PDA

View Full Version : What might serve a Spectator?

Spectre9000
2016-03-05, 05:47 AM
Want to include a Spectator in my upcoming session, but whilst 2 of them together would be good, they almost always kill one another on sight. So, I'm looking at something that might serve under a spectator or at its side, and possibly increase the challenge some. There will be 5 level 3-4 characters in this session; Druid, Cleric, Necromancer, Ranger, and another player yet to be determined (new player to this campaign).

Officer Joy
2016-03-05, 06:03 AM
I had it accompanied by a bunch of flying swords, also left by the person. That put the spectator up to guarding his stuff.

gullveig
2016-03-05, 10:27 PM
Mimic, rust monster, gibbering mouther or any other absurdity abberation.

Brendanicus
2016-03-05, 10:57 PM
Mimic, rust monster, gibbering mouther or any other absurdity abberation.
This and maybe mephits or a nothic and oozes. Animated armors?

Inevitability
2016-03-06, 04:00 AM
Mimic sounds funny. Imagine this: long ago, a wizard summoned a spectator and commanded it to guard 'the contents of his treasure room'. Unbeknowst to the wizard, however, a mimic had snuck into his room some time ago.

When the spectator found out he'd been guarding a mimic the whole time, he was initially angry. Then, however, he realized it was his duty to guard the mimic, too. Over time, a friendship grew between the two. The spectator would create food and water for the mimic, and the mimic would amuse the spectator by turning into interesting objects.

Now, as the party approaches, the two companions prepare to defend their home... even if it means death.

Talamare
2016-03-06, 05:16 AM
Mimic sounds funny. Imagine this: long ago, a wizard summoned a spectator and commanded it to guard 'the contents of his treasure room'. Unbeknowst to the wizard, however, a mimic had snuck into his room some time ago.

When the spectator found out he'd been guarding a mimic the whole time, he was initially angry. Then, however, he realized it was his duty to guard the mimic, too. Over time, a friendship grew between the two. The spectator would create food and water for the mimic, and the mimic would amuse the spectator by turning into interesting objects.

Now, as the party approaches, the two companions prepare to defend their home... even if it means death.

I think I just cried a little, could you just like... put a really deadly trap before this room so that the adventurers will be near death, see the spectator then runaway

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-06, 05:25 AM

This sounds as a good story to me. Don't have much to add. Although the flying sword idea could also work really well and there could be more.

Ronnocius
2016-03-06, 03:40 PM
As other have suggested, other guardian monsters employed by the spectator's master could be good. Animated objects, summoned elementals/undead. The story with the mimic is great, and other wandering aberrations might decide to assist.

I would suggest that animated objects or summoned elementals would be best though.

Suteinu
2016-03-06, 03:46 PM
Rather than swords, you could have him accompanied by flying baseball bats. After all, baseball is a Spectator sport.