PDA

View Full Version : Nap spell

TheElfLord
2007-06-18, 08:10 PM
Did the nap spell make it into 3.x? I know it was broken and all, but it would be cool to have.

Winged One
2007-06-18, 08:21 PM
What did it do in 2nd edition? If it does exist, either they renamed it, or it's in a book I don't have.

AngelSword
2007-06-18, 08:22 PM
I'm not entirely familiar with the spell. Though, I don't recall seeing it in any 3.x book produced by WotC. Granted, it's quite possible I missed it.

Where did it originally appear?

TheElfLord
2007-06-18, 08:31 PM
Second ed players handbook

Basically what it did was allow 1 hour of sleep to refresh 1 person per caster level as much as 8 hours of normal sleep. This also counted as 8 hours for spell preperation.

brian c
2007-06-18, 10:22 PM
Second ed players handbook

Basically what it did was allow 1 hour of sleep to refresh 1 person per caster level as much as 8 hours of normal sleep. This also counted as 8 hours for spell preperation.

Never heard of it, and it sounds like it would be quite powerful.

Matthew
2007-06-19, 12:30 AM
Hmmn. I seem to vaguely recall something like this, but I don't think it was in the (A)D&D 2.x PHB.

13_CBS
2007-06-19, 12:32 AM
I have the 2nd Ed. PHB on my shelf right now and I can safely say that the nap spell does not exist there.

Pestlepup
2007-06-19, 02:31 AM
There is actually something similar in 3rd ed. Went by the name of Remove Fatigue or somesuch, was maybe in Spell Compendium, maybe not. In effect, it bestowed the benefits of 8 hours of rest, if memory serves, though it did not allow for casters to regain spells. The point was, I believe, to just cure fatigue and exhaustion, as the name implies, but technically the benefits of rest include healing hit point and ability damage. Not quite what you had in mind, and even with Healtful Rest it's not that awesome, but a fun little spell. Look it up if possible.

SITB
2007-06-19, 02:46 AM
Aha! found it. An item with the effect you described.

I personally like Heward's Fortifying bedroll from Complete Mage. The effects of 8 hours of rest in just 1 hour. You coud make it insanely cheaply with your Craft Wondrous Item Feat.

Winged One
2007-06-19, 02:50 AM
IIRC, however, a Fortifying Bedroll only works once per two days, not CL per slot you feel like spending, so it' not a perfect analogue.

AngelSword
2007-06-19, 02:55 AM
What about a Ring of Sustenance? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#sustenance) That's close, no?

Pestlepup
2007-06-19, 03:28 AM
Yeah, Ring of Sustenance would pretty much fit the bill. Though it doesn't necessarily allow casters to replenish their spells multiple times a day. Especially not so for divine casters, since they always have a "designated prayer time" each day, during which they receive spells. If the god grants spells at dawn, it's not coming around again until next day regardless of how well rested, refreshed and perfumed the supplicants are.

For arcane casters, though, it's a bit of a judgement call.

I too seem to have vague recollections of the Nap spell, but can't either put my finger on it as to where it's found. If nowhere else, it should be in Wizard's Spell Compendium(s). Along with Encyclopedia Magica and the priestly counterpart of the more arcane Compendium, they're rather must-have if playing AD&D.

Kurald Galain
2007-06-19, 03:56 AM
IIRC it's in either the Tome of Magic or the Cleric's Handbook. Cleric spell, 2nd level. The reason why it's potentially broken is because it allows the wiz to replenish their spells, and because you can be multiclassed and cast it on yourself.

Matthew
2007-06-19, 07:23 AM
Yeah, Tome of Magic:

Nap (Alteration)
Sphere: Time
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 2
Area of Effect: One creature/level
Saving Throw: None

Creatures affected by this spell are put to sleep for one hour. Upon awakening, the creature is as refreshed as if he had slept for eight hours. The affected person recovers lost hit points as if he rested for a full night. Wizards can memorize spells as if real time had passed.
Because the rest is so complete and rejuvenating, a character does not feel fatigued after waking. Attempts to use nap more than once in an 18-hour period are ineffective (the character simply is not sleepy). Only willing subjects can be affected by nap.
The material components are a scrap of pillow ticking, a feather, and a pebble that the caster has kept in his pocket for seven nights.

It's not really as broken as people make out. Memorising Spells took a lot longer in (A)D&D (10 Minutes per Spell Level per Spell), but at Low Levels this could be quite an advantage.

martyboy74
2007-06-19, 07:44 AM
Technically, since is says "[...]chose a time at which you regain your spells[...]', couldn't you just chose 'when I need spells' as the time?

TheElfLord
2007-06-19, 04:11 PM
Yeah Tome of Magic, not Player's Handbook, my mistake. I was looking through them both the other night and got confused. It's a nice spell, although it has the potental to be abused.

Kurald Galain
2007-06-19, 04:27 PM
It's not really as broken as people make out. Memorising Spells took a lot longer in (A)D&D (10 Minutes per Spell Level per Spell), but at Low Levels this could be quite an advantage.

Yes, but this is exactly one of those things that is ignored as a houserule because it's too annoying to keep track of, just like spell components. A fifth level wizard (4/3/2 spells if specialized) would have to spend nearly three hours memorizing, and it gets exponentially worse at higher levels.

Come to think of it, I suspect this spell was designed to alleviate the ludicrous amount of time a wizard would need to spend each morning, in effect subtracting seven hours from it. Doesn't quite work out that way.

Matthew
2007-06-19, 04:43 PM
Hah, hah. Well, when people ignore the rules they don't like and then exploit Spells like this as a result, then they get what they deserve. (A)D&D, in particular, is a self policed game and, basically, such abuses are a failure on the part of the DM. My (A)D&D Wizards certainly never got away with that sort of thing.