PDA

View Full Version : Ways To Become Immortal

Pyon
2016-03-04, 09:58 PM
Hi!

A friend of mine is playing a fantasy version of Kanye West and he wants to find a way to become immortal. We've discussed him becoming a Lich, but we don't think that would be flavorful. He doesn't particularly want to become a vampire either. Without multiclassing, is there a way for him to become immortal? Races, powers, etc? We have a pretty lenient DM so any weird ideas will probably work.

He is playing a Half-Elf bard by the way. Only level 3, but this is for the future of the campaign anyways.

JackPhoenix
2016-03-04, 10:01 PM
Any form of undeath.

Epic Boon of Immortality, DMG p. 232

Clone and Magic Jar can be used to achieve "body hopping" kind of immortality. Presumably Wish, but you risk something bad happening and losing the ability to cast that spell ever again.

Of course, you can still be killed, you just won't die of old age.

Ronnocius
2016-03-04, 10:24 PM
You could ascend to godhood, become sentient undead, or use an epic boon/effect that makes you invulnerable to old age/disease or regular damage (if such a thing exists.)

Talamare
2016-03-04, 10:28 PM
Who is Kanye West?

If you want to take the literal term of Immortal...
Create an infinite clone of yourself until you have an army of yourself, then when one of you die you're instantly replaced

Sigreid
2016-03-04, 11:29 PM
There's always the Fry method "Thanks to denile, I'm immortal."

Inevitability
2016-03-05, 02:19 AM
True Polymorphing (or being TP'ed) into a naturally immortal creature should work. A Pit Fiend or Balor is your best bet by CR, but a planetar, iron golem, or marilith should qualify too. Androsphinxes might work, but I'm not sure if they are immortal.

Who is Kanye West?

You, my friend, live a blessed life.

lebefrei
2016-03-05, 06:21 AM
This really only has one answer. If he wants to play a character as self-aggrandizing as Kanye West, he must seek godhood. This is probably best done as a bard, so it's a good class choice.

Bards speak the very words of creation. They already tap into a small part of that fabric of godhood. Now, everywhere he goes he must praise his own name (easily matching Kanye) and seek praise from others.

He has magic to influence his foes and allies alike, and he should use that whenever possible. Why kill a tribe of Hobgoblins when they can worship him? Why take a monetary payment from the local farmers when they can build a small temple in his name?

Later in the adventure, did your party greatly aid a king? Then the player must convince him, and the party, that it was thanks to his bardic divinity. As the kingdom contains the bard's "chosen people" they will be happy to at least add him to their list of worshipped gods, if not take him on as a their primary.

Yes, boon of immortality and other post20 features are useful in this quest. Yet, to obtain both the true immortality and recognition that such a man feels he deserves, he must also strive for much more. He has to be immortal in body and in the praise heaped upon him.

Spectre9000
2016-03-05, 07:32 AM
I think simply using a Clone spell should work fine for achieving at least EVE level immortality.