PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Plane-Jumping Campaign. Tweaking Travel

dascarletm
2016-03-03, 01:38 PM
Alright, so I have been wanting to do a plane-jumping campaign with a multiverse of my own design, and I want to tweak planar travel in a way that makes it more interesting.

First, the breakdown of the cosmology.

4 "Layers" of planes. Think of them as parts of a sphere.

Peripheral - Special planes outside of the main groupings. They hold a specific purpose and are usually very hard to get to. Things like the afterlife and demi-planes are here.
Exterior - Stable material plane like planes. Stable physics, differences are minor. Some group up into clusters that have stable long lasting portals between
Median - Malleable changing planes. People usually can force a minor degree of control over the laws of physics, but not much.
Interior - These planes defy the laws of physics and logic entirely. Most things that exist here defy logic such as Lovecraftian horrors or beings that exist purely as concepts.

I want travel to be progressively harder when moving deeper and deeper, but I don't just want that to be represented by higher level spells required. So here is what I am going to do for this campaign, and if anyone wants to give any input that would be great

Planar Travel
Traveling between planes is different than normal. Items will exist at varying prices that will allow you to travel between planes, but they will usually be limited in their ability to go between layers.
I will create some single use / per day use items, and I will also homebrew some items specific for classes that don't normally get magic to use. Example: A weapon ability that allows you to make attack rolls against the fabric of reality to open rifts between planes. Difficulty will go up to make the rip last longer, or to travel to more restricted planes.

Spells: I'm going to add some lower level spells that allow transport between closely linked planes. Also, spells that already exist might require caster level checks + more restrictive focuses to move between layers. I'm not quite sure what would be the best method to do this.

Anyway if anyone has any ideas or experience running multi-plane campaigns I'd love to see it.

Thanks.

dascarletm
2016-03-03, 04:09 PM
Here are some specifics for the changes to planeshift

Plane Shift

1. The focus component to this spell is optional. Having one gives you a +2 bonus when using spellcraft as part of this spell (see below)
2. When traveling between linked planes, or planes in the same cluster, you do not need to make a spellcraft check. Otherwise you will need to make one as part of casting this spell.
3. Traveling between non-linked planes or planes in different layers require a spellcraft check. The base DC is 15 with adjustments made according to the chart below (I will probably need to adjust the numbers)

1 Layer Away
+5

2 Layers Away
+15

Made a DC 20 Knowledge (Planes)check to draw an appropriate sigil when casting

Use something originally from the plane as an additional focus when casting

Planar disturbances impeding travel to that specific plane
+2 to +10

Peripheral Plane
+20