PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Near-team wipe, players using reincarnate to come back, need new races suggested

Pinkie Pyro
2016-03-03, 11:57 PM
The party utterly failed to beat the last encounter I sent after them due mostly to utterly terrible rolls. (first three rolls of the party were natural ones)

Three of them ended up dead, and the party druid survived. she's planning on bringing everyone back with reincarnate, but I feel like randomly rolling would be kind of lame.

So, I need some new races/creatures suggested for everyone to come back as.

the party members are:

A cat-folk dex based crossbow sniper

A wolf-folk str intimdate/stick hitter

A (modified)pixie dex swordfighter

3.5 or pathfinder are fine, and they don't necessarily have to come back as humanoids.

Sapreaver
2016-03-04, 01:32 AM
Daelkyr half blood, cause it's pretty neat
Than an ooze genasi cause it's pretty neat and finally a cansin cause it's pretty neat.

Gives you a plot hook for later too cause it's apparent something is interfering with natural divine magic

nedz
2016-03-04, 04:58 AM
Make either the Druid, or the relevant Player, roll. If you don't the players will blame you and whatever you choose will likely be wrong.

Troacctid
2016-03-04, 05:03 AM
Roll randomly, but use an expanded table (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?401132-Lists-of-Every-Playable-Monster-by-ECL).

JyP
2016-03-04, 05:57 AM
Roll randomly, but use an expanded table (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?401132-Lists-of-Every-Playable-Monster-by-ECL).
this.

to expand on link above, with reincarnate normally you keep all your class levels... but you may have a stronger or weaker race (read : ECL), with or without templates. So first point would be to roll for new ECL (1d20 for a true random result, minimum being defined by class levels), then roll for template chance (10% to have a template, if true reroll for more templates ?), and then once you know if you have template(s) or not, you can roll on expanded tables above to define the new race & templates.

Edit: let me try with an ECL 8 character with 6 class levels being reincarnated.

1d20 => 17, woot bigger character
% => 9 then 35... one template
1d11 to determine strength of template (17 ECL - 6 class levels) => 3, so new race ECL 8, template +3, 6 class levels
ECL +3 templates 1d3 (no undead templates) => 2, Dark Thrall of Onysablet , seems to be an acquired template more than a inherited template... so let's say :

Dragonspawn, Blue (Bestiary of Krynn Revised 44, Dragonlance Campaign Setting 222) +0 HD, +3 LA - any corporeal Giant, Humanoid, or Monstrous humanoid of Small, Medium, or Large size; changes to dragon with the Augmented subtype and same subtype as the dragon type

ECL 8 races : 1d100 => we need to find giant, humanoids or monstrous humanoids only there, so after some rerolls : 68-69 Pterafolk (Monsters of Faerun 74) 4 HD, LA +4... not sure of the type there as it's a shapechanger, would need 3.5 conversion.

So our ECL 8 character with 6 class levels woule be reincarnated in a Blue dragonspawn pterafolk with 6 class levels (4HD, LA +7). [large dragon (earth, shapechanger, augmented humanoid, reptilian?)]

Tjallen
2016-03-04, 08:00 AM
this.

to expand on link above, with reincarnate normally you keep all your class levels... but you may have a stronger or weaker race (read : ECL), with or without templates. So first point would be to roll for new ECL (1d20 for a true random result, minimum being defined by class levels), then roll for template chance (10% to have a template, if true reroll for more templates ?), and then once you know if you have template(s) or not, you can roll on expanded tables above to define the new race & templates.

Edit: let me try with an ECL 8 character with 6 class levels being reincarnated.

1d20 => 17, woot bigger character
% => 9 then 35... one template
1d11 to determine strength of template (17 ECL - 6 class levels) => 3, so new race ECL 8, template +3, 6 class levels
ECL +3 templates 1d3 (no undead templates) => 2, Dark Thrall of Onysablet , seems to be an acquired template more than a inherited template... so let's say :

Dragonspawn, Blue (Bestiary of Krynn Revised 44, Dragonlance Campaign Setting 222) +0 HD, +3 LA - any corporeal Giant, Humanoid, or Monstrous humanoid of Small, Medium, or Large size; changes to dragon with the Augmented subtype and same subtype as the dragon type

ECL 8 races : 1d100 => we need to find giant, humanoids or monstrous humanoids only there, so after some rerolls : 68-69 Pterafolk (Monsters of Faerun 74) 4 HD, LA +4... not sure of the type there as it's a shapechanger, would need 3.5 conversion.

So our ECL 8 character with 6 class levels woule be reincarnated in a Blue dragonspawn pterafolk with 6 class levels (4HD, LA +7). [large dragon (earth, shapechanger, augmented humanoid, reptilian?)]

So now you are pretty much left with a character that will be waaaay too powerful, and even worse, won't have a chance to grab classes the next... 10 levels?
That seems like a horrible way of going about reincarnation.
To be honest reincarnating things with RHD and LA is going to be a hassle even if you retain the LA and RHD.

