PDA

View Full Version : The Giant: A Weird Al Yankovic Fan?

Firestar27
2007-06-18, 10:13 PM
I noticed in Comic #274 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0274.html) that the Snarl destroyed all life in 27 minutes. As most Weird Al Fanatics (should) know, 27 is Weird Al's number. For those who don't know, he used the number 27 in his songs a few times, and some fans asked him why. He now says it was an accident, and didn't notice it before, but at the time he said that 27 was just a funny number. After that, he started doing it intentionally in his videos (See if you can spot it in "Do I creep you out", video only) and in his songs (See if you can spot it in "Confessions Part III" and "Hardware Store"). I attempt to use 27 whenever I can, and I think other fans do as well. Why did the Giant use the number 27, as opposed to a more ominous sounding 50 or even 10? Is the Giant a Weird Al Yankovic Fan?

MReav
2007-06-18, 10:39 PM
I'm thinking it's like 42 being the answer to life, the universe, and everything. I'm guessing he picked a number off the top of his head, or rolled something like 4d10 or a d100, and got that as the result.

mockingbyrd7
2007-06-18, 10:56 PM
I'm personally a huge Weird Al fan, but I don't think one usage of the number 27 is enough to convince me that he is one too. Good catch tho, you could be right.

(Can you imagine Elan singing the song eBay by Weird Al?! That would be awesome-tastic!)

Tirian
2007-06-18, 11:03 PM
The Snarl destroyed the world in 27 minutes because there are 27 books in the New Testament. And, as we all know, OotS is just thinly veiled Christian allegory.... :smallsigh:

Kjata
2007-06-18, 11:15 PM
The Snarl destroyed the world in 27 minutes because there are 27 books in the New Testament. And, as we all know, OotS is just thinly veiled Christian allegory.... :smallsigh:

No. No it is not.

:smallwink:

Rididienn
2007-06-18, 11:18 PM
It obviously refers to Proverbs 27:27;

You will have plenty of goats' milk
to feed you and your family
and to nourish your servant girls.

Hephaestus
2007-06-18, 11:21 PM
Right, OotS is based off the Chronicles of Narnia and they're christian allegory so, yes, it is. /sarcasm:smallbiggrin:

When The Snarl's true name is revealed to be Al, then you can call The Giant a Weird Al fan....

That's a pretty good idea for The Snarl's name actually...

Jefepato
2007-06-18, 11:24 PM
My only response is, "who isn't?"

Saithis Bladewing
2007-06-18, 11:34 PM
My only response is, "who isn't?"

Eminem, but that's a different matter entirely. :smallwink:

Also, this thread is silly! :smallsigh:

Pigboy
2007-06-18, 11:50 PM
I noticed in Comic #274 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0274.html) that the Snarl destroyed all life in 27 minutes. As most Weird Al Fanatics (should) know, 27 is Weird Al's number. For those who don't know, he used the number 27 in his songs a few times, and some fans asked him why. He now says it was an accident, and didn't notice it before, but at the time he said that 27 was just a funny number. After that, he started doing it intentionally in his videos (See if you can spot it in "Do I creep you out", video only) and in his songs (See if you can spot it in "Confessions Part III" and "Hardware Store"). I attempt to use 27 whenever I can, and I think other fans do as well. Why did the Giant use the number 27, as opposed to a more ominous sounding 50 or even 10? Is the Giant a Weird Al Yankovic Fan?

Uhm...why don't you just ask him?

The Giant
2007-06-19, 12:15 AM
I like Weird Al just fine, but I never heard of that before now.

as opposed to a more ominous sounding 50 or even 10?

This part is easy: saying "27 minutes" implies a level of precision that means it isn't hyperbole or rounding on the part of the speaker. If you say, "He destroyed the world in ten minutes," you could just be saying "It didn't take long." Using a random, non-round number says that it is the exact, literal time it took. I wanted it to be clear that Shojo knew exactly what had happened, and wasn't guessing or estimating.

