PDA

View Full Version : War Cleric Questions

JumboWheat01
2016-03-05, 08:58 AM
I really draft up far too many characters, and so many of them are halflings! Don't diss the my halflings! They'll stab you in the ankle.

Oh right, questions.

Anyhoo, I'm drafting up a Stout Halfling War Cleric. My main questions are:

1) Is not capping Wisdom all right? It'll be 18 in the end, but my main priority is getting Dexterity to 20, as I am making a WAR Cleric, not a peace Cleric.

2) When should I grab War Caster? While getting Dexterity to cap first does seem the more logical idea, War Caster is a very powerful feat for a melee caster.

Those are my big two. Wait, why not play a Ghostwise? My DM-buddy doesn't like them, and doesn't want them in. Plus, I also think they're kinda creepy. Gimme my good ol' Stouts any day. I love my Stout Halflings.

Spacehamster
2016-03-05, 09:02 AM
I really draft up far too many characters, and so many of them are halflings! Don't diss the my halflings! They'll stab you in the ankle.

Oh right, questions.

Anyhoo, I'm drafting up a Stout Halfling War Cleric. My main questions are:

1) Is not capping Wisdom all right? It'll be 18 in the end, but my main priority is getting Dexterity to 20, as I am making a WAR Cleric, not a peace Cleric.

2) When should I grab War Caster? While getting Dexterity to cap first does seem the more logical idea, War Caster is a very powerful feat for a melee caster.

Those are my big two. Wait, why not play a Ghostwise? My DM-buddy doesn't like them, and doesn't want them in. Plus, I also think they're kinda creepy. Gimme my good ol' Stouts any day. I love my Stout Halflings.

1: yes and you can always focus on spells that does not require attack rolls or saves, then it's prob fine at 16 even.

2: at level 8 probably, at level 4 up DEX to 18 and WIS to 16? :)

Could also take 3 levels ranger for dueling, colossus slayer, hunters mark, that with the extra d8's war clerics gets from their features makes for pretty an pretty impressive attack at 3 ranger 14 cleric it would be 4d8 + 1d6 + 7, with hunters mark as the only active resource. Not too shabby. :)

Tanarii
2016-03-05, 10:13 AM
What do you want Warcaster for? How important is that to you?

For a cleric with melee weapons, it provides one big benefit, and one minor one. The big benefit is advantage on concentration. That's really what you're trading your ASI for. How important is that to you?

The minor one is being able to cast V/S spells without putting away your weapon. Two points here: you can already cast V/S/M spells without putting away your weapon as a cleric, because Holy Symbol, so the number of spells limited is small(ish); putting away your weapon just means you lose your opportunity attack between rounds, you redraw it next round you want to make an attack.

Edit: personal opinion, a War priest or any other subclass build getting martial weapons then using it for a rapier or one-handed weapon just feels like throwing away a class benefit. I always make 2H weapon war priests, thunder priests, valor bards and bladelocks myself. So I'd be using a Longsword in 2H. Especially since being dex build also throws away the heavy armor upgrade. So I'd be building my stout war priest to use a Battleaxe in two hands. which of course wastes +2 Dex bonus, but my hangup is not wasting class abilities, Don't judge me and I won't judge your halflng hangup :p

JumboWheat01
2016-03-05, 10:29 AM
What do you want Warcaster for? How important is that to you?

For a cleric with melee weapons, it provides one big benefit, and one minor one. The big benefit is advantage on concentration. That's really what you're trading your ASI for. How important is that to you?

The minor one is being able to cast V/S spells without putting away your weapon. Two points here: you can already cast V/S/M spells without putting away your weapon as a cleric, because Holy Symbol, so the number of spells limited is small(ish); putting away your weapon just means you lose your opportunity attack between rounds, you redraw it next round you want to make an attack.

Edit: personal opinion, a War priest or any other subclass build getting martial weapons then using it for a rapier or one-handed weapon just feels like throwing away a class benefit. I always make 2H weapon war priests, thunder priests, valor bards and bladelocks myself. So I'd be using a Longsword in 2H. Especially since being dex build also throws away the heavy armor upgrade. So I'd be building my stout war priest to use a Battleaxe in two hands. which of course wastes +2 Dex bonus, but my hangup is not wasting class abilities, Don't judge me and I won't judge your halflng hangup :p

I'm mostly going for the advantage on concentration. The occasional benefit of casting without putting my weapon away is nice, but not the main thing I'm focusing on. I considered Resilience Constitution, but I'm starting at an even Constitution score, so I didn't really wanna mess things up.

And no, I won't judge your build preferences. That's the amazing thing about D&D, the numerous, numerous ways characters can be made. I just like odder class/character choices. An agile Cleric is just so different from the norm, that's why I love the idea so much.

Tanarii
2016-03-05, 10:59 AM
And no, I won't judge your build preferences. That's the amazing thing about D&D, the numerous, numerous ways characters can be made. I just like odder class/character choices. An agile Cleric is just so different from the norm, that's why I love the idea so much.
For sure. A build I'm planning to try is Rogue 3 / Cleric (Trickery) X. I may have to do it as a stout halfling now. :)

JumboWheat01
2016-03-05, 11:11 AM
For sure. A build I'm planning to try is Rogue 3 / Cleric (Trickery) X. I may have to do it as a stout halfling now. :)

Stout halflings are quite addicting, I warn you now. But enjoy.