PDA

View Full Version : Change Spell Range to Short/Medium/Long?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-04, 08:34 PM
I'm looking to find ways to apply the Enlarge Spell and Enlarge Power feats to spells and powers which do not natively have Short, Medium, or Long ranges because Enlarge is stupidly restrictive. It should let you double the range of any effect above Personal, Touch, or 0'.

Because apparently, being able to fire a lightning bolt at double range is overpowered. Or something.

Necroticplague
2016-03-04, 08:43 PM
Because apparently, being able to fire a lightning bolt at double range is overpowered. Or something.

Doubling the range of Lightning Bolt wouldn't do anything, because its area is still only a 120 foot line.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-04, 08:50 PM
Doubling the range of Lightning Bolt wouldn't do anything, because its area is still only a 120 foot line.It would allow you to apply Widen, and it would improve the use of Sculpt Spell immensely.

Though for that particular instance, a Sculpted, Energy Admixture'd fireball would be superior, as it's a spread and can be Enlarged. Though it requires more feats...

nedz
2016-03-05, 05:56 AM
Doubling the range of Lightning Bolt wouldn't do anything, because its area is still only a 120 foot line.

Yes Range and Area are quite screwed up - which becomes apparent when you look at metamagics such as Sculpt Spell or Widen Spell.
E.g.
Sculpt Spell [Line] Fireball works just as you would expect.
Sculpt Spell [Line] Lightning Bolt gets screwed.

For the original question though: Reach Spell might be useful - except that the spell now becomes a Ray.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-05, 09:43 AM
For the original question though: Reach Spell might be useful - except that the spell now becomes a Ray.And it's out to 30', so still not Short, Medium, or Long.

And Ocular Spell is more fun anyway.

ben-zayb
2016-03-05, 10:05 AM
War Weaver does this sort of stuff, turning touch range to close. Spellwarp Sniper 7 can then turn ray spells (Ocular Spell?) into touch range.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-05, 10:18 AM
War Weaver does this sort of stuff, turning touch range to close. Spellwarp Sniper 7 can then turn ray spells (Ocular Spell?) into touch range.War weaver, yes, though it's limited to the eldritch tapestry. Still, it's an answer to my question. Thanks.

Spellwarp sniper, however, only goes up to 5, and it doesn't have the ability you mentioned.

ben-zayb
2016-03-05, 10:41 AM
War weaver, yes, though it's limited to the eldritch tapestry. Still, it's an answer to my question. Thanks.

Spellwarp sniper, however, only goes up to 5, and it doesn't have the ability you mentioned.

I was supposed to write Enlightened Fist. :smalltongue:

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-05, 11:00 AM
I was supposed to write Enlightened Fist. :smalltongue:I don't think you were. It doesn't have that, either. It does the exact opposite, reducing a ray spell to a touch attack.