PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How to be the baddest bad guy of them all?

djwood
2016-03-03, 11:25 PM
Good whatever to everyone! So some friends and I are looking to start a Pathfinder campaign soon, got a nice high-fantasy setting with some detailed backstory. For this campaign, I was thinking about playing a lordly/noble Evil type of character (very different to my usual character style), and I imagine a young noble to be well-educated in a few academic subjects (Knowledge skills), and be fairly influential (diplomacy or intimidate). I was wondering if anyone had any other thoughts? Suggestions for feats etc would also be mighty handy! And thanks in advance. (I'm building a full on buff support)

In all my table top life, I've never played anything other than true neutral or neutral good character. I'm that kind of guy that will help a small foreign village rebuild a church even if my character is atheist. Or would jump in and take the hit* to save a small child even if I'm a wizard with 15 AC at level 8, I get praises in and out game and become a hero. But I want to try something new. Something no one would see coming. I want to be the "evil all along"* type of character. The type of guy that wouldn't be suspected of doing anything wrong. But I want to do it right, I want a perfect back stabbing plan of all time.
 The twistiest plot twist of them all.

Basically we are gonna start a new campaign (same buddies, different DM) where, in the dark ages, humanoids and deities don't get along. And humanoids are starting to learn how to dethrone the gods or at least make them run for their money. We are group that might save the world or des'troy it (I know my pals, they are gonna try to save it). Note that, we are still in the beginning stages of the Divine war. So everything is not hectic. I don't know what are the races or classes of my group, but I was thinking of making a human bard. That comes from a noble family (easy way to get access to noble status things) and would try to start little mining companies probably coal or magnetite. (Income goal is to make and sell compasses, magnetic boots, magnetic shields, etc.). My DM told me that there's an underground black market.

My diabolical plan will probably be forming an organization *I have no clue what to call me evil organization* kinda like the Akatsuki (from naruto) or the Espada (from bleach). That little by little will achieve world domination and/or become kings of the heavens. But me and my character have yet any idea how to achieve it yet. Hope some of you guys could help. So to resume all this.

1. How to be efficient bad guy without no one noticing? (I doubt there's a paladin with us.)
2. What's the best way to create an evil organization that my followers will follow without the need to disobey me? (Basically before getting the leadership feat.)
3. Good names for a evil god killing group?
4. What are your ideas in taking over the world?

Thanks in advance!

Secret Wizard
2016-03-04, 03:44 AM
No one has done this better than Berserk.

The goal to be an effective bad guy all along is to have other characters root for you because of your determination and affability, but all you have to do is be a heartless **** when it matters, just once, to become a reviled villain.

The secret is how much you let others down.

Âmesang
2016-03-04, 09:16 AM
1. Bluff. Lots of Bluff. Heck, no one says bards can't be bad; it'll give you means of influencing people as well as Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), and Sense Motive as class skills. You could always take Perform (oratory) for BBEG speeches.
2. Don't be Freeza and needlessly kill your servants. "Oh, look, that minion died. We'll continue this conversation never." Support your troops and they'll (theoretically) support you.
3. I've always wanted to use the name "Death's Eclipse" for something, probably for some thief/assassin guild. I just think it sounds cool, even if the name doesn't really make any sense.
4. My current BBEGirl desires to unlock the secrets of "Power Magic" (epic magic?) wielded by her ancestors, the Suel Imperium, culminating in her discovering "mundane" abilities like Slerotin's passage… or more horrific powers like the Invoked Devastation.

Granted, I don't necessarily see her as the "world conquering" type, just someone who loves power and is exceptionally vain, who's happy with the knowledge that she can end it (though probably a good idea to not let anyone else know!). Honestly, being world ruler sounds like too much trouble; putting down rebels, enacting laws… unless you just eliminate all governments and reduce the whole world to "survival of the fittest." I think she'd just stick to be a wealthy and exceptionally powerful socialite.

Telonius
2016-03-04, 09:29 AM
1. You've got a good start already; doing "good" deeds (out of enlightened self-interest) is one of the best ways of ensuring that Evil goes undetected. So some practical advice on how to actually do some Evil actions without causing too much notice. First, find some targets that are acceptable to your team. Could be a rival adventuring party, could be some goblins, whatever. That's the direction you want to steer your Evil tendencies.
2. This is generally referred to as "my adventuring party." You're with them because it furthers your interests. A major goal of yours is to keep these chumps on your side and supporting you. If you can, create some team-building opportunities (i.e. being chased out of town with pitchforks and torches, thrown out of the tavern, etc) that are more or less their fault. Depending on the party, this can be relatively easy, and may happen spontaneously. Make sure they see you as always siding with them.
3. Let one of the other people in the party create the team name. Bonus points if it sounds innocuous, boring, or Good-aligned.
4. The world wants to be ruled. It's your job to make sure it realizes that you're the person for the job.

Florian
2016-03-04, 11:09 AM
*Laughs*

Please, do yourself the favor an watch two movies first: Godfather and Sin City.

It is pretty important that "evil" does not equal "mono-maniacal sadistic and dumb", nor is it "the cool killer" a la Riddick.
The "good evil" is the party Face, takes the lead and shoulders the responsibility for decision-making. He can explain his decisions and sugar-coat the bitter pill with reasonable arguments, cost-benefit calculations and a wounded look at other people, meaning "how can you be so dumb?".

Your alignment is LE. You place a premium on family, friendship, fraternity and loyalty. You promote the "us" at any cost.

You attract the underdogs, the dregs of society, those left behind and give them a place in the world, a sense of power and purpose. You create the "us". Cosa Nostra or Fight Club? Your choice, no difference in the long run.

You "Fight the Good Fight", but wherever you go, you pick up the strays, empower the orphans, talk to the lost and build up your family. You don´t need a name. You are "us" and we will rule.

Telonius
2016-03-04, 11:50 AM
One thing to note on the alignment - remember that Bards who become Lawful cannot add more levels of Bard, though they do retain their abilities. (Personally I houserule away this restriction, but that's the official rule). Neutral Evil Bard would be fine; Beguiler would be another class with a similar spell list that can be LE.

LoyalPaladin
2016-03-04, 11:56 AM
You should take a look at the Lawful Evil Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?448542-Compliance-Will-Be-Rewarded-A-Guide-to-Lawful-Evil). On that note... Red Fel, Red Fel, Red Fel.

TheCreatorT
2016-03-04, 01:00 PM
If this is a true dark ages setting, you could marry off your daughters/sons to other nobles, gain power that way. Then, when the time comes, their partners have 'accidents,' or when in a more Lawful manner force them out of office; scandals, secrets. etc. Extend you family to all corners.

Your name for your organization? Shadowsteps? That name is infamous to me, but for your purposes it may work.

Hamste
2016-03-04, 01:02 PM
A few tips from what little I know about how good evil characters work.

1. Don't try too hard. I mean you could be a puppy kicker if you really want to be but be prepared for no one to take you seriously or look at you like your an idiot. Evil should be done for benefit not for evlulz.

2. Make your evil organization look good. Invest in orphanages, clear out local "menaces" and when the time comes for you to start taking over remind them exactly how much good you did.

3. For both party and organization names do not include words like death, cult, murder or anything associated with wanton violence or brutality. Not only will you have trouble getting followers but a rebellion is inevitable if you name yourself the "Empire of Blood". Light's Justice or the Holy Lances gives a good vibe with out really meaning anything.

4. Propaganda is king. Sure you may have destroyed the order of LG paladins or had your soldiers slaughter defenseless villagers. That shouldn't be the stories your followers hear though. You killed dissidents, bandits, cultists or an army bent on destroying their way of life. People who think they are doing right are much more likely to follow you and have a good morale.

GreyBlack
2016-03-04, 01:36 PM
Good whatever to everyone! So some friends and I are looking to start a Pathfinder campaign soon, got a nice high-fantasy setting with some detailed backstory. For this campaign, I was thinking about playing a lordly/noble Evil type of character (very different to my usual character style), and I imagine a young noble to be well-educated in a few academic subjects (Knowledge skills), and be fairly influential (diplomacy or intimidate). I was wondering if anyone had any other thoughts? Suggestions for feats etc would also be mighty handy! And thanks in advance. (I'm building a full on buff support)

In all my table top life, I've never played anything other than true neutral or neutral good character. I'm that kind of guy that will help a small foreign village rebuild a church even if my character is atheist. Or would jump in and take the hit* to save a small child even if I'm a wizard with 15 AC at level 8, I get praises in and out game and become a hero. But I want to try something new. Something no one would see coming. I want to be the "evil all along"* type of character. The type of guy that wouldn't be suspected of doing anything wrong. But I want to do it right, I want a perfect back stabbing plan of all time.

Basically we are gonna start a new campaign (same buddies, different DM) where, in the dark ages, humanoids and deities don't get along. And humanoids are starting to learn how to dethrone the gods or at least make them run for their money. We are group that might save the world or des'troy it (I know my pals, they are gonna try to save it). Note that, we are still in the beginning stages of the Divine war. So everything is not hectic. I don't know what are the races or classes of my group, but I was thinking of making a human bard. That comes from a noble family (easy way to get access to noble status things) and would try to start little mining companies probably coal or magnetite. (Income goal is to make and sell compasses, magnetic boots, magnetic shields, etc.). My DM told me that there's an underground black market.

My diabolical plan will probably be forming an organization *I have no clue what to call me evil organization* kinda like the Akatsuki (from naruto) or the Espada (from bleach). That little by little will achieve world domination and/or become kings of the heavens. But me and my character have yet any idea how to achieve it yet. Hope some of you guys could help. So to resume all this.

1. How to be efficient bad guy without no one noticing? (I doubt there's a paladin with us.)
2. What's the best way to create an evil organization that my followers will follow without the need to disobey me? (Basically before getting the leadership feat.)

Thanks in advance!

It's incredibly easy to play Evil in a Good campaign. First of all, for ease, I recommend playing Lawful Evil. Doing so affords you access to the Chessmaster trope, which you can use to your advantage. Begin by not being overtly evil. Act strictly within the laws of whatever country, and use those laws to your advantage. For example, you cannot be tried for theft without direct evidence of such a theft. No one saw you breaking and entering, after all, and anyone who did happens to meet an untimely end.

Secondly, play it slow. Don't start your game by jumping on a rooftop and gunning down a civilian. Rather, bargain with the merchants. Maybe coerce them into "lending" you some of the merchandise. After all, it would certainly be a shame if something happened to their storefront, wouldn't it?

Third, and some will call shenanigans on me here, but HAVE AN EVIL LAIR! No, seriously! You have to have a domain which no one else in your party can access where you can commit all sorts of horrible deeds. My recommendation is a small cottage just outside of town, with pristinely kept hedges. Never mind what happens in your basement. The fact of the matter is that you are beyond suspicion for any evil acts you perform as long as you can keep it hidden.

Finally, there will be a time when someone notices you being Evil during the game. Have a contingency for this. You will not be able to hribe or bluff everyone. Here, you either need to make the event "disappear", casting a spell like Mind Rape/epic bluff checks, or you will have to murder all the witnesses. Either way will keep you safe.

Oh, and one last thing? Butchering the body and selling the meat to a local butcher as an "exotic meat" (my go-to is Bulette) is an effective method of shifting the blame.

Red Fel
2016-03-04, 03:00 PM
You should take a look at the Lawful Evil Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?448542-Compliance-Will-Be-Rewarded-A-Guide-to-Lawful-Evil). On that note... Red Fel, Red Fel, Red Fel.

http://5c2ae22a2acf720d7d71-1d99c5f63c95ad131cac8c4756b4a9c2.r6.cf1.rackcdn.co m/assets/524d71532eed9_How-I-met-your-mother.gif

Oh, LP. You didn't have to call me. I was already here. I was always here.

I'm not going to throw out crunch ideas. You can get those anyplace, from people with more system mastery than I. Instead, however, I'll help you with the character fluff.

Be careful where you step, friend. Playing an Evil character alongside a bunch of Good ones is easy. But playing one who was "Evil all along," who betrays them at the last moment, is a recipe for disaster. As a general rule, such a character basically has to be retired shortly after the reveal, particularly because such a reveal generally involves a pretty substantial betrayal.

It's possible, of course, but prepare to burn some bridges.

Big problem. Your party wants to save the world. The best time to betray someone is on the verge of their triumph. Which means towards the end of the campaign, possibly the very last moment. You're going to wait out the campaign, then screw them over.

