PDA

View Full Version : Making a fitting twin (odd build help for pathfinder)

Luch Ri
2016-03-03, 03:15 AM
First, I should note that I am not looking to optimize, but set a tone with this. I am currently thinking of starting up a game in the asian-equivilant section of my campaign setting, a spot I have not taken any of my players before. I have quite a bit for it thanks to my own work and that of my late best friend. However it does present me with a particular issue.

I have not used the gunslinger class in play before. I have not had need. The main part of my setting has gunpowder banned and few know it exists because it is just another one of those things gnomes played around with and found even they had little stomach for. As such call for it is limited. This new area though, not so much.

Now I want to make two dm characters to help keep the party full enough considering how our adult life scheduling can be. Twins. One I have the concept for already with a warlock/monk playing goku a bit. His sister though I am not as sure.

I am interested in the idea of a psionic/gunslinger or spontanious caster/gunslinger for her as a way to mirror her brother as twins are want to do in fiction. However I am unsure of any way to make the same kind of interesting geshtalt with the two at present. I am also looking to buy some books on GM day so no need to hold back from more obscure third party stuff. I am just hoping to get a good "strange and yet familiar" vibe for my players since they have explored the hell out of my base setting over the past decade.

Thanks in advance.

Florian
2016-03-03, 03:23 AM
What kind of "asia"? More chinese, more japanese?

Alchemist//Gunslinger is easy to pull of and has a great vibe going. Ninja//Gunslinger would have some mystic touches and is pretty effective to boot.

Azoth
2016-03-03, 04:25 AM
Spellslinger Wizard1/Eldritch Archer Magus X//Hawkguard Warder Y Focus on Tempest Gale from Path of War Expanded playtest document and maybe Solar Wind of an appropriate element variation.

Luch Ri
2016-03-03, 06:44 AM
Sorry I could not respond. Was in the midst of a bad shift at work. Chewed out by boss and may have pulled something.

As for where? Well it is tricky. There are different reigons, and they will be in a region where the culture most drawn from would resemble china. There are shades of japan and korea, most notably mid to late 19th century japan with some liberties taken.

I am gonna play with your suggestions when I get home and get abbout 600 mils of ibuprofin to kick in, but I very much appriciate it. Sadly my brain is just too hurt to process that for the next hour or two.

Caedes
2016-03-03, 12:12 PM
I have not used the gunslinger class in play before. I have not had need. The main part of my setting has gunpowder banned and few know it exists because it is just another one of those things gnomes played around with and found even they had little stomach for. As such call for it is limited. This new area though, not so much.

I love this idea. I will say one thing on the Gunslinger class though. (And I love playing the Gunslinger.) The fact that guns only have to hit Touch AC is stupid. This is accomplished with the DeadEye class feature at 1st level. It is a bit broken... :D

Extra Anchovies
2016-03-03, 02:48 PM
I love this idea. I will say one thing on the Gunslinger class though. (And I love playing the Gunslinger.) The fact that guns only have to hit Touch AC is stupid. This is accomplished with the DeadEye class feature at 1st level. It is a bit broken... :D

Actually, firearms target touch AC inside the first range increment no matter who's using them. Deadeye just lets Gunslingers target touch AC outside the first range increment. It's definitely a problem - combat options are balanced with the idea that weapon attacks will target normal AC, so weapon attacks that target touch AC are inherently unbalancing - but it's easily fixed by refluffing crossbows as guns and locking Gunslingers into Bolt Ace. Sure, having crossbows and guns be equally effective is a bit silly, but so if having wooden clubs and flanged iron maces be equally effective; d20 doesn't exactly have a realistic weapon system.

Florian
2016-03-03, 03:00 PM
so weapon attacks that target touch AC are inherently unbalancing

It gets interesting when actual class-based opponents come into it. Some roles pretty much reverse then. Your basic Rogue or Monk is still something like a wet towel against your typical Fighter type, but they can be tough enemies for a Gunslinger used to Bestiary monsters.

Luch Ri
2016-03-03, 07:40 PM
First, to all who have posted here, thank you.

Currently keeping my options open as I must gather my players, but playing with the Gunslinger/alchemist setup at the moment to see how it works when paired with her twin. Seems a bit more fitting as well since it would likely require a more serious personality again creating the disparity between the two, which is admittedly part of what I am going for. May try ninja, but due to the more chinese-focused background the two are likley to have, may not work as well per say.

Also grateful for all of the build and gunslinger feedback in general. It is especially helpful since I imagine I will end up with a player wanting to take a gun or the gunslinger class as a dip since they have been 'denied' guns so long. Not that anyone has complained, but I also restricted Drow until after an arc where the Drow went to war with the surface world and the second that was resolved one player rolled a Drow the next campaign. Which is fine, was actually a ton of fun. But knowing my group they like to try new things out.

I may have to acid test the siblings against each other and against a few other threats before finalizing things, but I am enjoying the ideas overall, and I am sure my players will be grateful.