PDA

View Full Version : 5e Rise Of Tiamat Module

Brymja9711
2016-03-02, 02:03 PM
Hey everyone, I've been looking into buying the Rise of Tiamat Module for 5e and wanted to ask you what you thought of it for anyone who has DMed it or played in it

RulesJD
2016-03-02, 02:12 PM
Hey everyone, I've been looking into buying the Rise of Tiamat Module for 5e and wanted to ask you what you thought of it for anyone who has DMed it or played in it

It is leaps and bounds better than HotDQ. Honestly, for people wanting high level content, I say start around level 7 and pick up at HotDQ chapter 8. Play that, then go right into Rise of Tiamat. It has fantasic dungeon crawls, great RPing elements, tons to do, etc. It's honestly some of the strongest high tier gaming you can get in 5e at the moment.

Sir cryosin
2016-03-02, 02:41 PM
I was a player in it and the end was kind of " really is that the end?" In a disappointing way. But that was just the end and it might of just been how the party acted and the Dm being new to 5e.

Spoiler we never got to fight Tiamat.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-02, 03:18 PM
Spoiler we never got to fight Tiamat.

Adventurer's diary, day 42: no evil dragon goddesses tried to kill me today. I'm worried I might be falling behind the 'recommended XP per day' chart...

Azreal
2016-03-02, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE=Sir cryosin;20491254]Spoiler we never got to fight Tiamat.[/QUOTE"]

From what I understand that's the ideal win. Also isn't Tiamat a CR 30 monster who can't be touched by any spell below 6th level?

RickAllison
2016-03-02, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE=Sir cryosin;20491254]Spoiler we never got to fight Tiamat.[/QUOTE"]

From what I understand that's the ideal win. Also isn't Tiamat a CR 30 monster who can't be touched by any spell below 6th level?

And gets one reaction per turn, immunity to several damage sources and nonmagical weapons, 120 ft truesight, plenty of condition immunities, Divine Word to kill off mook armies attempting to overwhelm her with numbers... I'll stop there, but I could go on. Suffice to say, there is very good reason why my post-post-endgame is TPing into a creature I can boost to CR 30 with Wizard or Bard levels and then TPing into Tiamat herself :smallbiggrin: (You know, subject to the DM permitting monster class levels!)

RulesJD
2016-03-02, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE=Azreal;20491675]

And gets one reaction per turn, immunity to several damage sources and nonmagical weapons, 120 ft truesight, plenty of condition immunities, Divine Word to kill off mook armies attempting to overwhelm her with numbers... I'll stop there, but I could go on. Suffice to say, there is very good reason why my post-post-endgame is TPing into a creature I can boost to CR 30 with Wizard or Bard levels and then TPing into Tiamat herself :smallbiggrin: (You know, subject to the DM permitting monster class levels!)

Okay so as someone who went through all of RoT, including the end fight against her, that isn't accurate.

I don't want to spoiler the adventure, but you are highly unlikely to be facing her when she's at CR30, and you don't face her all at once.

With that said, there is a LOT of hard fighting before you even get to her. You really need players that optimize and know how to play their characters well to stand a chance in that fight. But even if you lose and die, who cares. It's still an amazing module.

RickAllison
2016-03-02, 05:08 PM
Okay so as someone who went through all of RoT, including the end fight against her, that isn't accurate.

I don't want to spoiler the adventure, but you are highly unlikely to be facing her when she's at CR30, and you don't face her all at once.

With that said, there is a LOT of hard fighting before you even get to her. You really need players that optimize and know how to play their characters well to stand a chance in that fight. But even if you lose and die, who cares. It's still an amazing module.

That is all accurate, unless you were able to weaken her beforehand. It is literally from her statblock. Yes, you can weaken her, but it is impossible to assume one is actually able to do so, and discussing her in a weakened state would necessarily be spoilers even more than just discussing her in general. If you talk about her from her CR 30 standpoint, at least those who don't want to be spoiled only get the general gist of "Tiamat is a god".

RulesJD
2016-03-02, 05:26 PM
That is all accurate, unless you were able to weaken her beforehand. It is literally from her statblock. Yes, you can weaken her, but it is impossible to assume one is actually able to do so, and discussing her in a weakened state would necessarily be spoilers even more than just discussing her in general. If you talk about her from her CR 30 standpoint, at least those who don't want to be spoiled only get the general gist of "Tiamat is a god".

If you managed to get to the actual fight, then you've at least knocked a bullet or two for "weakening" her. Read through the encounter after finally finishing and my group didn't do too bad, but we still missed some things. So no, talking about fighting Tiamat in the context of the RoT module, you should not consider the fight to be CR30. You'll very likely still wipe, but still.

RickAllison
2016-03-02, 05:40 PM
If you managed to get to the actual fight, then you've at least knocked a bullet or two for "weakening" her. Read through the encounter after finally finishing and my group didn't do too bad, but we still missed some things. So no, talking about fighting Tiamat in the context of the RoT module, you should not consider the fight to be CR30. You'll very likely still wipe, but still.

The fight might not be CR 30, but Tiamat herself is CR 30. If you would like to calculate the CR for every level of weakness she can take, be my guest, but Tiamat is CR 30 and should be treated as such unless we are actually discussing strategy on how to defeat her. We, however, are not.

Gnomes2169
2016-03-02, 07:19 PM
As a DM who ran this and had players who fought Tiamat, I can very safely say that even at CR 24 (2 stages lower than her base) she will still easily wipe a party of 7 level 15 characters and their adult black shadow dragon cohort (given magical natural attacks for the fight). If I hadn't given the wizard a clicky to let him attack each round, she would have finished nomming on the party barbarian without any real difficulty and then moved on to rule the world!!!!!!!

But seriously, that fight is epic if done right, and if Tiamat busts out of her prison then I highly recommend the "temple collapses around the party slowly" option, as it creates just a massive amount of tension. :smallbiggrin:

Over all, your DM should be willing to change things around and should know how to improvise to best suit the party's personalities/ backstories. It's psuedo-freeform, but does require a good bit of finagling to get right. Overall a good stage for a new DM to work with.