Bridges will burn, most assuredly.

And that's before you consider the fact that it will sharply bend your character arc. It's one thing to be a secret baddie and occasionally indulge. But if your ultimate goal is to thwart the party, you have to have been actively supporting them from the get-go. There is no foreshadowing of this change. Which on the one hand makes it pretty powerful and emotional, but on the other means that it may come from so far afield that it could read as spiteful and contrarian, rather than good character play. So keep that in mind.

Thanks in advance!

1. The easiest way is asides with the DM. Passing notes, or using e-mail or text, during a session so that the DM knows what you're really doing. Additionally, some after-session mini-sessions, either in person or by e-mail, can enable a cooperative DM to ensure your plans continue to move and impact the plot. This requires the DM to be fully on-board, however - without DM cooperation, this becomes almost impossible.

2. Motivation. A leader promises his followers something worthwhile, and shows the ability to deliver on his promises. So, figure out why you want to take over the world (ProTip: "Because it's there" doesn't motivate people), and then bring like-minded individuals onboard.

3. Always something positive. Positive gets great PR. "The Hand of Man," for example, suggests strength and promise, when it's really about mankind committing deicide.

4. Too numerous to list. One involves low-orbital satellites that emit the brown noise over major metropolitan areas. I've given the subject a lot of thought.

Don't judge me. Everyone needs hobbies.

*Laughs*

Please, do yourself the favor an watch two movies first: Godfather and Sin City.

It is pretty important that "evil" does not equal "mono-maniacal sadistic and dumb", nor is it "the cool killer" a la Riddick.
The "good evil" is the party Face, takes the lead and shoulders the responsibility for decision-making. He can explain his decisions and sugar-coat the bitter pill with reasonable arguments, cost-benefit calculations and a wounded look at other people, meaning "how can you be so dumb?".

Your alignment is LE. You place a premium on family, friendship, fraternity and loyalty. You promote the "us" at any cost.

You attract the underdogs, the dregs of society, those left behind and give them a place in the world, a sense of power and purpose. You create the "us". Cosa Nostra or Fight Club? Your choice, no difference in the long run.

You "Fight the Good Fight", but wherever you go, you pick up the strays, empower the orphans, talk to the lost and build up your family. You don´t need a name. You are "us" and we will rule.

Very much this. LE is known to be tyrannical, but frequently they do so for the benefit of the organization. You hurt my people, you hurt me. You fail the organization, you fail me personally. They're one and the same. Followers of an LE leader ("Put the LE in LEadership!") know that while failure may cost them, success will always be rewarded, and those who are loyal to the group earn the loyalty of the group. Get as good as you give.

1. Don't try too hard. I mean you could be a puppy kicker if you really want to be but be prepared for no one to take you seriously or look at you like your an idiot. Evil should be done for benefit not for evlulz.

2. Make your evil organization look good. Invest in orphanages, clear out local "menaces" and when the time comes for you to start taking over remind them exactly how much good you did.

3. For both party and organization names do not include words like death, cult, murder or anything associated with wanton violence or brutality. Not only will you have trouble getting followers but a rebellion is inevitable if you name yourself the "Empire of Blood". Light's Justice or the Holy Lances gives a good vibe with out really meaning anything.

4. Propaganda is king. Sure you may have destroyed the order of LG paladins or had your soldiers slaughter defenseless villagers. That shouldn't be the stories your followers hear though. You killed dissidents, bandits, cultists or an army bent on destroying their way of life. People who think they are doing right are much more likely to follow you and have a good morale.

Very much this as well. PR is a tool like any other. An LE generally, and an LE leader in particular, makes use of every tool at his disposal, whether it's a sword, a spell, a person, or a few carefully-chosen words.

I often hold the Church of Hextor out as a classic example. In D&D, it is one of the few - if not only - Evil religions that operates openly. Why? Because in any city where the Church of Hextor predominates, there is peace. People are healthy, fit, and educated; crime is an absolute minimum; military might is unparalleled and respected. The LE church creates order out of chaos, albeit at the point of a sword, creating a symbiosis - the people want Hextorites there, because Hextorites make their home better, even at the cost of some liberty. That's why people follow LE - because it has great PR.

Ultimately, it's probably going to be easier to play an openly-Evil character whom they adore despite his Evil than to play a scheming backstabber who ruins the whole game at the last minute. Evil isn't about backstabbing; it's about getting what you want at somebody else's expense. There's no reason your party has to shoulder that cost. Evil that betrays the party is petty and short-lived; Evil that earns the support and protection of the party is prosperous and glorious.

Âmesang
2016-03-04, 03:20 PM
Don't try too hard. I mean you could be a puppy kicker if you really want to be…
So a silly idea came to mind; how about, instead of a villain that kicks puppies, you have a villain that blames puppies for all of the recent atrocities… and somehow convinces people it's true? :smalltongue:

I mean if people can blame a cow for starting the Great Chicago Fire…

GreyBlack
2016-03-04, 03:49 PM
So a silly idea came to mind; how about, instead of a villain that kicks puppies, you have a villain that blames puppies for all of the recent atrocities… and somehow convinces people it's true? :smalltongue:

I mean if people can blame a cow for starting the Great Chicago Fire…

....... I am now envisioning Hitler railing against the evils of puppies. Complete with camps.

Âmesang
2016-03-04, 04:41 PM
Naturally! Why else would super villains prefer cats? :smallbiggrin:

martixy
2016-03-04, 05:35 PM
Btw, have you seen The Legend of Korra season 1?

Amon exemplifies much of what Fel is talking about.

djwood
2016-03-04, 07:51 PM
First off, I just want to say thank you to everyone who posted on this. You help is really appreciated. And sorry that I took me so long to reply people!

1. You've got a good start already; doing "good" deeds (out of enlightened self-interest) is one of the best ways of ensuring that Evil goes undetected. So some practical advice on how to actually do some Evil actions without causing too much notice. First, find some targets that are acceptable to your team. Could be a rival adventuring party, could be some goblins, whatever. That's the direction you want to steer your Evil tendencies.
2. This is generally referred to as "my adventuring party." You're with them because it furthers your interests. A major goal of yours is to keep these chumps on your side and supporting you. If you can, create some team-building opportunities (i.e. being chased out of town with pitchforks and torches, thrown out of the tavern, etc) that are more or less their fault. Depending on the party, this can be relatively easy, and may happen spontaneously. Make sure they see you as always siding with them.
3. Let one of the other people in the party create the team name. Bonus points if it sounds innocuous, boring, or Good-aligned.
4. The world wants to be ruled. It's your job to make sure it realizes that you're the person for the job.