And under a half-hour is scarier, because a half-hour is the shortest block of time that we use to measure our daily schedules. A sitcom is half an hour; the Snarl destroyed the world in less time than it takes to watch Scrubs.

mockingbyrd7
2007-06-19, 12:21 AM
...the Snarl destroyed the world in less time than it takes to watch Scrubs.

Geez, when you put it that way... :smalleek:

Hephaestus
2007-06-19, 12:24 AM
I can see it now:

Me: Hey Mark, the season finally of Scrubs is on!
Mark: Alright! I can't wait to see what happens!
27 minutes later *world ends*
Me in afterlife: I really want to know how that episode ended...
Mark in afterlife: Me too... curse you mortality! CURSE YOU!

The Extinguisher
2007-06-19, 12:27 AM
It's 11:27 right now.
Omnious!

It's probably one of those things that is a random number, that people suddenly see in everything. Like 42.

Originally Posted by The Giant
...the Snarl destroyed the world in less time than it takes to watch Scrubs.

Well, not if you're watching it on the DVD.

kirbsys
2007-06-19, 12:29 AM
Lols. :smallbiggrin:

NeonRonin
2007-06-19, 12:31 AM
And under a half-hour is scarier, because a half-hour is the shortest block of time that we use to measure our daily schedules. A sitcom is half an hour; the Snarl destroyed the world in less time than it takes to watch Scrubs.

Damn... I didn't get to finish that episode of Monty Python before the earth got ripped from under my feet. And just as they finished up the Upper Class Twit of the Year Show, too... :smalleek:

Zictor
2007-06-19, 01:53 AM
Eminem, but that's a different matter entirely. :smallwink:

Also, this thread is silly! :smallsigh:

Very silly

Finn Solomon
2007-06-19, 08:23 AM
Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

RobbyPants
2007-06-19, 03:17 PM
I'd chalk it up as coincidence.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-06-19, 03:21 PM
I was more intrigued by the fact that 27 is 33, but I saw no other connections to support it having any significance.

Whenever I'm picking an arbitrary number to sound precise, I go with a prime. Probably 19 or 23, in this case.

Heliomance
2007-06-19, 03:29 PM

O_o
God is a Weird Al fan!

Garriath
2007-06-19, 05:05 PM
I was more intrigued by the fact that 27 is 33,

Oh, and 3^3 is three times three times three, or 3 3 3, half the job up to 6 6 6, which is, of course, the world's end. Therefore, I conjecture that the second and final time he is released, if ever, he will have exactly 6^3 minutes, or 216 minutes, to destroy the world.:smalltongue:

I'd put a spoiler tag up if this wasn't just being silly.:smallwink:

comicadv
2007-06-19, 05:23 PM
That's a good guess but I think you need to gather more info to convince me.
If you could find specific song refences or something that would work better. Still you never know...

Great idea.

ref
2007-06-19, 05:51 PM

But that's because all those silly commercial breaks!:smallfurious: :smallbiggrin:

osricjm
2007-06-19, 07:05 PM
Another 27 reference appears here: Strip 135 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0135.html)

Dolohov
2007-06-19, 07:57 PM
Another 27 reference appears here: Strip 135 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0135.html)

I suspect it's for a similar reason: :vaarsuvius:'s not just buying a lot of potions, but almost certainly their entire stock.

Demented
2007-06-19, 10:37 PM
The important thing is that we can entirely document the Snarl's destruction of the world and fit it in a half-hour TV feature! No cutting needed.

It's 11:27 right now.
Omnious!

I read that when it was 8:27. Freak-hay!

Shatteredtower
2007-06-20, 08:58 AM
I read that when it was 8:27. Freak-hay!I read it at 8:26, but it took me a minute to get the reply up. :smallwink:

Edit: Ah, I guess my clock's a minute behind the board.

Dusk_Rider
2007-06-20, 12:03 PM
I read it at 1:03. Darn. :smallannoyed:

delguidance
2007-06-20, 12:16 PM
The giant likes Scrubs! J.D. is like elan, and Blonde Doctor is like Haley, and Turk and Roy are both Bald, and Doctor Cox is brilliant like V, and the Janitor is evil like Belkar, and Nurse Carla is dependable like Durkon.

OMG
OMG
OMG