JyP
2016-03-04, 08:12 AM
So now you are pretty much left with a character that will be waaaay too powerful, and even worse, won't have a chance to grab classes the next... 10 levels?
That seems like a horrible way of going about reincarnation.
yup, I agree that rolling 1d20 for ECL, is over the top - most DM would rule to current keep ECL, or less possibilities to increase it (10% of +1 ECL, reroll to gain more for example). I did it for fun :smallbiggrin:

And we hit another problem : having a completely random new character would be ok if you were using a Deck of Many Things, but here it's a druid, so a spellcaster more attuned with natural world. So maybe restricting to awakened animals or primitive races matching the current biome would be better.

To be honest reincarnating things with RHD and LA is going to be a hassle even if you retain the LA and RHD.
At least with same ECL you already have lists from above.

Quertus
2016-03-04, 08:20 AM
The only time I can remember DMing the reincarnation of a PC was back in 2e, and the player rolled a 100 - DM's choice. I had an idea, but asked the table what they thought would be cool. I can't remember all the suggestions, but I think several kinds of dragon, angel, pixie, and phoenix were among them.

I remember adventuring with an ooze - well, two, if you count the gelatinous cube. Somehow (deck of many things?) the gelatinous cube was supposed to get some random treasure that was obviously intended for them - bore their likeness or some such. The random treasure? A cube (of force?).

fishyfishyfishy
2016-03-04, 09:15 AM
My suggestion is to not make choices for your players unless that's what they want you to do. Give them the choice to roll, have you roll, make the caster roll, or to choose a race for them.

I did something similar for my game a couple years ago. The player was a Drow with 1 point of her LA bought off already. She ended up asking me to roll and I got 100%, so I made her a Changeling. She loved the choice and has embraced this aspect of her character. I doubt she'd have felt the same if I had forced this on her.

Hunter Noventa
2016-03-04, 09:21 AM
My suggestion is to not make choices for your players unless that's what they want you to do. Give them the choice to roll, have you roll, make the caster roll, or to choose a race for them.

I did something similar for my game a couple years ago. The player was a Drow with 1 point of her LA bought off already. She ended up asking me to roll and I got 100%, so I made her a Changeling. She loved the choice and has embraced this aspect of her character. I doubt she'd have felt the same if I had forced this on her.

This seems like the best option. have a little fun with it, but give the player some options. Chose who rolls, and which table to roll on.

Sliver
2016-03-04, 09:34 AM
The list of playable races is organized by ECL, so it's not very helpful.

Unless you are ignoring that Reincarnate brings you back as the same type as you were before.

So you'll need to make a custom list of fey for the pixie...

Bronk
2016-03-04, 10:11 AM

I agree, although that's a crazy big list! I'd group all the humanoids and near humanoids together in one list, and the fey in another list for the pixie, mostly because of this line from the 'reincarnate' spell:

For a humanoid creature, the new incarnation is determined using the following table. For nonhumanoid creatures, a similar table of creatures of the same type should be created.

I'd also keep it to similar ECLs and RHDs, if possible. Still, there are a lot of fey, and I'd probably throw in fey-like creatures too, like Faerie Dragons.

Pinkie Pyro
2016-03-04, 12:29 PM
Daelkyr half blood, cause it's pretty neat
Than an ooze genasi cause it's pretty neat and finally a cansin cause it's pretty neat.

Gives you a plot hook for later too cause it's apparent something is interfering with natural divine magic

thank you for actually replying, those are a bit too odd for the campaign i'm currently using.

to everyone else: we discussed this at the table and we agreed I would come up with races. so suggesting I roll isn't helping anyone.

Malimar
2016-03-04, 12:51 PM
I made a set of reincarnate lists a few years back. Humanoids (http://luduscarcerum.blogspot.com/2012/04/custom-reincarnate-tables-3-humanoids.html), Fey (http://luduscarcerum.blogspot.com/2012/04/custom-reincarnate-tables-3-fey.html).

Lower-ECL creatures are generally more likely to come up. They don't include all the sources I now allow (and they might include some sources you don't allow), and many DMs might wind up being all "noo, that's a bad result, roll again"...

...but you don't want to roll anyway, so consider these lists of suggestions instead of lists to roll on.

My suggestions might be "what they were, but more so" -- so the catfolk and wolffolk come back as anthropomorphic tiger and anthropomorphic wolf, and the modified pixie comes back as... an unmodified pixie, maybe?

ghanjrho
2016-03-04, 06:04 PM
Hmm... how averse are you to templated races? Something like Dragonborn(Mind) Water Orc for the wolf-folk might be interesting.

Do any of these characters have LA?

redzimmer
2016-03-04, 06:18 PM
Mongrelfolk.
All of them.