1 and 3. My first three levels, I'm gonna help poor churches and orphanages. While my good deeds gain reputation. I'll be secretly scouting for new subordinates. Seeing who has potential and who doesn't. Plus I talked to my DM and I'll gain one cohort from the start (even if I'm starting level one). And he will be my second in command. He will gain street knowledge of everything going down, he will know black market dealers and offer them jobs. My underground organization will be run by him. He will be "the big boss". Maybe I didn't explain it well, but the party that MY character is gonna follow are PCs (my group of friends) sure we'll come up with a name eventually, but what I'm looking for is a name for my underground organization that's (hopefully filled with NPCs) gonna take over the world. I'm basically plotting to rule the world right under their noses.

2 . They're goal is to save every village they come across. My goal is to learn the villages main resources, political stand point, how naturally resourceful can they be for me. Mapping out ways to easily invade and conquer, if needed. Yes, I'll help them with what ever problem they have, but that's to earn their trust!

4. Very true, do you have ideas how to start?

1. Bluff. Lots of Bluff. Heck, no one says bards can't be bad; it'll give you means of influencing people as well as Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), and Sense Motive as class skills. You could always take Perform (oratory) for BBEG speeches.
2. Don't be Freeza and needlessly kill your servants. "Oh, look, that minion died. We'll continue this conversation never." Support your troops and they'll (theoretically) support you.
3. I've always wanted to use the name "Death's Eclipse" for something, probably for some thief/assassin guild. I just think it sounds cool, even if the name doesn't really make any sense.
4. My current BBEGirl desires to unlock the secrets of "Power Magic" (epic magic?) wielded by her ancestors, the Suel Imperium, culminating in her discovering "mundane" abilities like Slerotin's passage… or more horrific powers like the Invoked Devastation.

Granted, I don't necessarily see her as the "world conquering" type, just someone who loves power and is exceptionally vain, who's happy with the knowledge that she can end it (though probably a good idea to not let anyone else know!). Honestly, being world ruler sounds like too much trouble; putting down rebels, enacting laws… unless you just eliminate all governments and reduce the whole world to "survival of the fittest." I think she'd just stick to be a wealthy and exceptionally powerful socialite.

1. You are absolutely right. For my level one character has +9 bluff and diplomacy, +10 knowledge (geography, history and nobility) and has +12 knowledge local. So I know the 411 on everything ! (Yes, I even know that Tracy slept with the priest last Wednesday. Latrisha told me!) hahah!
2. I thought about doing the frieza route, but you could tell his army would of betray him if they had a change. And in the beginning of resurrection F , they were taking their sweet time to revive him. Honestly, even if I'm gonna play a evil bad guy if one of my own die. I will do a proper secret funeral for him and comfort the family. I'm that good guy bad guy
3. Nice name! I might not use it for my organization, but I would definitely call a group of my top assassins Death Eclipse Five for example. And they're signature would be blood on the wall written out D.E.F or something of the sort, but I will use it no doubt!

Thank you brother for your answer,but gotta ask what does BBEG stand for?

*Laughs*

Lol, actually never watched any of the two movies you suggested. What do they have in common friend? And I thought about attracting the underdogs in life, but I don't see myself saying " hey! Are you tired of being a bum of society? Do find life unfair for you? Because you're not rich enough? Smart enough? Or even strong enough for societies standards? Well join me and others like you. Why join? Because one drop of water falling from the sky doesn't change anybody's day, but 100 drops or even 10 000 drops will have them running for shelter." I don't even know if that would work haha. How would you do it? How would you start and how would you finish?

If this is a true dark ages setting, you could marry off your daughters/sons to other nobles, gain power that way. Then, when the time comes, their partners have 'accidents,' or when in a more Lawful manner force them out of office; scandals, secrets. etc. Extend you family to all corners.

Your name for your organization? Shadowsteps? That name is infamous to me, but for your purposes it may work.

I thought about that, but I'm thinking of making a young adult. Because no one would suspect the young adult running the show. You know? When we think about great masterminds we think of old man who have years of experience manipulating the weak minded.

1. The fact I'm literally asking help on a website, I know no one from my game could find by coincidence. I'm not here for the evil Lulz! You won't see me kicking puppies on purpose. Not even the worst bad guy would do such a thing xD
2. The thing is my organization is gonna be formed in the shadows. Like the Akatsuki. I want the other street gangs to fear and join me.
3. Have something in mind?
4. True! Mind going in depth in what you are saying?

Âmesang
2016-03-05, 02:17 AM
Big Bad Evil Guy :smallsmile:

Florian
2016-03-05, 02:35 AM
Thank you brother for your answer,but gotta ask what does BBEG stand for?

Lol, actually never watched any of the two movies you suggested. What do they have in common friend? And I thought about attracting the underdogs in life, but I don't see myself saying " hey! Are you tired of being a bum of society? Do find life unfair for you? Because you're not rich enough? Smart enough? Or even strong enough for societies standards? Well join me and others like you. Why join? Because one drop of water falling from the sky doesn't change anybody's day, but 100 drops or even 10 000 drops will have them running for shelter." I don't even know if that would work haha. How would you do it? How would you start and how would you finish?

BBEG = Big Bad Evil Guy.

Both movies showcase how two aspects of evil work.
Godfather portraits the rise of a Mafia leader, how he builds up his "family" and how he gets more ruthless the more power is involved.
Sin City has the internal monologue of the main characters, how they rationalize things for themselves, how they cling together and the way they see what they do as the only available means.

As for the rest, where do you think the Mafia, Vory, Cartels, Yakuza and so on come from?
Reread what Red Fel wrote earlier about how LE societies work and what very specific aspects play a role here, then the example I´ll give you will be clearer.

