PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming Designing a Campaign: The Outer Planes

In Retrospect
2016-03-03, 01:21 PM
I have an idea for a campaign that I would like to bring to life but there are a lot of main story points that I still need to figure out and string together believably as well as a come up with an interesting "middle" for my campaign. This is going to be a cross-plane journey of discovery and intrigue (and not to mention a whole lot of monster bashing) and I welcome criticism, suggestions and any support I can get to try and bring this campaign to life.

Different Rules
outlands are are VERY similar to a 2nd material plane, hard to notice differences at first
because outer planes are mostly thought they move at the speed of thought, every week on an outer plane is only a second in the material plane
due to this, those who travel to the outer planes, especially through an astral projection spell basically experience time at a MUCH slower pace and yet the material world below still continues to move about
finally, because of these things, those who do go to the outer planes (including the outlands) by way of astral projection can still be affected by things in the real world but at a pace of 1 action (in the real world or 6 seconds) for every 6 weeks that they are projecting
when one comes back from an astral projection spell, he or she instantly levels as much as the experience gained on the plain will let them and also keep all items that they were carrying or wearing, being manifested by sheer force of will.

General Plot (so far (WIP))
Players are amnesic when sent to outlands to escape from evil Empyrean.
They have 6 weeks to gain power before the Empyrean hits them (his time 6 seconds or 1 action later) and kills them.
On this plane they meet a Rakshasa that is trying to kill them but can’t because he is being watched over by an “angel”.
He sends them on far flung adventures in the outlands to attempt to kill them indirectly and thus gain favor with the evil Empyrean to free him from his angel “guard”.
Over time the characters discover more about the plain that they are in and also about how they got there and their past lives that they can’t remember.
The Rakshasa grows more and more fond of them over time and eventually reveals himself through saving their lives.
Players either kill their ”manipulator” or save him and kill his “angel” because although he started bad he is now utterly on their side.
Players learn about Empyrean and their fate from Rakshasa or “angel” brings them to mount celestia and they learn there.
Stuff happens and they get enough power at the end of 6 weeks so that when they are shocked out of their astral projection they outright kill the Empyrean (or die) and end the campaign.

The players start off in the outlands, the place where all of the outer planes makes a sort of quasi-material plane.
They are amnesic and have no idea how they got there or even that they aren’t on the material plane. They figure this out pretty quickly though (that they are in the outlands).
The reason that they left is because an evil Empyrean who was banished to Earth attacked a town that they were in. He did this because the town housed a powerful wizard that he wanted to kill to expand his domain and the players just happen to be near the wizard.
Iffy Part Begins
(I want to have a way and reason for the party to be astral projected into the plane in order to gain enough power to defeat the Empyrean through gaining levels and finding items over the course of 6 weeks as the he takes an attack action at them which takes 6 seconds and will definitely kill them unless they “gain experience and power in the outlands”)(why no one has done this before or why he can’t stop them and how it would make sense to do this still need to be worked out and are probably the weakest links in this whole campaign)
Maybe wizard casts Astral Projection on all of them (somehow in 1 action?) but he himself gets killed right as the spell goes off, leaving him dead before he gets to the plane but the players with the 6 seconds as the Empyrean takes another swing to kill them?
I need help with this part

When the party gets to the outerlands the have amnesia and can’t remember anything from their former lives except how to fight and I guess how to speak
Here they are met by a Rakshasa who is being “watched over” by an angel so he can’t kill or leave the plane, they don’t know this about him or even that he is a Rakshasa
He sees an opportunity to gain favor with the evil Empyrean and leave his “prison on the outlands plane” and so tries to kill the heroes he sees appear (how he knows about any of them still needs to found out, another weak link)
To achieve this end (his angel only stops him from leaving or directly killing) he acts as a friend to the players and sends them on far flung adventures across the plains to try and kill them without their knowledge, kind of like the trials of Perseus in greek myth.
In the end this only serves to empower them.
Stuff happens with Rakshasa.
Finally, they go back and with new powers and artifacts they kill the evil empyrean for good.

the_david
2016-03-06, 07:22 AM
Your story seems to be littered with railroading and Deus Ex Machina. Now, when I play that would be a bad thing, but your group might have a different opinion.

The problem I see here is that in the course of one day on the Material Plane, 259200 days go by in the Outlands. That's 7101 years. It's gonna be very hard for the Empyreal to contact the Rakshasa and vice versa.

In Retrospect
2016-03-06, 04:49 PM
Your story seems to be littered with railroading and Deus Ex Machina. Now, when I play that would be a bad thing, but your group might have a different opinion.

The problem I see here is that in the course of one day on the Material Plane, 259200 days go by in the Outlands. That's 7101 years. It's gonna be very hard for the Empyreal to contact the Rakshasa and vice versa.

On the point the time scale you are very right, I have changed the "months" to "weeks" in the post to add a greater sense of urgency to the adventure (even though a day is still about 1600 years).

The Rakshasa and the Empyrean aren't communicating and don't know eachother. The Rakshasa himself simply wants to get out of his "planar arrest" and back to the material realm. He has been talking with all of the locals of the Outlands and taking any chance he can get to scry for a solution. He cannot communicate with the outside world which is why he hasn't just called a demon friend to help. This seems like an opportunity though as he knows the Empyrean sees these characters and will interact with them (He could maybe send a scroll or note on their dead bodies back to the Empyrean to tell him of what he did). The point is that he is doing this only for himself but is absolutely unsure of whether it will work. He just wants to get out.

On the subject of Deus Ex Machina there seems to be only one thing, the wizard transporting them. This however is something the characters never experience in-game and the danger it saves them from is not even apparent to them at first.

Finally, the story isn't supposed to be railroaded. There are events happening all around the Outlands and in each of its 16 towns/cities. The Rakshasa as a friend to them isn't going to say do this and then this and then this impossible task but rather be friendly at first. He is supposed to act as the only person they know in the Outlands and a friendly face. After exploring their new world (the 16 towns and their intrigue, war and challenges (on their own)) and gaining a few levels he might send them on a quest. They might not have taken it otherwise because it seems to dangerous but hopefully will if their only friend in the world asks them to do it.

Overall you had great points and I had to rethink a few parts of the story, thank you so much.