PDA

View Full Version : Best way to create an Underground Base?

Zephonim
2016-03-03, 01:21 PM
From what I can tell it seems the best way to create an Underground Base is to use Lesser Planar Binding and summon a Thouqqa or possibly multiple. Then you make it agree to building you a base.

Since it can bore through Solid Rock you can create quite the network. I'm playing an Asherati Archivist Archivist 3/WitW 5 so I could also use Summon Nature's Ally.

My plan is to create a large tunnel that leads into the main base that will be filled with sand and I will attempt to use Awakened Sand as couriers to take me and my undead into the base. Although i am an Asherati and can in fact use Sand swim

Are there any other ways to do this that would be better?

Extra Anchovies
2016-03-03, 02:42 PM
Soften Earth and Stone is a second-level druid spell that can turn a large quantity of stone into soft clay. It is, however, somewhat limited by the available surface area because it targets squares rather than cubes.

Stone Shape is a third-level druid spell that does exactly what it says on the tin. Only affects 10+CL cubic feet, though, so it's best for semi-detailed stuff like stairs and doorways.

Transmute Rock to Mud is a fifth-level druid spell that does what it says to two 10-foot cubes per caster level, which is pretty darn efficient.

If you can cast LPB you can cast any of the above, and you won't need to bargain with or otherwise depend on anyone other than yourself. You also get the opportunity to hire a bunch of commoners to haul mud out of your underground base one bucket at a time, which is delightfully medieval.

Zephonim
2016-03-03, 02:47 PM
Soften Earth and Stone is a second-level druid spell that can turn a large quantity of stone into soft clay. It is, however, somewhat limited by the available surface area because it targets squares rather than cubes.

Stone Shape is a third-level druid spell that does exactly what it says on the tin. Only affects 10+CL cubic feet, though, so it's best for semi-detailed stuff like stairs and doorways.

Transmute Rock to Mud is a fifth-level druid spell that does what it says to two 10-foot cubes per caster level, which is pretty darn efficient.

If you can cast LPB you can cast any of the above, and you won't need to bargain with or otherwise depend on anyone other than yourself. You also get the opportunity to hire a bunch of commoners to haul mud out of your underground base one bucket at a time, which is delightfully medieval.

Well... it's hypothetical another 2 levels to LPB. But i really don't want anyone to know where my base is becasue I am a Necromancer otherwise I will have to kill all the peasants for knowing where the batcave is

johnbragg
2016-03-03, 02:49 PM
So spamming disintegrate is probably not an option.

InvisibleBison
2016-03-03, 02:58 PM
Well... it's hypothetical another 2 levels to LPB. But i really don't want anyone to know where my base is becasue I am a Necromancer otherwise I will have to kill all the peasants for knowing where the batcave is

Is there a reason killing the peasants who know where the batcave is is a problem? It seems like a particularly attractive option for a necromancer, because you'd get a bunch of corpses to animate as well.

Zephonim
2016-03-03, 03:17 PM
Is there a reason killing the peasants who know where the batcave is is a problem? It seems like a particularly attractive option for a necromancer, because you'd get a bunch of corpses to animate as well.

Because people ask where all those peasant workers who went out to work in the swamp went

Inevitability
2016-03-03, 03:17 PM
Rockburst is a decent way to tunnel through solid rock, especially if you can talk your DM into allowing you to disintegrate any amount of matter in any shape. Just have some kind of protection against the flying stones.

Cerefel
2016-03-03, 03:24 PM
Instead of hiring commoners, you could just order your undead to start hauling mud. No need to worry about information leaks from your workforce.

Telonius
2016-03-03, 03:39 PM
Because people ask where all those peasant workers who went out to work in the swamp went

And then it runs the risk into turning into one of those plans (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20031017#.VtigpfkrKHs).

If you can manage it, though, undead are a much more reliable workforce. They don't need things like food, water, pay, or rest.

Segev
2016-03-03, 03:48 PM
Have you considered pre-owned? Clearing out a nice dungeon and claiming it as your base of operations seems like a reasonable approach, to me.

Jormengand
2016-03-03, 03:55 PM
What level of spells are you able to use? And are you allowing alternatives to an underground base (ie, does it specifically need to be underground, or does it matter if it's in the plane of earth instead, or are you just saying underground because you need to lie low for a while)?

Once I know this, I can start to help.

Ruethgar
2016-03-03, 04:37 PM
Mining works fine if you can get your skill insanely high or grant your undead the ability to mine. Servant Horde/Unseen Servant/Wood Wose/Unseen Crafter can all mine just fine. Do note however, that you need to always be able to make a DC 20 Knowledge Engineering check to make sure it wont cave in. Take 10 on Autohypnosis for memory with 4 ranks and then Lucid Dream a perfect library of info gets you +8 to all Knowledge checks if you are given enough time to recollect, assume Int 5 and 6 ranks and you have +19.

Zephonim
2016-03-09, 07:45 PM
What level of spells are you able to use? And are you allowing alternatives to an underground base (ie, does it specifically need to be underground, or does it matter if it's in the plane of earth instead, or are you just saying underground because you need to lie low for a while)?

Once I know this, I can start to help.

I need a place to store my undead minions. Plane shifting from what I hear is rather hard in my gm's setting requiring alignments of the stars and **** and going to specific ley lines and ****.

Necromancy is a bit illegal and the paladins of the sun god are in the area and the area is already infested with undead but I want a secure location to store them...

Especially because there has been an undead incident involved with a Demon who took control of a Fort and a Gold Mine and slaughtered hundreds if not thousands of people. It also summons locusts that turn people into vampires

Although the swamp does naturally raise zombies... unrelated to the demon.

I'll be frank I lost my largest undead minion recently but I plan to get new ones. I had a Huge sized Vulture Hippogryff i was riding. My DM was shocked when I killed the thing so easily. He uses max hp rules so I had a 240 hp flying beast.

Zephonim
2016-03-09, 09:38 PM
Mining works fine if you can get your skill insanely high or grant your undead the ability to mine. Servant Horde/Unseen Servant/Wood Wose/Unseen Crafter can all mine just fine. Do note however, that you need to always be able to make a DC 20 Knowledge Engineering check to make sure it wont cave in. Take 10 on Autohypnosis for memory with 4 ranks and then Lucid Dream a perfect library of info gets you +8 to all Knowledge checks if you are given enough time to recollect, assume Int 5 and 6 ranks and you have +19.

I have Divine Insight +14 in another level it will be +15.

What the hell is lucid dreaming? I can't seem to find any info on it.

I heard Autohypnosis is super good but I don't have any proof of this