Imagine you grow up in a poor quarter of the city. Unemployment is high, life is squalid, the city watch doesn´t care and the people can´t even afford to pay alms for a cleric to get some healing magic done.
Now imagine that you notice your elderly neighbor having trouble with the landlord. There´s a serious rise in the rent and she can´t afford that, she goes homeless. Now, having a heart of gold, you decide to help here. You´ll visit the landlord and have a serious talk to him, involving your fist and his face. He relents.
Your neighbor spreads the word that you´re a go-to guy and the only thing you expect is a favor offered in the future for a favor done now.
That caravan guard who lost his job due to push addiction? You get him a job at the butcher, a guy who owes you.
That guy who's daughter was sexually assaulted and the city watch doesn´t care? you take your buddy, the caravan guard, along to have a nice little meeting with a certain guy and make pretty damn sure that this will never happen again.

And so the web of influence grows....

FocusWolf413
2016-03-05, 09:28 AM
Red Fel, are you old enough to be President? Can I write you in on the general election ballot? Your descriptions of Lawful Evil societies are just too convincing.

djwood
2016-03-06, 11:04 AM
BBEG = Big Bad Evil Guy.

Both movies showcase how two aspects of evil work.
Godfather portraits the rise of a Mafia leader, how he builds up his "family" and how he gets more ruthless the more power is involved.
Sin City has the internal monologue of the main characters, how they rationalize things for themselves, how they cling together and the way they see what they do as the only available means.

As for the rest, where do you think the Mafia, Vory, Cartels, Yakuza and so on come from?
Reread what Red Fel wrote earlier about how LE societies work and what very specific aspects play a role here, then the example I´ll give you will be clearer.

Imagine you grow up in a poor quarter of the city. Unemployment is high, life is squalid, the city watch doesn´t care and the people can´t even afford to pay alms for a cleric to get some healing magic done.
Now imagine that you notice your elderly neighbor having trouble with the landlord. There´s a serious rise in the rent and she can´t afford that, she goes homeless. Now, having a heart of gold, you decide to help here. You´ll visit the landlord and have a serious talk to him, involving your fist and his face. He relents.
Your neighbor spreads the word that you´re a go-to guy and the only thing you expect is a favor offered in the future for a favor done now.
That caravan guard who lost his job due to push addiction? You get him a job at the butcher, a guy who owes you.
That guy who's daughter was sexually assaulted and the city watch doesn´t care? you take your buddy, the caravan guard, along to have a nice little meeting with a certain guy and make pretty damn sure that this will never happen again.

And so the web of influence grows....

Ohhhh, okay I see ! But how would I manage to do all this without my party noticing?

Florian
2016-03-07, 05:49 AM
Ohhhh, okay I see ! But how would I manage to do all this without my party noticing?

It´s hard to answer that without knowing how your group plays, if you happen to have a home base, frequent the same city or if you´re just playing murderhobos doing dungeon-hopping. It´s also important how willing your gm is to play along and if "side quests" would be an option.

Generell speaking, skip the idea of "your party not noticing". People will get seriously bored when you do a solo act and they have to watch. "Secrets" or "Hidden agendas" sound good in theory but practically kill the fun. You want your co-players to participate in all of this. Rope them in.

Prep Work:

First of all, let´s work on the Mood and Theme. Bugger off to the local library and read these two books to get a feeling for what will be needed to get it to work:
- David Eddings, The Diamond Throne. (The knights are your role model here, this is where we start)
- Mario Puzo, The Family (This is pure, undiluted evil. This is where we end).

Second, let´s work on the character. We aim for "Tarnished Knight/Perilous Shield" here. This´ll need to be a rock-solid leader type with some necessary Face and Knowledge skills. I think a Human Cavalier VMC Bard using Mounted Combat/Spirited Charge should fit the bill here quite well. Your Human bonus feat should be Noble Scion and you should work with your gm for the variant found in the "Hell´s Rebels Players Guide".

(The alternative would be a Slayer with at least one Slayer Talent based on FavTerrain: Urban so you can get nice skill boosts for a lot of the social stuff in that environment - But personally, I think that´s lacking in style)

Third, familiarize yourself with some rules. You should read Ultimate Campaign for the rules on running organizations and downtime, then the Hell´s Rebels Players Guide on how integration of teams and NPC can be done here.

Fourth and most important: Talk to your gm. You want to start out with LG and "a heart of gold" and you want to have a slow and hard "fall from grace" to LE, without losing that "heart of gold"-feeling.
That means you´re the one doing the Gather Information thing to dig up missions/quests and those only have room for the hard choices, the no-win situations. This is where the group and the whole "tarnished knight/perilous shield" aspect comes in. You want to shoulder the responsibility for those hard decisions and you want your fellow players to witness and accept them. They will think this is a cool story, accept what you did and maybe even join in. They are part of your "fall".

(You´ll want situations like this: You want a small, one-session Investigation-type quest that ends up with the perp being untouchable by virtue of good standing and very good connections. This has to be solved the hard way. Talk your fellow players into helping you assassinating the target as the only way to get some justice done.)

Fifth, we´ll start by playing in the background. Again, talk to your GM and remember the aforementioned rules. You´ll want to have a "Thieves Guild/Hidden Cult" with some teams early on and pour part of your wealth into that. Come to the session 10 minutes earlier or stay 10 minutes later, do all the necessary rolls for those activities, let your gm do all the rest here, if willing.

Again, you want to be the "Imperfect Sword" and have your fellow player along on the ride.

Platymus Pus
2016-03-07, 06:16 AM
Just have a Sol

Florian
2016-03-07, 07:11 AM
Just have a Sol

Hm? Missing something here. You mean SoIaF?

djwood
2016-03-11, 12:00 PM
It's hard to answer that without knowing how your group plays, if you happen to have a home base, frequent the same city or if you´re just playing murderhobos doing dungeon-hopping. It´s also important how willing your gm is to play along and if "side quests" would be an option.

Generell speaking, skip the idea of "your party not noticing". People will get seriously bored when you do a solo act and they have to watch. "Secrets" or "Hidden agendas" sound good in theory but practically kill the fun. You want your co-players to participate in all of this. Rope them in.

I honestly thought of dropping the idea of "my party not noticing " and I get what you mean that everyone will get bored, but in our campaigns the DM usually gives us two hours to do whatever we want in a new village to scout of whatnot so I'll usually do my evil things around that time. Plus if there's really something big I'm gonna have to do. I'll come early to the game or stay a bit later. And my DM is really interested in what I could possibly do so he's really committed too!

