PDA

View Full Version : Dragonborn's Dragon Breath (Line) and Creatures providing cover.

Saumy
2016-03-03, 04:44 PM
Just a quick question, in 5e it mentions in the PHB that creatures provide half cover to other creatures, if they are in the line of fire of an attack.

My question is, Does this count for a Dragonborn's dragon breath as well and all spells (especially 'Line' type spells)? Each creature in line after the first one gets a +2 AC (for having half cover)?

Tried googling an answer for this specific question and couldn't really find it. Sorry if its a repeat.

If there isn't an exact answer, just kinda throw me some suggestions on how you would handle it. :) Thanks!

Tanarii
2016-03-03, 04:56 PM
A Line effect extends from the point of origin to the target(s), so long as it isn't blocked by total cover.
A Cone effect extends from the point of origin to the target(s), so long as it isn't blocked by total cover.
(Both rules in Chapter 10, Spellcasting, Area of Effect)

1/2 and 3/4 cover provides a bonus to Dex saving throws only. (Not Con or other saves.)
Creatures (friends or enemies) provide 1/2 cover (+2 to Dex save)
(Both rules in Chapter 9, Combat, Cover)

Does that answer your questions?

Foxhound438
2016-03-03, 05:27 PM
for a concise and direct answer, yes that would count. all of the phb dragonborns with line breath target dex saves, so the 2nd, 3rd, etc targets will all get +2 to their save. the cold and poison cone breaths are slightly better for that reason, on top of the fact that most things you'll want to breath on will be low-con mook piles.

Saumy
2016-03-03, 06:28 PM
Thank both of you for your answers! I appreciate it. We are playing tomorrow (5e for the first time) and i like to try to prep myself and reread everything and somehow it popped into my head for the first time today and was like.. "uh oh how should i handle this exactly" and was unable to find exactly a clear enough answer that i felt comfortable with.

I was prepared to just rule it as so, until i could delve deeper, as i kind of always like getting a few opinions on the matter before I make it locked in.

Tanarii
2016-03-03, 06:40 PM
for a concise and direct answerhahahahaha got me there

Joe the Rat
2016-03-04, 09:43 AM
While it makes sense, That pretty much makes the line breath weapons complete crap, as opposed to mostly crap. You maybe get one guy, and probably do 1/2 damage to a couple others (while mr heartburn can flambe everyone equally).

If you want to give a counter-rationale:

Dex Saves are about getting out of the way. If you're getting out of the way, you aren't providing cover. This also sets up the badass maneuver of forgoing your save to provide cover to your friends. Heck, I'd let anyone stupid courageous enough to get point blank to a flaming cone and take it give "cover" to the rest.

Electricity is some crazy stuff. It's all arcing and bouncing and flowing around (or through) everything. There is no cover.
It's like Dr. Malcolm said: "Lightning finds a way." Or something like that.

Tanarii
2016-03-04, 10:43 AM
It's only a +2 to save. That's 10% more chance of taking half instead of full, or .35 DPR reduction (at first level), for each target after the first. That's not good, but it's not terrible either. And the advantage is you can use it to target 1 or more targets further away than 15 ft.

Edit: I kind of like a house-rule of only getting the +2 to save if the creature in front of you failed it's save though. :)

Zalabim
2016-03-05, 03:56 AM
Dex Saves are about getting out of the way. If you're getting out of the way, you aren't providing cover. This also sets up the badass maneuver of forgoing your save to provide cover to your friends. Heck, I'd let anyone stupid courageous enough to get point blank to a flaming cone and take it give "cover" to the rest.

Since a successful save doesn't make you get out of the way, I view a save for half against these effects as taking it on a less sensitive or vulnerable part of your body. It's blocking, but you still take chip damage. Maybe you hunker down under your cloak or shield or turn away from the blast to present a narrower profile. At least you covered your face. You aren't dodging in place. Unless you have Evasion, maybe.