PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Frostkin [PEACH!]

Venardhi
2016-03-02, 02:30 PM
A few of you were really helpful in the earlier stages of putting this together so I was hoping for any last thoughts ya'll had on this near-final draft.

http://i.imgur.com/JhUYNpk.jpg

JNAProductions
2016-03-02, 02:53 PM
Thought number one: Wow that "Preview Draft Not Final" is annoying as hell.

Thought number two: Seems well-balanced. Some stuff is a little specific, but that's okay. You might even consider adding a little extra to them, but honestly, the race seems playable as it stands.

Venardhi
2016-03-02, 08:55 PM
Thought number one: Wow that "Preview Draft Not Final" is annoying as hell.

Thought number two: Seems well-balanced. Some stuff is a little specific, but that's okay. You might even consider adding a little extra to them, but honestly, the race seems playable as it stands.
The watermark is to make sure that this version isn't mistaken by anyone as the final draft once they're both out there.

Odd that you say that. When I posted it to /r/dndnext I got slammed with how OP it was.

JNAProductions
2016-03-02, 09:01 PM
Well, let's go over it bit by bit.

Stats are nice, but nothing unusual.

Speed is bad.

Ice In Your Veins is the same as Halfling's Brave, basically.

Heritage of Frost is just cold (an uncommon damage type) resistance.

Powerful Build is fluff.

The North Remembers, while highly useful, is also rather narrow.

Survivalist is a free skill.

Stellar Navigators is again, mostly fluff.

Compare that to a Halfling:

Equal ASIs. (Debatably better-everyone loves Dex, not everyone loves Str.)

Same speed.

Lucky, which is awesome!

Brave, which is the same.

Halfling Nimbleness, which ain't bad.

And Naturally Stealthy/Stout Resilience.

Comparing the ones that AREN'T fluff, and we get:

Frostkin
Halfling

ASIs
ASIs

Ice In Your Veins
Brave

Heritage of Frost
Naturally Stealthy/Stout Resilience

Survivalist
Flipping LUCKY

The North Remembers
Okay, so you have a little more

So on closer look, maybe take out The North Remembers? But really, doesn't seem OP at all.

Venardhi
2016-03-02, 09:10 PM
The things I'm considering trimming are:

Remove advantage against intimidation. I'm unclear if PCs can actually be intimidated anyways. This would make it 1:1 equivalent to the Halfling feature.

Remove Forest as one of the environments Survivalist doubles proficiency in. Forests likely cover 50%+ of Survival checks in most campaigns so it is probably just a bit too useful. Still makes one of these guys very handy to have in an Arctic environment though.

Give advantage rather than doubled proficiency on The North Remembers, since not every character will be proficient in these skills to begin with.

A lot of people seemed concerned about how long they live also. It has absolutely no mechanical function yet they still want to count it as a +.5 feature. I have no real qualms about backing them down to Dwarf lifespans.

JNAProductions
2016-03-02, 09:15 PM
I look at actual features, not fluff. For instance, powerful build is vastly overrated, being tantamount to fluff.

Trust me-it's got the JNAP seal of approval. (And for some reason, that actually seems to matter here.)

Venardhi
2016-03-02, 09:49 PM
Much appreciated.

Perhaps you could take a look at the other 3 races (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?477273-Need-help-trimming-back-polishing-some-WIP-races) going into my "fluff packet" and let me know how you lean on them.