Prep Work:

First of all, let´s work on the Mood and Theme. Bugger off to the local library and read these two books to get a feeling for what will be needed to get it to work:
- David Eddings, The Diamond Throne. (The knights are your role model here, this is where we start)
- Mario Puzo, The Family (This is pure, undiluted evil. This is where we end).

Second, let´s work on the character. We aim for "Tarnished Knight/Perilous Shield" here. This´ll need to be a rock-solid leader type with some necessary Face and Knowledge skills. I think a Human Cavalier VMC Bard using Mounted Combat/Spirited Charge should fit the bill here quite well. Your Human bonus feat should be Noble Scion and you should work with your gm for the variant found in the "Hell´s Rebels Players Guide".

(The alternative would be a Slayer with at least one Slayer Talent based on FavTerrain: Urban so you can get nice skill boosts for a lot of the social stuff in that environment - But personally, I think that´s lacking in style)

I was thinking of going full on bard then take the PrC Noble Scion. for the followers and what not. is that not a good idea?

Third, familiarize yourself with some rules. You should read Ultimate Campaign for the rules on running organizations and downtime, then the Hell´s Rebels Players Guide on how integration of teams and NPC can be done here.

Fourth and most important: Talk to your gm. You want to start out with LG and "a heart of gold" and you want to have a slow and hard "fall from grace" to LE, without losing that "heart of gold"-feeling.
That means you´re the one doing the Gather Information thing to dig up missions/quests and those only have room for the hard choices, the no-win situations. This is where the group and the whole "tarnished knight/perilous shield" aspect comes in. You want to shoulder the responsibility for those hard decisions and you want your fellow players to witness and accept them. They will think this is a cool story, accept what you did and maybe even join in. They are part of your "fall".

(You´ll want situations like this: You want a small, one-session Investigation-type quest that ends up with the perp being untouchable by virtue of good standing and very good connections. This has to be solved the hard way. Talk your fellow players into helping you assassinating the target as the only way to get some justice done.)

1. I downloaded the 'Ultimate campaign' PDF, but can't seem to find anything on 'the Hell´s Rebels Players Guide'. By any chance do you have a link ?

2. MY DM is really on board to help me and see me 1hour or 2, before the game or after for anything . Any more tips on become the "tarnished knight/perilous shield"?

Fifth, we´ll start by playing in the background. Again, talk to your GM and remember the aforementioned rules. You´ll want to have a "Thieves Guild/Hidden Cult" with some teams early on and pour part of your wealth into that. Come to the session 10 minutes earlier or stay 10 minutes later, do all the necessary rolls for those activities, let your gm do all the rest here, if willing.

Again, you want to be the "Imperfect Sword" and have your fellow player along on the ride.

i'm gonna play the defenseless one and hide behind my party, thanks for the tips mate!

Segev
2016-03-11, 12:18 PM
First off, I'd like to back up Red Fel on the "don't play the last-minute traitor" angle. You turn it into a game where you can't win without your fellow players losing, and that's...going to ruin somebody's fun.

Two other main points:

1) You probably will have the easiest time being the Poisonous Friend. The one who is good, loyal, and helpful...but is willing to get his hands dirty to smooth the way for your party. If you want to take over the world, do it by ensuring that the rewards your party reaps include renown and trust, so that they're natural leaders when things fall apart. You may not even need to make sure things fall apart if they're doing it on their own. Exploit crises to accumulate power and loyalty for the party as a whole, and take pains to make yourself either the face of the party, or its conscience.

Yes, that's right, its conscience. You should know the moral and ethical arguments inside and out. Often, you'll find that merely staying silent at key points, or pointing out the moral thing to do when it is most inconvenient, will get the party to perpetrate your goals for you.

2) Three words: Enlightened Self Interest. Intelligent evil learns this through and through. Do not undermine, backstab, betray, steal, lie, and cheat just because you can. Your reputation is everything. Even those who know you're less than morally upright will respect you for keeping your word and for being reliable. Don't give people reason to mistrust you. Do your dirty deeds when they can't come back to bite you. This goes back to the poisonous friend thing: you clean up the messes made by the party's good tendencies and moral scruples allowing their enemies to get away with slander. After the party is done being all moral and letting them go, you make sure they die anyway. Quietly, or - for bonus points - in a karmic way that makes it seem like they brought it on themselves. In a way, they did: they threatened your friends.

Finally, in setting up your "elite group," play it like a Xanatos Gambit. If the elite group wins, you (their secret masked mysterious leader) come out on top. If they side with your party, so much the better! If the party ultimately defeats them and the big threat to the world, well, now you're a member of the heroic party that thwarted the great evils! You have been making sure the party is beloved and trusted and that recruiting world leaders out of it would be natural, right?

yellowrocket
2016-03-11, 02:04 PM
You mentioned earning their trust. You missed the boat big time on that one. You don't care if they trust you. You want then to revere you. To worship the ground you walk on because of your deeds. They want to hand power to you that you don't want.

That my friend is how lawful evil really works. If you see chaotic or neutral evil you are the first to squish it like they petty like bugs they are. You make friends and dependants. People need to owe you. But don't be quick to call in the favors either.

On the other hand, you don't ever owe anything to anyone. You make damn sure to never be in debt. In money or in favors. You can never be called evil if there is no evidence. If you make sure that what you are doing is right (by the group not the law) they will have no idea.

Nibbens
2016-03-11, 03:45 PM
Story time: Buckle up.

A long long time ago, I met a new group. I was introduced and everyone got a chance to start out with a convo with the dm. Everyone in the party was the usual Good to Neutral gaming group - typical heros.

The Dm asked me what I wanted to do, and I joking said, "kill everyone in their sleep and take their gold." Unfazed the dm was accommodating. So I ran with it, my halfling was actually NE but his character sheet said NG and I was to kill the party at a time of my choosing, preferably when a) the group amassed as much gold as they could and b) when the party couldn't strike back - so I could get away clean.

This being a new group, I became fast friends with them in the game world and outside, all the while the game rolled on, and I played the part of Taff the Wanderer, NG rogue, who was quirky, funny, had nicknames for everyone in the party and had a sharper tongue than his daggers.

I... I ruined it for myself. One of the guys became a really close friend in game and out. His cleric and Taff were best buddies - mainly because he would follow me around keeping me out of trouble at first. But then we became a team. And add the fact that he saved Taff's life a couple times.

