PDA

View Full Version : Index Help on Druid templates

TrollinOtter
2016-03-03, 05:17 PM
Hello, everyone! So my friends and I have been playing D&D for a while and I have just heard about templates( I'm Pretty dumb:smallbiggrin:). One of my friends is begining to DM and this is my first time playing a druid. Any good Druid templates?

JNAProductions
2016-03-03, 05:27 PM
Druids don't really need help. But that being said, have you considered Half-Fey? It's thematic.

johnbragg
2016-03-03, 05:31 PM
Hello, everyone! So my friends and I have been playing D&D for a while and I have just heard about templates( I'm Pretty dumb:smallbiggrin:). One of my friends is begining to DM and this is my first time playing a druid. Any good Druid templates?

Short answer: You're a Druid, a very powerful character class. You're a very powerful spellcaster for your level, you're a pretty good fighter, you have a very useful Animal Companion and, at level 5 you start Wild Shaping into all kinds of useful forms with all kinds of different, useful abilities. You don't need a template.

Templates are usually things you use to modify a monster. If you get turned into a vampire or a lycanthrope, you apply the vampire or lycanthrope template to your character--ability scores get raised and lowered, Hit Dice can change (if you become undead, your HD all change to d12s), you pick up skill bonuses, special abilities, etc.

The second-most common use of templates is to make monsters tougher and/or more interesting. Ogre, CR 4, yawn. Oh, wait, that's an Advanced HAlf-Fiendish Fire-infused Ogre, technically a CR 7.

I used templates from the Pathfinder SRD
Advanced adds +2 to all stats
Half-Fiendish adds 2 claws-and-a-bite attacks, plus wings, and some other stuff (energy resistances, Smite Good)
Fire-infused adds d6 of fire damage to all melee attacks.

People will debate back and forth whether, after you add the templates and adjust the CR, whether the CR number is reliable compared to monsters of the same CR right out of the book. Your DM should start slowly and use their judgement. The flying, claw-and-biting-with-fire ogre-based thing above is VERY low on hit points for a CR 7, because it still has the base of 4 HD, just getting a little more from higher Constitution.

Belzyk
2016-03-03, 06:00 PM
Play a neutral evil druid and take the feat that gives you a rabid companion that spreads red fever with a DC 16 I love playing druids lol. Throw on a unceele fey templete with the winter abilitie. It'll cause you to have an awsome constant aura. Dragonwraught greatwyrm kobold unceele fey druid. Awsome small dragon that has a dire mongoose beast and can become a beast.

eggynack
2016-03-03, 07:34 PM
There are a few, mostly from dragon magazines, all that I'm aware of listed in my sigged handbook. The big thing to druid templating is that you want no LA, because the best thing for a druid is more druid (or otherwise things similar enough to druid that they work fine). Most templates do have LA, so if you're taking an optimization focused approach, then most templates can be tossed out immediately. The saint template from the book of exalted deeds is... alright for +2 LA, but it's incredibly unlikely to be better than no saint. Anyway, beyond that, just check out the handbook, cause anything I'd suggest now is a subset of the things I have there, and the stuff I have there isn't so massive that taking subsets of it is necessary.