PDA

View Full Version : Curse of Strahd Table of Contents

GWJ_DanyBoy
2016-03-03, 12:59 PM
Posted yesterday on Enworld (http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3267-Check-Out-CURSE-OF-STRAHD-S-Table-of-Contents!#.Vth52fkrK70)

Interestingly, the book seems to be set up in a location-based manner.
Unfortunately for those hoping for more, it seems only 2 pages are dedicated to character options, seemingly mostly filled with character backgrounds.

So is anyone thinking of picking this one up this weekend at the preferred shops?

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-03, 01:00 PM
Posted yesterday on Enworld (http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3267-Check-Out-CURSE-OF-STRAHD-S-Table-of-Contents!#.Vth52fkrK70)

Interestingly, the book seems to be set up in a location-based manner.
Unfortunately for those hoping for more, it seems only 2 pages are dedicated to character options, seemingly mostly filled with character backgrounds.

So is anyone thinking of picking this one up this weekend at the preferred shops?

That's rather disappointing. Probably won't bother then.

randomodo
2016-03-03, 01:12 PM
enworld is blocked at work: would anyone be kind enough to type out the table of contents headers?

DanyBallon
2016-03-03, 01:21 PM
enworld is blocked at work: would anyone be kind enough to type out the table of contents headers?

Can you access FB at work? It's on the D&D FB page.

or you can try the following link:

http://static.ow.ly/docs/01_CoS_TableofContents_4s09.pdf

GWJ_DanyBoy
2016-03-03, 01:27 PM
Here ya go, with the page it starts on.

Foreword 4
Introduction 5
Ch. 1: Into the Mists 9
Ch. 2: The Lands of Barovia 23
Ch. 3: The Village of Barovia 41
Ch. 4: Castle Ravenloft 49
Ch. 5: The Town of Vallaki 95
Ch. 6: Old Bonegrinder 125
Ch. 7: Argynvostholt 129
Ch. 8: The Village of Krezk 143
Ch. 9: Tsolenka Pass 157
Ch. 10: The Ruins of Berez 161
Ch. 11: Van Richten's Tower 167
Ch. 12: The Wizard of Wines 173
Ch. 13: The Amber Temple 181
Ch. 14: Yester Hill 197
Ch. 15: Werewolf Den 201
Epilogue 207
App. A: Character Options 209
App. B: Death House 211
App. C: Treasures 221
App. D: Monsters and NPCs 225
App. E: The Tarokka Deck 243
App. F: Handouts 251-256

And then there's a listing of all the maps with page numbers

RagnaroksChosen
2016-03-03, 01:35 PM
This very unfortunate :(

Some of the funner things about Ravenloft where some of the player options.

Much sadness.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2016-03-03, 01:54 PM
I was really hoping for a supplement like what came out with Elemental Evil. But if that was happening, it likely would have been released by now. I guess there's a small hope that it'll get released this weekend to coincide with the book, but I'm not holding my breath.

randomodo
2016-03-03, 02:57 PM
ahh...I rarely use facebook so it didn't occur to me to check their page. Thanks for that info and for the embedded ToC

Envyus
2016-03-04, 01:38 AM
I really did not care about character options and was not going to get the book for them. So I just think the ToC looks cool and robust. Lots of stuff about Barovia.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2016-03-05, 09:47 AM
Early reviews are coming out. (https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/48wy0d/a_quick_review_of_curse_of_strahd/)

Also, you can grab the intro adventure for free (http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/Curse%20of%20Strahd%20Introductory%20Adventure.pdf ). Good for levels 1 to 3.

Regitnui
2016-03-05, 01:13 PM
I like the idea of them avoiding the exponential class proliferation that the last two editions had. Admittedly, we haven't gotten splats, just adventures...

I see wereravens and tree blights... Interesting monsters.

pwykersotz
2016-03-05, 01:56 PM
Just read the Death House pre-adventure. I like it quite a lot. It's a little railroad-y, but that's fairly expected in Ravenloft when Strahd is actually trying to railroad the party.

Markoff Chainey
2016-03-05, 02:12 PM
What upsets me is that they seem to mix up players and DMs... I am mostly a player and I got really excited about the potential options that a Ravenloft scenario entails, so I pre-ordered the book already.

Yet, when I read the ToC, I find 3 pages (!) that seem to be written for me! I do not even want to read the rest of the book, because my DM might want to use it!

While I can understand the obvious marketing idea behind the idea to release one book that has stuff in it for everybody, so everybody buys it and not just the DM or just the players, I cannot see that working. I will not buy another book for 3 pages worth. There is a good reason why the PHB and the DMG are 2 books. If they put all the stuff together in one book without a notice for whom it is intended, they should also provide some substantial stuff for both players and DMs.

EvanescentHero
2016-03-05, 02:33 PM
What upsets me is that they seem to mix up players and DMs... I am mostly a player and I got really excited about the potential options that a Ravenloft scenario entails, so I pre-ordered the book already.

Yet, when I read the ToC, I find 3 pages (!) that seem to be written for me! I do not even want to read the rest of the book, because my DM might want to use it!

While I can understand the obvious marketing idea behind the idea to release one book that has stuff in it for everybody, so everybody buys it and not just the DM or just the players, I cannot see that working. I will not buy another book for 3 pages worth. There is a good reason why the PHB and the DMG are 2 books. If they put all the stuff together in one book without a notice for whom it is intended, they should also provide some substantial stuff for both players and DMs.

It's an adventure. It's made for DMs. It was never advertised as a book with player options, and it was not intended to be. You weren't supposed to buy the book as a player.

DanyBallon
2016-03-05, 02:37 PM

It was advertised as an adventure and adventures are known to be DM territory. The only adventure that had extensive players option was PoTA and they released a free player's document so players wouldn't have to buy the adventure to get access to the content geared toward them. A few backgrounds and maybe tips on how to play classes based on the setting hardly qualify as book for players, those can be passed on to the players by the DM without problem.

DanyBallon
2016-03-06, 11:10 AM
For those who want to have access to the player's options in CoS, here's a free download from WoTC

http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/CoS_Character_Options.pdf

Regitnui
2016-03-06, 01:36 PM
That's underwhelming. I like what little there is, let's be entirely fair, but there's only a taste.

McNinja
2016-03-07, 12:41 AM
I dont mind the sparse player options - this gives me a ton of ideas for the horror-themed section of my campaign.