PDA

View Full Version : Creating a wizard that crafts

iceman10058
2016-03-03, 02:02 AM
Im working on a wizard build that revolves around crafting item, any build sugestions?

Vizzerdrix
2016-03-03, 05:35 AM
Need quite a bit more info. Books allowed. desired power level. Do you want a baker, carpenter, armorer, etc. I have seen a handbook on basket weaving kicking around someplace.

iceman10058
2016-03-03, 06:07 AM
Sorry, i ment crafting magical items. The dm houseruled away xp costs. Im looking for prestige class ideas and feat recomendations.

iceman10058
2016-03-03, 06:29 AM
Think Tony Stark as a wizard

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-03, 06:45 AM
Sorry, i ment crafting magical items. The dm houseruled away xp costs. Im looking for prestige class ideas and feat recomendations.

Do you wanna be a crafter of magic items or a wizard who makes some stuff on the side?

The fist is done -far- better by an artificer than a wizard ever could do it. For the latter, the only thing you really need is to pick craft wondrous item at 3 and maybe craft wand at 5. Arms and armor is only necessary if you plan on kitting out your party fighters. There's not much outside of that unless you want to get weird.

Incidently, there's no need to be afraid of XP costs. Unless you go absolutely crazy with crafting everything you can think of and trying to match an artificer, the worst that happens is you get a level behind your allies for a few encounters and more than make up the power in being kitted out in -exactly- the gear you want. The risk/reward angle on XP component spells can sometimes come back in the positive too, as long as you use them sparingly. Ya know, just in case your DM ever changes his mind or you end up playing with a different one. If you've ever played demon/dark souls/bloodborne then you should be able to understand how XP as a currency for power outside of leveling can work (at least you don't need to use it as a general currency like in those games).

Âmesang
2016-03-03, 06:58 AM
I'd imagine you'd want to spend some of your non-bonus feats on Exceptional Artisan and Extraordinary Artisan from the EBERRON™ Campaign Setting. Extra Rings and Wand Mastery couldn't hurt, either.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-03, 07:05 AM
I'd imagine you'd want to spend some of your non-bonus feats on Exceptional Artisan and Extraordinary Artisan from the EBERRON™ Campaign Setting. Extra Rings and Wand Mastery couldn't hurt, either.

Wand mastery is kinda iffy in my opinion; not bad, just iffy. Now metamagic spelltrigger, on the other hand...

sleepyphoenixx
2016-03-03, 08:33 AM
There aren't many PrCs that focus on crafting. Alchemist Savant and Unbound Scroll come to mind, but AS focuses on potions and alchemical items which really isn't optimal.
Unbound Scroll is pretty good, but it's all scrolls which is probably not what you mean when you say "crafting items". It's also a lot better on artificers than wizards.
Cannith Wand Adept focuses on using wands, but it doesn't help with crafting (and doesn't advance casting at all).

For feats there isn't much beside crafting feats themselves and the cost-reducing feats in ECS and PGtF ("whatever" Artisan, there's a whole lot).
If you want to craft wands/scrolls/staves there's also Enhance Item (ELH) which lets you add your own ability modifier to item DCs.

Another option is Initiate of Boccob (Dr#342). The granted spell Research Aid lets you craft magic items in half the time.

Wand Mastery alone doesn't help much. Any spell from a wand that sucks with base DC will still suck with base DC +2. You're better off taking Enhance Item (ELH) to use your full ability mod with wands you craft and then stacking Wand Mastery, Cannith Wand Adept etc. on top of that, if you want to invest that much to do what a wizard does with his spell slots.
But in that case you may as well play an artificer - the costs are the same, but you'd get some feats free and also get access to Metamagic Item and other infusions that are a great help for that playstyle.

If you want just one feat that helps with wands my suggestion would be Channel Charge (LEoF) or Wand Surge (ECS), if you have access to Unfettered Heroism.
There isn't much point though unless you plan to use a lot of wands and can't comfortably fit what you need on a Runestaff.

Troacctid
2016-03-03, 08:41 AM
Maester (CAd) lets you craft at double speed. Effigy Master (CAr) is a fun choice if you want to craft golems to fight for you.

Vizzerdrix
2016-03-03, 09:08 AM
3.0 had a strange one. It was a prc that let you make enchanted candles.

Faerun has the techsmith (a cleric that is intogolems and guns) prc and the lantan artificer (made big clunky non magical magic items) prc.

iceman10058
2016-03-04, 02:46 AM
Thanks guys, this gives me some things to think about. Been trying to figure out a way to have fun with a wizard with a build where i dont just walk into combat, snap my fingers, and everything dies and walk away. Im hoping this will be fun and let me make some cool stuff i never seem to get to mess around with.

Vogie
2016-03-04, 12:57 PM
For some reason, I am picturing a Wizard with a custom non-firearm revolver, but loaded with wands rather than bullets. Not the Spellslinger, specifically, but a crafter that uses wands.

Maybe mix it with the Gun Magus homebrew archtype here on the playground (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?215730-PF-Homebrew-Archetypes-Pathfinder-Archetype)

Maybe your wizard is a crafter with unnatural quality wands, with fewer charges at a lesser price. Maybe your device allows you to use multiple wands simultaneously...

This is a cool idea, I want to fiddle with it...

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-04, 05:31 PM
If you're trying to intentionally limit your power by wielding it indirectly, you might consider wiz 5/alchemist savant 5/master alchemist 10. Turn all your magic* into potions the whole party can use.

*Almost. You're still limited to single target, non-personal spells.

Aleolus
2016-03-04, 06:16 PM
If you do want to take Craft Magic Arms and Armor, might I recommend playing a dwarf and building towards Ironsoul Forgemaster, from Magic of Incarnum? They get the feat for free at level 2, and get triple their class level to their caster level for purposes of making those items. Quite enjoyable, that

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-04, 06:34 PM
If you do want to take Craft Magic Arms and Armor, might I recommend playing a dwarf and building towards Ironsoul Forgemaster, from Magic of Incarnum? They get the feat for free at level 2, and get triple their class level to their caster level for purposes of making those items. Quite enjoyable, that

battlesmith has the same feature and doesn't require learning incarnum. I like incarnum but I also acknowledge that not everyone will.

iceman10058
2016-03-07, 09:14 PM
For some reason, I am picturing a Wizard with a custom non-firearm revolver, but loaded with wands rather than bullets. Not the Spellslinger, specifically, but a crafter that uses wands.

Maybe mix it with the Gun Magus homebrew archtype here on the playground (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?215730-PF-Homebrew-Archetypes-Pathfinder-Archetype)

Maybe your wizard is a crafter with unnatural quality wands, with fewer charges at a lesser price. Maybe your device allows you to use multiple wands simultaneously...

This is a cool idea, I want to fiddle with it...

Funny you should say that, cause its what i ended up doing. I had to craft the device myself, but seeig as wands dont have to look lie want and can be little pieces of wood as well, i carved wooden bullets and loaded them into somethi ng that allows me to just use 1 wand and it looks like a revolver.