PDA

View Full Version : What next for my Rogue?

Grrosgor
2007-06-18, 10:29 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm new here but have been enjoying reading the forum for awhile! :)

I wanted to get some insights from the learnered members of the boards here about what I should do next with my character.

I'm currently playing in the world largest dungeon module - I'm sure most of you know what game that is. It's an enormous book! I'm the rogue of the party and after dying twice to traps have created a character to best handle them.

I'm currently playing a Dwarven Rogue/Sorcerer/Cleric. Levels 6/1/1. Sorcerer spells Magic Missile & Grease and Cleric Domains of Luck and Travel. I will be taking another cleric level and Practiced Spell caster to make the sorcerer spells more effective at 9th level.

The feats I currently have are: Alertness (from familiar), Weapon Finesse, Skill Focus: Search, Skill Focus: Disable Device.

I'm handling traps much better and the class combination has helped boost my saves as it seems the game's all about saving throws these days. The next level of cleric boosts Will & Fort a little bit more too.

What I'm really stuck on is how to make the rogue as effective as possible in combat. I currently have a holy long spear +1 but with a strength of 13 it doesn't hit much. I have a short sword +2 and rapier +1 and was thinking of taking 2 levels of fighter to get the bonus feats so by the time I'm 12th level I will have the feats: Two weapon fighting, improved critical: Rapier and Telling Blow.

This setup would allow me to do criticals more often and do sneak damage at the same time because lets face it, if a rogue isn't doing sneak damage in combat he's pretty useless.

Anyway, so sorry this post is so long.

I hope you can help me out.

Oh and btw I can only use the PH and feats/spells from the complete books & PHBII.

Cheers
Grrosgor

Raum
2007-06-18, 10:49 PM
If you're looking for combat effectiveness, I'd look into the Invisible Blade (CWar) or a similar roguish PrC with full BAB. Invisible Blade also gives some AC bonuses and feint abilities.

One thing you need to do is specialize. If you're relying on SA for damage, you need to hit multiple times during conditions denying your victim his Dex bonus. This means you need to flank consistently, use Greater Invisibility, or something similar. On the other hand, if you want high damage from a single hit you need high strength, power attack, and a two handed weapon. Either way you want more than 3/4 BAB so look at some of the full BAB PrCs. The caster class dips aren't going to help your melee damage much either but if you're going to keep them, I'd recommend looking into a selection of enhancement spells to help your rogue abilities - i.e. Truestrike or Obscuring Mist instead of Magic Missile. If you're using the PHB2 retraining rules you may be able to retrain items you don't like.

Yechezkiel
2007-06-18, 11:02 PM
Are you playing with or without xp penalties for the cross-classing you have going on there?

Grrosgor
2007-06-18, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the quick reply guys!

Raum: I'll check out Invisible Blade. I haven't got Cwar yet but I will soon. I did consider maxing bluff for feinting but balked at losing a round as it's a standard action although Improved Feint helps. Same sort of argument vs True strike, Grease is just more useful, especially when facing something that can grapple!

I guess I don't necessarily want to be umber hitty, just not feel totally useless in combat, since I've focused on trap detection and disable so much so far.

I don't think I'll ever get to a level where I can cast Greater Invis. The main reason I took Sorcerer was to get rays for distant sneak attacks, the familiar for Alertness and +2 to fort (Rat) and a couple of useful spells.

Have you or others found feinting good?

Yechezkiel: Interesting that actually. He hasn't said anything but likes to poke fun at the number of classes I do have. I'm pretty sure I could get away with adding 1 more class, but that'd be it. I think he's easier on me as I have the glorious job of putting myself in harms way for the party several times a session to disarm all those traps in this dungeon! :)

Cheers
Grrosgor