18s, a 6, an 11, and a 14. He was a human barbarian who had 6 Intelligence, 20 Strength for level 1 (using Athlete feat, ability score improvement, and an 18, 18 Wisdom, 19 Constitution, 15 Dexterity, and 11 Charisma.

Anyone here good enough with probability to work out the chances of rolling 3 18s vs the probability of fudging the dice?

Tanarii
2016-03-05, 08:57 PM
Anyone here good enough with probability to work out the chances of rolling 3 18s vs the probability of fudging the dice?
Less than 0.01% (100th of a percent).

For comparison, your chance of getting one 18 is ... 9%?!? ...
Uh, I think I may have done the math wrong :)

Possibly it's as high as 9% to get one 18 or higher. It's 1.64% for one roll, and you're doing it 6 times and taking one. I think that's just straight binomial theorem calculation, which is 9%.

Conversely binomial theorem on roll 6, any 3 being 1.62% likely (ie 18s) is .008%.

MaxWilson
2016-03-05, 09:53 PM

What's your prior, and what is your estimation of how often people cheat that badly? If you know both those subjective numbers (and only you can say what they are for you) it's straightforward to apply a Bayesian update to your prior and come out with your posterior given the evidence.

If you're asking for the actual frequency with which people cheat that badly, sorry, nobody has that data.

ShikomeKidoMi
2016-03-06, 03:30 AM
If you had a 3 Str, would you RP that as unable to tear your way out of a plastic bag?

Hell, yes, I would. That'd be great.

I'd play that like Mr. Burns, unable to wrestle candy from a literal baby.

Serket
2016-03-06, 06:52 PM

I get 0.0000119 and then some other digits that really don't matter for the three 18's.

I have no idea what the odds of anyone else fudging the dice are, but for me it's zero. :smalltongue:

Although, I met a guy in a Games Workshop once who had a crooked die with all 5's and 6's on it. So, pretty high for him,I should think.

For comparison, your chance of getting one 18 is ... 9%?!? ...
Uh, I think I may have done the math wrong :)

For at least one 18, I get 0.155 (to 3dp). I considered the chance of not getting an 18, raised that to the power 6, then took the converse.

Prophet_of_Io
2016-03-06, 10:38 PM
Wood Elf Monk, Hermit Background

Str 3, Dex 18>20, Con 18, Int 3, Wis 18>19, Cha 3

Horribly malnourished with crippling lack of social skills, yet surprisingly durable. Lived their life separated from all sentient life. They have almost no knowledge of both social norms or common knowledge, but they are very intuitive and swift as all hell.

Would actually be super fun to play.

Tanarii
2016-03-06, 10:44 PM
For at least one 18, I get 0.155 (to 3dp). I considered the chance of not getting an 18, raised that to the power 6, then took the converse.
Yeah that works to confirm it. Except odds of an 18 on 4d6 drop lowest is 0.0162. (1 - (1 - 0.0162)^6) ~= 9.33% for 4d6(drop lowest). So that confirms I was using the binomial function correctly when I got about 9%.

So the odds for 3 18s on (4d6 drop lowest) is ~= .008% using the binomial function and chance of 18 is 0.0162.

Knaight
2016-03-06, 11:32 PM

About half the forum, myself included. The question is, do you want exactly 3 18s or at least 3 18s, and are we using 3d6 or 4d6 drop 1, or some other system?