PDA

View Full Version : Need to know if this is a good idea for a build

Nosta
2016-03-03, 12:25 AM
Scout 6 -artificer 6 gestalt
the idea is a girl
who imbues knifes with magic abiilites and who throws them at enemies. i'm going to take sniper alt class feature for scout

can some one tell me if this would work or not

Extra Anchovies
2016-03-03, 02:05 AM
What book is this sniper ACF from? It's not on the list (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7908).

Generally, thrown weapons don't work in 3.5 outside of the very early levels. A character can make a full attack with a single melee weapon or bow, but a full attack with thrown weapons requires one weapon for each attack - which means buying multiple enchanted weapons when every other character only needs one.

There's really only one way to make throwing truly viable, and that's to have levels in Bloodstorm Blade, a prestige class from Tome of Battle. The earliest you could get into it would be with Scout 4/Warblade 1, but a fifth level of scout gives you another Skirmish die so it might be better to take the Warblade dip on the other side of the build. Four levels of Bloodstorm Blade gets you Lightning Ricochet, which lets you make a full attack with a single thrown weapon. You also get a bonus fighter feat and some other stuff that's all pretty forgettable.

You'll also probably want a one-level dip into Cleric, so you can get Travel Devotion for free and a turning pool to fuel it. Travel Devotion is great on a scout because it's a no-hassle way to trigger skirmish on full attacks, but it does have limited uses per day so you'll want to pick up a Reliquary Holy Symbol and/or Nightstick. Both items, plus the base 3 from the Cleric dip, lets you use Travel Devotion five times per day, which should be enough.

As for the Artificer side of things, I don't really know much about them myself. Here's a guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427628-Disregard-Money-Acquire-Buff-Spells-Artificers-without-the-Artifice) that focuses on the noncrafting aspects of the class, which is probably a good place to start.

ETA: hahaha, it would probably be good if I actually linked the guide instead of just thinking I did. Edited accordingly.

RoyVG
2016-03-03, 05:39 AM
What book is this sniper ACF from? It's not on the list (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7908).

I believe there is a Dragon Magazine issue that has (at least) 2 alternative class features. One I believe is a sniper, not sure what the benefits were. The other is the light cavalier, in which you gain a mount 'Like a paladin'. We have a scout that took light cavalier and excanged that again for the Drakkensteed Mount from Dragon Magic. So yeah, he is now a scout with a dragon-like mount.

Extra Anchovies
2016-03-03, 06:35 AM
I believe there is a Dragon Magazine issue that has (at least) 2 alternative class features. One I believe is a sniper, not sure what the benefits were. The other is the light cavalier, in which you gain a mount 'Like a paladin'. We have a scout that took light cavalier and excanged that again for the Drakkensteed Mount from Dragon Magic. So yeah, he is now a scout with a dragon-like mount.

Thanks for the sourcing help - looks like it's Dragon 346 that has both of them.

That sniper ACF... geez. It hurts just reading it. As a full-round action, make a single ranged attack with a bow or crossbow against a target more than 60 feet away... and deal an extra 1d6 precision damage, +1d6 at every 4 levels after 1st. Oh, and you can't move at all in that round; no Travel Devotion, no 5-foot step. In exchange, you give up skirmish and fast movement. Wow, that is bad. I strongly, strongly encourage OP to not take the sniper ACF, and stick with vanilla Skirmish; not only is this a phenomenally bad ACF even by DragMag standards, but it's explicitly incompatible with thrown weapons.

RoyVG
2016-03-03, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the sourcing help - looks like it's Dragon 346 that has both of them.

That sniper ACF... geez. It hurts just reading it. As a full-round action, make a single ranged attack with a bow or crossbow against a target more than 60 feet away... and deal an extra 1d6 precision damage, +1d6 at every 4 levels after 1st. Oh, and you can't move at all in that round; no Travel Devotion, no 5-foot step. In exchange, you give up skirmish and fast movement. Wow, that is bad. I strongly, strongly encourage OP to not take the sniper ACF, and stick with vanilla Skirmish; not only is this a phenomenally bad ACF even by DragMag standards, but it's explicitly incompatible with thrown weapons.
Well, the light cavalier isn't all that great either. Yes, it's a mount with progression, but Skirmish was errata'd that it does not work while mounted, so that ACF, by RAW, is pretty useless if you had the the idea of a quick moving, mounted archer.

I agree with Extra Anchovies, if throwing weapons is the way you want to go as a main source of damage, don't take the Sniper ACF, because it simply does not work.