PDA

View Full Version : Spells that would be Awesome with a shorter Casting Time

Pippin
2016-03-02, 04:01 PM
Greetings!

I'm updating an old thread on minmaxboards (shameless plug (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=10421.0)) that aims to list spells that would be nice/cheesy to cast during combat if only their casting time were reduced to 1 standard (or full-round) action. In other words, spells that are Uncanny Forethought's best friends! For now, here's what the list looks like:

Geas: instantly changes target into an ally.
Ghoul Glyph: instantly paralyses enemy.
Ice Assassin: instantly creates a perfect copy of enemy. (Be a Dweomerkeeper to avoid the cost.)
Major Creation: instantly creates tons of Black Lotus Poison and kills enemy.
Programmed Amnesia: instantly changes target into a slave. (Note that Mindrape is much better but is 3.0 material.)
Spell Engine: instantly swaps your prepared spells for other spells.

Potentially interesting:

Energy Transformation Field: some fancy uses during combat maybe?
Trait Removal: instantly removes one extraordinary or supernatural ability from target.

Feel free to add other spells that I'm not aware of!

Doctor Despair
2016-03-02, 04:31 PM
I remember that people enjoyed standard action Genesis, haha. "And on the first day, the Wizard said: 'Let there be... everything.'"

Edit: I enjoy Halaster's Teleport Cage personally. No save on that one, boys. :) Slap on a Forcecage for extra effect.

Pippin
2016-03-02, 07:20 PM
I enjoy Halaster's Teleport Cage personally. No save on that one, boys. :) Slap on a Forcecage for extra effect.
Halaster's Teleport Cage is nice, but like almost everything it can be dispelled. Antimagic Field is more secure as always, but I'm not sure if we have shenanigans to center it on the enemy, or on a specific location that doesn't depend on the caster.

Also changing the title so that it better reflects what this thread is about.

gorfnab
2016-03-02, 09:33 PM
War Magic spells from Dragon #309 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?306567-War-Spells!-Discussion-and-Application) could be very useful with shorter casting times.