PDA

View Full Version : Creating a spell help...

Belzyk
2016-03-03, 10:42 AM
So I've been playing ni no kuni and want to turn the forbidden spell Ashes of Rebirth into a apocalyptic spell for late in my campeign. Anyone have any ideas? For you who haven't played the amazing rpg Ni no kuni. Ashes of rebirth creates a ash fallout that turns all living things it touches into feral monsters that tear everything to pieces.

Segev
2016-03-03, 10:45 AM
Do you want it as a 9th level spell or an epic spell? As an epic spell, the seeds are fairly straightforward. As a 9th level spell, the homebrewing will require a bit more specifics on how big this is supposed to be, how difficult the casting is (time, components, special conditions?), etc.

Belzyk
2016-03-03, 10:47 AM
I think it would be best as an epic level spell. It'll be used once and only once in my game. And only if we manage to get far into it. I want to use it as the transitioned from normal game to epic levels. The spell should be nearly impossible to cast. As it will effect the entire multiverse I have.

Red Fel
2016-03-03, 10:54 AM
I think it would be best as an epic level spell. It'll be used once and only once in my game. And only if we manage to get far into it. I want to use it as the transitioned from normal game to epic levels. The spell should be nearly impossible to cast. As it will effect the entire multiverse I have.

Is it meant to be cast by an NPC? Because if it is, simply call it a "ritual" and have it done by fiat.

I'd really only consider statting a spell like this if it was intended to be reused (i.e. not just a plot device) or if it was for PC use. Otherwise, there's not much point - it's a thing that happens and stuff goes super-nuts. Roll up a few quick stats for how to save against its effects if you want, but otherwise just say what it's designed to do.

So, for example, you say it does two things:
"Creates an ash fallout." Okay, so searing ash falls from the sky, I guess? Reflex save to avoid fire damage from the ash.
"Turns living things it touches into feral monsters." Okay, so anything that fails the initial Reflex save needs to make a Will save. Come up with a template (say, "Reborn Savage") that covers the changes to the creatures who fail the save (say, reduced mental stats, bloodlust, increased physical stats). Heck, if it happens off-camera, just decide which NPCs survive (if any) without a roll.
Boom, done. Do you need more than that?

Belzyk
2016-03-03, 10:56 AM
Is it meant to be cast by an NPC? Because if it is, simply call it a "ritual" and have it done by fiat.

I'd really only consider statting a spell like this if it was intended to be reused (i.e. not just a plot device) or if it was for PC use. Otherwise, there's not much point - it's a thing that happens and stuff goes super-nuts. Roll up a few quick stats for how to save against its effects if you want, but otherwise just say what it's designed to do.

So, for example, you say it does two things:
"Creates an ash fallout." Okay, so searing ash falls from the sky, I guess? Reflex save to avoid fire damage from the ash.
"Turns living things it touches into feral monsters." Okay, so anything that fails the initial Reflex save needs to make a Will save. Come up with a template (say, "Reborn Savage") that covers the changes to the creatures who fail the save (say, reduced mental stats, bloodlust, increased physical stats). Heck, if it happens off-camera, just decide which NPCs survive (if any) without a roll.
Boom, done. Do you need more than that?

Thank you. This is my first time dming and it's me and a few friends I didnt really know how to handle it. Yes it will be a ritual a NPC uses.

Segev
2016-03-03, 11:00 AM
THen yeah, that's a plot event, and all you need to stat out is specifically how the PCs interact with it. Any relevant saves: if the ash causes damage, the reflex one, and how much damage they take on a failure and whether the save is for half or all; any will saves to have PCs avoid being afflicted with the feral beast curse. I should note that you don't even need the saves if the PCs aren't going to be exposed to the ashfall.

The other thing is to stat out the afflicted victims, reduced to feral beasts. Either make a template, or just run them as nutso feral beasts with the same stats. (I would at least make a template to render them Int 3 and immune to mind-affecting effects so they can't be charmed or dominated into acting sane.)

Belzyk
2016-03-03, 11:03 AM
THen yeah, that's a plot event, and all you need to stat out is specifically how the PCs interact with it. Any relevant saves: if the ash causes damage, the reflex one, and how much damage they take on a failure and whether the save is for half or all; any will saves to have PCs avoid being afflicted with the feral beast curse. I should note that you don't even need the saves if the PCs aren't going to be exposed to the ashfall.

The other thing is to stat out the afflicted victims, reduced to feral beasts. Either make a template, or just run them as nutso feral beasts with the same stats. (I would at least make a template to render them Int 3 and immune to mind-affecting effects so they can't be charmed or dominated into acting sane.)

Yeah ima make a template for it. And thank yaw so much playgrounders

Segev
2016-03-03, 11:07 AM
You're welcome! Good luck with your first DMing experience!