The moment eventually came after about 2 years of gaming with these guys. I managed to convince everyone to get in Taff's bag of holding while I squeezed between some vertical bars suspended over a raging river. The plan was for me to safely transport them from one side to the other - which they couldn't squeeze through. They were all suspicious, but they gave Taff the benefit of the doubt.

I called the DM into the other room, and everyone else was really starting to get worried. I told him I couldn't do it. Taff fell in love with these guys. Or maybe I did (This is another bottle of worms that I'm not getting into atm). Especially with the cleric. Taff couldn't betray him. Nevertheless, it didn't matter anymore. At this point, I had played Taff as quirky NG for so long that I couldn't see him doing it anymore. It wouldn't be in his character. Not anymore. For the first time in my life, I requested an alignment change from my DM. (back when we believed in alignment, but that's another story. lol)

Taff couldn't drown them - wouldn't drown them - and neither would I. We went on to play for 2 more years getting into epic levels before the game petered out.

So, I'll just say this. Be careful with choosing the betrayer playstyle. If your Character gains an attachment to any one of your other party members, you may be subject to reverse Stockholm syndrome... It's a weird thing.

TL:DR - reverse Stockholm syndrome is a real thing, and can ruin your plans.

Psyren
2016-03-11, 03:53 PM
Hm? Missing something here. You mean SoIaF?

I think he means this person, (http://guilty-gear.wikia.com/wiki/Sol_Badguy) who is literally named Badguy.

Segev
2016-03-11, 03:57 PM
Story time: Buckle up.

A long long time ago, I met a new group. I was introduced and everyone got a chance to start out with a convo with the dm. Everyone in the party was the usual Good to Neutral gaming group - typical heros.

The Dm asked me what I wanted to do, and I joking said, "kill everyone in their sleep and take their gold." Unfazed the dm was accommodating. So I ran with it, my halfling was actually NE but his character sheet said NG and I was to kill the party at a time of my choosing, preferably when a) the group amassed as much gold as they could and b) when the party couldn't strike back - so I could get away clean.

This being a new group, I became fast friends with them in the game world and outside, all the while the game rolled on, and I played the part of Taff the Wanderer, NG rogue, who was quirky, funny, had nicknames for everyone in the party and had a sharper tongue than his daggers.

I... I ruined it for myself. One of the guys became a really close friend in game and out. His cleric and Taff were best buddies - mainly because he would follow me around keeping me out of trouble at first. But then we became a team. And add the fact that he saved Taff's life a couple times.

The moment eventually came after about 2 years of gaming with these guys. I managed to convince everyone to get in Taff's bag of holding while I squeezed between some vertical bars suspended over a raging river. The plan was for me to safely transport them from one side to the other - which they couldn't squeeze through. They were all suspicious, but they gave Taff the benefit of the doubt.

I called the DM into the other room, and everyone else was really starting to get worried. I told him I couldn't do it. Taff fell in love with these guys. Or maybe I did (This is another bottle of worms that I'm not getting into atm). Especially with the cleric. Taff couldn't betray him. Nevertheless, it didn't matter anymore. At this point, I had played Taff as quirky NG for so long that I couldn't see him doing it anymore. It wouldn't be in his character. Not anymore. For the first time in my life, I requested an alignment change from my DM. (back when we believed in alignment, but that's another story. lol)

Taff couldn't drown them - wouldn't drown them - and neither would I. We went on to play for 2 more years getting into epic levels before the game petered out.

So, I'll just say this. Be careful with choosing the betrayer playstyle. If your Character gains an attachment to any one of your other party members, you may be subject to reverse Stockholm syndrome... It's a weird thing.

TL:DR - reverse Stockholm syndrome is a real thing, and can ruin your plans.

To be fair... NE can have friends. And if these guys are his friends, maybe they are more valuable to him than loot. Which means, if he did retain his NE alignment...heaven help anybody who tries to hurt his friends. "Beware the nice ones."

Nibbens
2016-03-11, 04:02 PM
To be fair... NE can have friends. And if these guys are his friends, maybe they are more valuable to him than loot. Which means, if he did retain his NE alignment...heaven help anybody who tries to hurt his friends. "Beware the nice ones."

This is true. It's a shame that I didn't see it that way oh-so-many years ago when we were playing that game. Because there would have been a few "interesting" moments. lol.

Florian
2016-03-12, 01:49 AM
@Nibbens:

I´ve got a similar one to share:
Some years ago, me and a couple of guys met over the internet and deciding to try and play a longer and a bit more morally challenging campaign together. To see if we´re "compatible", we decided to start with a smaller test-campaign first to test the waters. The gm secretly talked with everyone beforehand and handed out some nasty instructions, like me having to play an NE cleric with the personal goal to conduct a ritual sacrifice of a party member every full moon, and other stuff like that.

Honestly, we all tried and we all failed at that. We had such a good chemistry going between us, no-one dared take the first step to ruin that. Shortly before the last session of our test campaign, we had a talk about our secret missions and just decided to unleash them all at once, just to get it over with ;)

Thealtruistorc
2016-03-13, 12:21 AM
Okay, you've heard the LE perspective, now it's time for me to offer the other extreme.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj27szK8rzLAhWhtIMKHcaBCWcQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fclanwarrior.deviantart.com%2Fart% 2FThe-Fallen-Human-Undertale-x-Reader-CH-1-576347376&bvm=bv.116636494,d.amc&psig=AFQjCNFYIlYSvMEbxvPSflx4o2nFKNT3ow&ust=1457932132175875

The baddest of the bad would have to be a force that puts all other hopes and aspirations to shame. The very premise of it would be a concept that no sane being would ever want to acknowledge as possible, much less confront. The greatest villains all have vast ambitions, certainly, but the imbeciles who call themselves lawful evil (truly just preservationalist dogma in disguise) can't comprehend the true spectacle of what evil is. Anybody can punish a man with execution or make a race suffer under your heel. True evil means admitting to yourself that these things are only temporary, and that the ultimate purpose of your existence is to end these trivialities. If you make yourself an image, and idea, or even a code of law, you can be dismissed as temporary, weak, just another "bad apple" in an otherwise dandy universe. True Evil is not built within the minds of men, it is a cosmic truth that consumes all beings regardless of whether they know it or not.

