PDA

View Full Version : Dragonborn Draconic Sorcerer

Jrandom
2016-03-04, 05:31 PM
Is there anything wrong with taking two different colors in one character? If you pick Bronze for your race, do you have to pick Bronze for your class as well?

Talamare
2016-03-04, 05:36 PM
Depends on what your Parent's were XD

ZenBear
2016-03-04, 05:43 PM
Technically no, and from a min/max perspective you want to so you have resistance to two different energy types. That being said, I would rule that you can't unless that dual ancestry is an important part of your character. I would further allow Dragonborn Dragonic Sorcerers to turn their resistance into immunity with a SorcPoint. Dragonborn should be better Dragonic Sorcerers than any other race IMO but as it stands they are not.

JumboWheat01
2016-03-04, 05:52 PM
As the other two have said, no there is no RAW that says you, as a Dragonborn, have to have the same ancestor as one you already have.

I will say try to avoid mixing chromatic and metallic heritages, since they lie on opposite sides of the scale (no pun here.) Not saying it wouldn't be interesting, and you certainly don't have actual dragons for parents, but I imagine some of the draconic nature is passed down.

Addaran
2016-03-04, 06:44 PM
Your father was a blue dragonborn and your mother was a red one! Your mother's genes were stronger so you're also a red dragonborn but you have some hidden blue dragon power in you (sorcerer).

You can replace dragonborn by actual dragons or half-dragons. You can choose if your mother or father gets the upper hand and wich of the race or dragonic heritage sorcerer is actually the upper hand.

ZenBear, doesn't the rules state that if something gives you resistance while you already have resistance, it becomes immunity? =)

Millstone85
2016-03-04, 06:50 PM
As the PHB says,
The first dragonborn had scales of vibrant hues matching the colors of their dragon kin, but generations of interbreeding have created a more uniform appearance., so a dragonborn with a multicolored draconic lineage is not only possible but the norm.

It might still be strange that one magical influence decided your breath weapon and another made you a spellcaster. Perhaps the one that couldn't get the breath weapon found this other way to surface.

ZenBear
2016-03-04, 07:07 PM
Your father was a blue dragonborn and your mother was a red one! Your mother's genes were stronger so you're also a red dragonborn but you have some hidden blue dragon power in you (sorcerer).

You can replace dragonborn by actual dragons or half-dragons. You can choose if your mother or father gets the upper hand and wich of the race or dragonic heritage sorcerer is actually the upper hand.

ZenBear, doesn't the rules state that if something gives you resistance while you already have resistance, it becomes immunity? =)

I don't remember seeing that. Can you quote the page? I will check when I get home.

Millstone85
2016-03-04, 07:28 PM
doesn't the rules state that if something gives you resistance while you already have resistance, it becomes immunity?I don't think so.
Multiple instances of resistance or vulnerability that affect the same damage type count as only one instance.

Addaran
2016-03-04, 07:34 PM
Yeah, can't seem to find it anywhere (checked the monster manual to make sure) and i saw Millstone85's quote. Seems i'm crazy. =(

That sucks, i liked the idea of dragonborn/tiefling becoming immune if they had the right class feature/spell. :smallfrown:

Sigreid
2016-03-04, 07:53 PM
Nothing wrong with it at all as dragonborn breed true and do not have to stick to diddling their own color. I imagine most are mongrels.

Fralex
2016-03-04, 10:58 PM
I like the idea of letting dragonborn sorcerers treat their breath weapons as spells for the purposes of elemental affinity (and maybe Metamagic? would want to test that), so a same-bloodline dragon sorcerer wouldn't get a better resistance, but their breath weapon would do extra damage.

Lines
2016-03-05, 12:23 AM
Technically no, and from a min/max perspective you want to so you have resistance to two different energy types. That being said, I would rule that you can't unless that dual ancestry is an important part of your character. I would further allow Dragonborn Dragonic Sorcerers to turn their resistance into immunity with a SorcPoint. Dragonborn should be better Dragonic Sorcerers than any other race IMO but as it stands they are not.

This guy has it exactly right. To anyone reading, a red dragonborn red dragon sorcerer is a bad idea mechanically because it means the second source of resistance is wasted, so if you don't like someone taking two different types let the resistances stack and become immunity.

Jrandom
2016-03-05, 11:28 AM
To anyone reading, a red dragonborn red dragon sorcerer is a bad idea mechanically because it means the second source of resistance is wasted, so if you don't like someone taking two different types let the resistances stack and become immunity.

That was my initial problem. Your class or race getting a resistance is going to be expensive (i.e. there are other ablilities you aren't getting because of it).

You are losing a benefit that is 20%-30% of the value of taking that sorcerer archetype.

Wildmage is your only alternative if you are Dragonborn. Which has far too much "flavor" for me.

Temperjoke
2016-03-05, 12:18 PM
*suddenly imagines a red dragon that gets a thrill out of seducing metallic-descended dragonborn for the thrill of secret despoiling the possible (depending on the origin story you're subscribing to) descendants of his enemies*

Honestly, given the proclivity of adventurers to sleep with everything that is possible to sleep with, it wouldn't be to surprising to have a mixed blood dragonborn Draconic sorcerer. I mean, the alternate dragon's blood origin could have easily come from the distant past, and has only been recently awakened, or something similar to that.

RickAllison
2016-03-05, 01:26 PM
And this is all keeping in mind that the Draconic origin does NOT have to be biological. The primary method of obtaining the origin, by the PHB, is having an ancestor who made a pact or proved himself to a dragon and so was gifted with an iota of the dragon's power. Actually having a dragon ancestor is a secondary backstory :smallbiggrin: