PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Advice On Loot (Rogue Trader, Warhammer 40k)

Vexing
2016-03-04, 01:07 AM
Hello all! First: on the off chance that you're a player from "Mutiny on the Malheureuse", the Rogue Trader game in question, leap away from this page at once! I'd rather you not spoil the (potential) surprise for yourself.

Second: I'm hoping that folks who chime in have a little familiarity with the various 40k systems. Suggesting bonuses or benefits are all well and good, but it would help if those suggestions were grounded in an idea of what's usually balanced or enjoyable for the d100 40k roleplaying line; comparison and contrasting may help me come to a conclusion.

The Questions
1: As part of a dump of Archaeotech (old technology), I was rolling up one or two specific items for the group to find, either as a valuable discovery or in use by one of their nearby antagonists. One of my results on a series of tables in Stars of Inequity (a sourcebook for new systems/colonies/items) came back with some very interesting results, but left me a little confused on how to implement them.

The item in question is a Best-Quality Jump Pack...and I'm not certain what benefits to assign to a Best-Quality Jump Pack, in terms of what might be overpowered or underwhelming. Here's their entry from the Rogue Trader Core Book:

Jump packs are large backpacks containing powerful turbofan or rocket engines. The user triggers a jump pack to lift high into the air and then swoop down as part of their assault. Jump packs are also useful in leaping over high obstacles and reaching rooftops in a single bound, but without training most users will seriously injure themselves in crashes. Though bulky, loud, and somewhat dangerous to use, they are ideal for the maximum in personal mobility on the ground or even in the void.

Jump packs require the operator to have the Pilot (Personal) Skill. A standard jump pack allows for a safe, guided fall from any height and, with a thruster boost, make an unlimited series of short jumps (landing at the end of each Round's movement). Alternatively, the pack can duplicate the Flyer (12) Trait for up to a minute at a time. A jump pack's power supply will last for about an hour of strenuous operation before requiring a replacement.

I've put bits of the description in bold because those struck me as good areas to start picking at. Would providing it with an unlimited (or greatly increased) power supply cause more trouble than it's worth? Is an increase to the Flyer Trait worth considering, or would it be effectively pointless since little can match movement of 12 to begin with? If you were running, what would you think is reasonable to add to the device?

2: Second, the Jump Pack also provides a +15 to Skill Tests that involve it. Since there aren't any tests required to use its basic functions, I'm not sure how much use that particular boost will get. I figure it'll help with tricky maneuvering at the most, once in a blue moon, but I'm trying to think of other ways for a player to leverage that bonus. Perhaps the +15 can apply to Dodge Tests whilst using the Flyer Trait granted by the pack?

Any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The item actually fits rather well with the area and potential wielder I may assign to it, so I'm happy to keep the result. I'm just trying to work out how best to make it a memorable and impactful piece of wargear with that tricky Best-Quality tag.

Mr Adventurer
2016-03-04, 12:49 PM
Halve the weight, like for armour.
Check the rules for jump packs in the later game lines, as the rules for them are marginally more detailed.
Make the power pack last for ten hours.
Double the amount of time it can be in flight mode before needing to cool down, and halve the cool down time.

EDIT: forgot the most important bit: make it blinging as all hell!

Grim Portent
2016-03-04, 06:14 PM
Given the nature of jump packs in the setting and how Sisters of Battle and Blood Angels incorporate propoganda elements in their design, you could make the jump pack be one of the type that have wings and have them grant a bonus to intimidate checks or the Fear (1) trait while in use.

DaedalusMkV
2016-03-05, 03:03 PM
My suggestion would be to expand the battery life on it and make it smaller. Regular Jump Packs are massive things that weigh over 10 kilos and feel like strapping a jet engine to your back. This Jump Pack weighs 5 kilos and feels like wearing a backpack. Regular Jump Packs function for an hour of continuous use; this one gets eight hours out of the same power-pack, because it's an order of magnitude more efficient than the modern design.

Changing the Flyer value on it is kind of unnecessary. Flyer 12 is already three to four times faster than an average Rogue Trader character can move, so the number of situations where that won't be sufficient are pretty small. Trust me, the quality of life improvement of the extended operating life and more than halving the weight and bulk of the thing will be more than enough to make your players happy to use it, if they're anything like mine were.

shadow_archmagi
2016-03-05, 03:10 PM
Bonus points if you make it a set of jet-boots instead of a backpack.

Mr Adventurer
2016-03-05, 04:13 PM
Bonus points if you make it a set of jet-boots instead of a backpack.

Ha ha, this would be an alternative way to go: weight 1lb, keep the rules the same: boom, Star Lord jet boots :D

Vexing
2016-03-11, 02:49 PM
Halve the weight, like for armour.
Check the rules for jump packs in the later game lines, as the rules for them are marginally more detailed.
Make the power pack last for ten hours.
Double the amount of time it can be in flight mode before needing to cool down, and halve the cool down time.

EDIT: forgot the most important bit: make it blinging as all hell!

Cutting the weight seems to be a strong consensus, and it makes sense for better designed wargear. Better battery life could be worthwhile as well!

Not to bother you unduly, but do you happen to know where more of those "marginally more detailed" rules are? Deathwatch seems to be about the same (they have an additional line detailing those 'short jumps'), Black Crusade follows DW, and I can't find any rules for Jump Packs in Only War. Danke!

Given the nature of jump packs in the setting and how Sisters of Battle and Blood Angels incorporate propoganda elements in their design, you could make the jump pack be one of the type that have wings and have them grant a bonus to intimidate checks or the Fear (1) trait while in use.

Given the origin I'd worked out for the device (The Age of Apostasy!), the wing design was already a plan--but the Fear trait while in use is a capital idea! Strike fear into the heart of the enemy, smite heathens, etc.; I'll probably only have the Fear (1) work on reavers, pirates, and other malcontents who're beyond the Light of the Emperor, as well as primitive xenos or humans. Thank you!

My suggestion would be to expand the battery life on it and make it smaller. Regular Jump Packs are massive things that weigh over 10 kilos and feel like strapping a jet engine to your back. This Jump Pack weighs 5 kilos and feels like wearing a backpack. Regular Jump Packs function for an hour of continuous use; this one gets eight hours out of the same power-pack, because it's an order of magnitude more efficient than the modern design.

Changing the Flyer value on it is kind of unnecessary. Flyer 12 is already three to four times faster than an average Rogue Trader character can move, so the number of situations where that won't be sufficient are pretty small. Trust me, the quality of life improvement of the extended operating life and more than halving the weight and bulk of the thing will be more than enough to make your players happy to use it, if they're anything like mine were.

All solid suggestions, and an increase to the Flyer Trait would feel like overkill. In particular the weight decrease should be helpful, since we have a few folks who don't have commanding carry capacities. Thank you for your input!

Sorry about getting back to this late. I'd somehow forgotten to subscribe to my own thread for replies...woops! I may be coming back here every so often to talk shop about loot, gear bonuses, and the like, so I'm pleased that some of you took time to suggest a few things. It's very helpful!