All extremes of the cosmos eventually lead to this true evil, and as hard as men try they will never escape it. Try and purge evil or chaos from the world, and you become a butcher in your own right. Try to provide for the well-being of others, and realize that you cannot prepare them for their inevitable destruction. Try to be good or lawful or anything that denies the true nature of existence and you WILL fail. The cosmos does not know benevolence or order or anything that mortals attempt to safeguard themselves from its horrors. The cosmos only knows destruction and madness, with all the hovels of goodwill merely being specks of dust in an infinite ocean of bleakness. Eventually, these specks erode under the crashing forces of entropy, and as the hopeful souls cling to the wreckage they too are swept away into oblivion. Evil takes no joy in this, it simply is, as it always has been and always will be.

If you want to be the baddest of the bad, that means you have to take this truth and suck the whole thing in. Transcend emotion, transcend longing, transcend understand, transcend everything that you hold dear and everything that you had ever hoped to accomplish. These things mean nothing, they never meant anything, they were nothing more than the musings of an imbecile who was too afraid to let the truth in. Vomit all of this up, spit out ever last drop of humanity and hope that you once had. You are a citizen of the universe now, and you will carry out its will free from every qualm that you erased from existence. Your weakness has now been purged. Now it is time to share this enlightenment.

Every step you take should approach absolute oblivion. Every relationship you masquerade should be to the ends of total desolation. When you have the chance, strike the final blow and end everything that you can. The sooner your victims learn the truth, the better. Never, EVER seek validation for your actions. Justice is a construct perpetuated by the feeble, and you will have none of it. Take what you wish and care not of what the inferiors think of you. Should they oppose you, beat them until they understand your reasoning. You are the instrument of all destruction, and when the last flame sputters out leaving nothing of this false world but ash, your destiny will at last be fulfilled. But until that day comes, you will work tirelessly and without distraction to bring about the downfall of everything that the mortals have told you was real. Even the gods themselves will bow to your absolute truth, and when they do you will cut off their heads one by one.

People will oppose you at every turn. Some may even succeed in killing you. However, know that there will always come more after you to carry our your mission. Know that the ultimate reckoning of the cosmos will come eventually, and you will have helped to bring it about. Truly, there is no higher calling, no more profound bad, than this.

https://49.media.tumblr.com/708a19dee76d274440324da5555cf48e/tumblr_nupiuuCEPz1qgwx8yo1_500.gif

Segev
2016-03-13, 12:30 AM
Okay, you've heard the LE perspective, now it's time for me to offer the other extreme.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj27szK8rzLAhWhtIMKHcaBCWcQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fclanwarrior.deviantart.com%2Fart% 2FThe-Fallen-Human-Undertale-x-Reader-CH-1-576347376&bvm=bv.116636494,d.amc&psig=AFQjCNFYIlYSvMEbxvPSflx4o2nFKNT3ow&ust=1457932132175875

The baddest of the bad would have to be a force that puts all other hopes and aspirations to shame. The very premise of it would be a concept that no sane being would ever want to acknowledge as possible, much less confront. The greatest villains all have vast ambitions, certainly, but the imbeciles who call themselves lawful evil (truly just preservationalist dogma in disguise) can't comprehend the true spectacle of what evil is. Anybody can punish a man with execution or make a race suffer under your heel. True evil means admitting to yourself that these things are only temporary, and that the ultimate purpose of your existence is to end these trivialities. If you make yourself an image, and idea, or even a code of law, you can be dismissed as temporary, weak, just another "bad apple" in an otherwise dandy universe. True Evil is not built within the minds of men, it is a cosmic truth that consumes all beings regardless of whether they know it or not.

All extremes of the cosmos eventually lead to this true evil, and as hard as men try they will never escape it. Try and purge evil or chaos from the world, and you become a butcher in your own right. Try to provide for the well-being of others, and realize that you cannot prepare them for their inevitable destruction. Try to be good or lawful or anything that denies the true nature of existence and you WILL fail. The cosmos does not know benevolence or order or anything that mortals attempt to safeguard themselves from its horrors. The cosmos only knows destruction and madness, with all the hovels of goodwill merely being specks of dust in an infinite ocean of bleakness. Eventually, these specks erode under the crashing forces of entropy, and as the hopeful souls cling to the wreckage they too are swept away into oblivion. Evil takes no joy in this, it simply is, as it always has been and always will be.

If you want to be the baddest of the bad, that means you have to take this truth and suck the whole thing in. Transcend emotion, transcend longing, transcend understand, transcend everything that you hold dear and everything that you had ever hoped to accomplish. These things mean nothing, they never meant anything, they were nothing more than the musings of an imbecile who was too afraid to let the truth in. Vomit all of this up, spit out ever last drop of humanity and hope that you once had. You are a citizen of the universe now, and you will carry out its will free from every qualm that you erased from existence. Your weakness has now been purged. Now it is time to share this enlightenment.

Every step you take should approach absolute oblivion. Every relationship you masquerade should be to the ends of total desolation. When you have the chance, strike the final blow and end everything that you can. The sooner your victims learn the truth, the better. Never, EVER seek validation for your actions. Justice is a construct perpetuated by the feeble, and you will have none of it. Take what you wish and care not of what the inferiors think of you. Should they oppose you, beat them until they understand your reasoning. You are the instrument of all destruction, and when the last flame sputters out leaving nothing of this false world but ash, your destiny will at last be fulfilled. But until that day comes, you will work tirelessly and without distraction to bring about the downfall of everything that the mortals have told you was real. Even the gods themselves will bow to your absolute truth, and when they do you will cut off their heads one by one.

People will oppose you at every turn. Some may even succeed in killing you. However, know that there will always come more after you to carry our your mission. Know that the ultimate reckoning of the cosmos will come eventually, and you will have helped to bring it about. Truly, there is no higher calling, no more profound bad, than this.

https://49.media.tumblr.com/708a19dee76d274440324da5555cf48e/tumblr_nupiuuCEPz1qgwx8yo1_500.gif

Eh... I'm sorry, that's the worst sort of self-destructive CE. It is okay as an antagonist, but as a protagonist (which all PCs are), it falls short. Mainly in that it will get itself eliminated quickly, and thus won't be on camera long enough to BE a protagonist.