PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Character Creation] Building around a Longsword

mrguymiah
2016-03-03, 01:16 AM
In this game I'm playing, the DM likes to give each character a 'boon', to help them stand out and be special heroes within the world. My current character is destined to die because of story reasons, and my DM has informed me that my next character gets one of the special plot swords we've been investigating. That being the case, I know that it's a longsword and can build my character around that. What sort of builds can be done with a longsword as the primary weapon? Would there be some way to magically change it into a greatsword or something?

Details:
-10th level
-Longsword weapon
-Human
-20pt buy

Allowed 3rd Party:
-Path of War & supplements
-Spheres of Power & supplements
-Ultimate Psionics

Geddy2112
2016-03-03, 01:24 AM
So you worship this god (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Iomedae)
There are barbarian archetypes that can wield weapons one size larger as weapons of their size, but with damage of the larger size. There is also the ranger spell lead blades.

You are either looking at sword and board or sword and board two weapon fighting, or 2 hand the long sword.

Max strength, and your casting stat. Then con, and wis if not casting stat, dex if it is.

For feats, you want power attack and weapon focus. Maybe coragun smash and cleave.

Extra Anchovies
2016-03-03, 01:32 AM
Is there anything preventing you from wielding the longsword in two hands? If not, just build for THF.

Power Attack is the only feat you'll need. Cornugon Smash is also pretty nice, and you could build towards Shatter Defenses (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shatter-defenses-combat---final) with your next couple feats.

chaos_redefined
2016-03-03, 01:45 AM
Scarlet Throne from Path of War covers One-handed weapon style. This leads towards either Warlord (as the only class with ST in-class, iirc) or one of the wisdom-based classes (for boosts to Sense Motive, which acts as your attack roll kinda in several maneuvers). This lets you use the excess damage from maneuvers in place of the lost power-attack exchange rate.

If you wanna go einhander, the new PoW stuff has stuff for that. If you wanna go sword+board, add in Iron Tortoise.

Sayt
2016-03-03, 02:22 AM
Path of War is pretty good, and I like it a lot, but here's an alternative:

Paladin 10, pick up Iomedae's Inspiring Sword (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/divine-fighting-technique-combat).

If you want to build up the Martyr aspect, there's also the Holy Vindicator (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/holy-vindicator) PrC.

NightbringerGGZ
2016-03-03, 09:25 AM
Divine Fighting Technique: Iomedae's Inspiring Sword is great. It grants you various ways to provide a +2 sacred bonus to attack rolls, saving throws and skill checks. As you can use the ability at will it is a really nice bonus.

I'm working on a Fighter build that is specifically geared towards mid-level buffing. You pick up the Tactician archetype and Bard Variant Multiclassing. You also pick up the Helpful (Halfling) trait for +4 bonuses when you aid another, use the Adopted trait to qualify if you don't want to play a Halfling. At level 11 this lets you set up a really powerful 2-round buff as you can use your full-action ability from Inspiring Sword (+2s), provide Aid Another bonuses (+4s) to Int modifier allies as a standard action and activate Inspire Courage (+2s) as a move action.

Its a solid foundation for buffing with very little feat investment, so you can also choose to build as a melee character if you wish. Effortless Lace will allow you to use a Longsword with a Dexterity build if you're worried about being Mad. An elf can also get Int to damage with the Longsword instead, which I find very amusing (Int based Fighter).

Elder_Basilisk
2016-03-03, 12:18 PM
A couple other options compatible with longsword:

1. Strength magus (or dex magus with slashing grace). Longsword is not as common as scimitar for magus builds but it is very functional and a one-handed versatile weapon is the ideal fighting style for a magus.

2. Switch hitter. (Fighter, paladin, ranger, warpriest, inquisitor, or battle cleric): start combats with a bow in hand and switch to your longsword when the enemy closes. Greatswords or two handed weapons are traditional for switch hitter builds but longsword has a number of advantages:
A. Usable two handed if you want the extra damage. 1.5 points of damage between 1d8 and 2d6 isn't that big a deal by the time you look at the rest of the bonuses.
B. Usable with a buckler if you want defense (A magic buckler can be worth up to 6 points of AC--that can be a pretty big deal and there's no reason not to wear a buckler).
C. You don't need to drop your bow to attack with the sword. Draw (or quickdraw) the sword, attack with it it one-handed with the bow in your other hand; next round (or even in the middle of a full attack, drop the sword and finish the attacks with the bow).
D. Usable in a grapple. A lot of monsters have improved grab and it's one of the best ways to shut down an archer so having your melee weapon be grapple compatible is going to be nice for a switch hitter.

3. Sword and shield two weapon fighting ranger or slayer. As a ranger or slayer you aren't expected to pick up many weapon feats so having non-paired weapons can work very well.

dascarletm
2016-03-03, 12:31 PM
You could go Warder, they work well for a sword and board type.

AZGrowler
2016-03-03, 06:20 PM
A couple other options compatible with longsword:

1. Strength magus (or dex magus with slashing grace). Longsword is not as common as scimitar for magus builds but it is very functional and a one-handed versatile weapon is the ideal fighting style for a magus.

2. Switch hitter. (Fighter, paladin, ranger, warpriest, inquisitor, or battle cleric): start combats with a bow in hand and switch to your longsword when the enemy closes. Greatswords or two handed weapons are traditional for switch hitter builds but longsword has a number of advantages:
A. Usable two handed if you want the extra damage. 1.5 points of damage between 1d8 and 2d6 isn't that big a deal by the time you look at the rest of the bonuses.
B. Usable with a buckler if you want defense (A magic buckler can be worth up to 6 points of AC--that can be a pretty big deal and there's no reason not to wear a buckler).
C. You don't need to drop your bow to attack with the sword. Draw (or quickdraw) the sword, attack with it it one-handed with the bow in your other hand; next round (or even in the middle of a full attack, drop the sword and finish the attacks with the bow).
D. Usable in a grapple. A lot of monsters have improved grab and it's one of the best ways to shut down an archer so having your melee weapon be grapple compatible is going to be nice for a switch hitter.

3. Sword and shield two weapon fighting ranger or slayer. As a ranger or slayer you aren't expected to pick up many weapon feats so having non-paired weapons can work very well.
A slayer could use the longsword two handed with power strike when in regular combat, and then use quick draw to whip out a Shortsword of Subtlety to use in their off hand when they can use sneak attack. That shortsword functions as a +4 weapon when making sneak attacks. Also, at 10th level, your Ranger Combat talent could pick up Two-Weapon Rend without needing to grab the execrable Double Slice feat.

mrguymiah
2016-03-03, 07:19 PM
Thank you everyone for the input. I'm not sure what I want to do, yet, but this does give me some directions to look into. Thanks!

stack
2016-03-04, 10:30 AM
Warder 1 thaumaturge 9, alteration with size change, light with encompassing light. You get really big. Cast off intelligence, get lots of AOOs with your reach plus being a Warder. Thaumaturge keeps you d8 medium BAB. Longsword reduces your damage somewhat, but not a huge problem. Enhancement buffs like energy weapon help.